New Member - South West

#1 by Jos8282 , Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:16 am

Morning all,

I've just signed up as am looking to buy my first L200 and wanted to get some tips as to what to look out for when viewing them. I am looking at my first L200 tomorrow it's a low mileage K74 model, and looks pretty good in the photos and video the guy sent me, but would appreciate some pointers from the experts?

Background about myself, I am from Somerset, I'm a big VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) fan, having owned a couple of Seat Leons, an Audi S3, two Skoda Octavias, a VW T4 and my pride and joy my Mk2 Golf, I still have the Golf (270bhp pocket rocket) and T4 (camper), but I am about to start a self-build barn conversion so wanted to get a pickup and I've loved the old L200's since they were first released so now is the perfect opportunity to get one.

Jos

Jos8282  
Jos8282
Date registered 03.11.2020

RE: New Member - South West

#2 by krutly , Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:28 am

hello mate

if I were looking for another classic my check-list would be
make sure it doesn't overheat (floor it on a long hill and watch temp gauge doesn't go above half way, if it goes above half way I'd walk away)
make sure there are no bubbles in the expansion tank when you turn the engine off (usually head gasket if there are bubbles)
if it's an animal make sure the power chip is still there (passenger foot-well silver box)
check for rust on front cross member and rear mud flap things next to back of cab
check for wobbles in the front pulley (if it wobbles, walk away)
check all the warning lights come on when you turn the ignition on then importantly go back out when it's running
check for excess smoke (mine gave a small puff on first start up)
check the 4wd high and low work (on loose or slippery ground not tarmac or you'll break it)
make sure the green 4x4 light goes back out when back into 2wd
check for wear on gear levers and steering wheel are consistent with the mileage
check the DVLA mot checker to see it's history of mileage and mot passes and fails
check the hangers on the rear box as they rust for a pass-time
check for oil leaks in the engine bay, common ones is the half moon seal at the rear of engine
service history would be a bonus but certainly not a deal breaker as even the most meticulously serviced engines can fail
check it has the tool thingy if there are locking wheel nuts
if it's an animal with 18inch alloys, check there plenty of tread as those tyres aint the cheapest
check it's got a spare wheel as many get pinched
and I'd avoid a truck that's had a reconditioned engine as the 'reconditioned engines' are rarely done well and seldom last long
all depends on your budget really, if you're spending less than a grand then expect to come across a lot if not all of the above issues
if you're spending 2 to 3 grand then be picky and walk away if needs be
do bear in mind that even the newest K74 will be 15 years old now

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
9-3-20 Welcome to 4 new members

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor