Diff lock questions

#1 by Ilkilla , Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:14 am

Hi all, I have a few questions about the locking diff and I hope some of you will be able to point me in the right direction. I have look online for a while now but not been able to find much out about them.

The problem I'm having is that it isnt working. But I dont know how they work. There isnt much online about them, the only thing I can find is a switch that threads into the diff casing.

I have noticed something on the rear chassis cross member that looks like a canister of some sorts that nearly rusted away to nothing but cant fine anything about what this is or what it does.

The only other thing I can see that I think is related to it is in the drivers front wheel well is a large canister with vaccume hoses attached to it but again I cant find anything about this particular part online.

When I start the truck the diff lock switch on the dash lights up then goes out as I assume its ment to but when you press it to engage the lock nothing happens and the light doesnt come on. I'm sure the first day I had the truck I was playing with it all and the light did come on and stay on.

But if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what everything as and what it does so I can begin to fi d out what's up with the bloodybthing that would be great.

I should also add it's a 2005 worrior.

Just baught an 05 plate classic worrior that needs everything replacing underneath by the looks of things.

Why do I do this to myself.

Ilkilla
Date registered 06.05.2019

RE: Diff lock questions

#2 by krutly , Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 am

diff lock will only engage if you are in 4WD low or high if you are in 2WD it wont do anything
it will also disengage when you reach 7 miles an hour IIRC
my diff lock light was on the switch itself , dont remember there being one on the dash but no two L200s are ever the same as we've found over the years
the canisters should be vacuum canisters to store the vacuum used in the 4WD system
they seem to rot for a pass time on classics and even getting a second hand one means it'll be the same age as the one you have at best so you take a chance
not sure if @123hotchef cheffy has ever come up with a replacement solution to replace/refurbish them
usually not having vacuum will give you a green flashing 4x4 light
if you've not got this then either your vac system is fine or some has taken the green bulb out

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by Ilkilla , Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Yeah I have the flashing light ever since the first time I used 4 wheel drive but it does go off intermittentlybut always comes on again. I'll try putting the truck in 4wd and see if it works then I diddnt know that was the case. And thelight is on the switch just by the steering wheel.

Can you buy the vaccume canister new.

Thanks for the reply anyway its given me a few things to try out.

Just baught an 05 plate classic worrior that needs everything replacing underneath by the looks of things.

Why do I do this to myself.

Ilkilla
Date registered 06.05.2019

#4 by krutly , Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:10 pm

the flashing green 4x4 light is pretty much the most common issue/fault with a classic and can be a bugger to fault find with as you could replace every pipe one by one to try and find the leak and still be none the wiser.
when you try the 4WD system , make sure you're on a loose surface as driving on tarmac etc in 4WD will give you diff wind up leading to expensive damage to diff/gearbox.
worth pulling the little rubber bellows back on the front diff actuator and squirting inside with WD40 or the like, that can sometimes cure a flashing 4x4 light.
I would assume you can get the canister new but it will be a dealer only part so expect to have your pants pulled down by the dealer if you try getting one.
I would imagine it can't be that hard to make one as all is is a sealed container with a couple of pipes coming out of it as far as I understand.

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#5 by 123hotchef , Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:13 pm

post some pics up of your rusty bits the diff lock compressor is bolted to the cross member abouve the rear diff and there is a pipe from that to the rear diff and a breather from that into the chassis

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Flashing orange diff lock light

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor