Front End Bolt Sizes 2002

#1 by Turtoise , Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:53 am

Hello,
Have decided to use downtime to give of my 2004 (2002 built) 4 life a little care and attention. The front end is looking a bot tatty so have removed the front bumper ready to repaint the front panel and refirb the bumper. No surprises several bolts sheared in the process despite lots of penetrating oil sprayed on in the previous few days.

Fortunatley I think i have got to the rusty bits behind the bumper just in time so wire brushing and paint in due course.

In the meantime I wonder if the forum could help with bolt sizes please as I am about to order some stainless replacements online. The supplier is just across town but probably like many of you I am shut up so can't take the existing bolts to get them matched.

Measurents I have made of the diameter of the threads are:

Sump Guard and Bumper Supports 10mm (14mm socket)
Further sump bolts and general fixing bolts 8mm diameter (12mm Socket)
Now for the odd one fixing bolts for the tray supporting the bottom of the bumper appear to be 6mm (10mm Socket)

Does this sound about right to you or is there a more figures/ specs I should be using.

It's a while since I have had the spanners out as normally using the truck every day I have been reluctant to take it apart knowing it probably would not go back together very quckly! Many thanks for your help.

BW Turtoise

Turtoise  
Turtoise
Date registered 03.26.2020

RE: Front End Bolt Sizes 2002

#2 by krutly , Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Quote: Turtoise wrote in post #1
Further sump bolts and general fixing bolts 8mm diameter (12mm Socket)

most of mine sheared off the first time I removed the sump guards
I replaced mine with stainless and they came with 13mm heads not 12mm , still the same thread though
think just about every bolt on these trucks is 1.5 pitch if that helps ?
due to the age of these trucks and the fact that many a L200 nut appears to be made of cheese you'll no doubt shear a few more before you're done

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by Tek76 , Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:18 pm

Be fair Kurt, you're dealing with metal dinosaurs with pointed badges on them...at least he's not faced with the fuel tank refurb and all those quirks.

Anything is possible, all you need is imagination or own a bank!
2011DCLB - No I'm not compensating.

Tek76
Date registered 07.18.2018

#4 by Turtoise , Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:26 pm

Many thanks Krutley. That helps alot. Did my bolt diamaters sound about right? Some of them were a bit softer than cheese.
any idea where I can get the white plastic 'half moon' clips that the top edge of the bumper slots back into. It was the last one to come out and I had a fight with it. I won! (but need a replacement now ......)

The kids see the truck as an hierloom so they'll be upset if I don't look after it. Even if they can@t drive it anywhere due to deisel bans .... Nice to have something to pay with over the coming weeks. Thanks for your help.

P.s since we last spoke many moons ago about turbos, had the truck chipped. Doesn't go faster but a bit more grunt towing up hills. They also tamed my troublesome turbo before dong the work too.

Turtoise  
Turtoise

#5 by Turtoise , Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:30 pm

Not done the tank yet, touch wood. Mind you it has been liberally sprayed coated with wax every couple of years as has the underside of the bed. Anyway quite fond of the beastie so time to look after it.

Turtoise  
Turtoise

#6 by krutly , Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:35 pm

diameters sound about right to me bud
not sure what you mean by the half moon clips, dont remember seeing them last time I put a bumper back on

a classic wouldn't be a classic without
a rusty front cross member
a flashing green 4x4 light
overboost EML light issues
seized front caliper sliders
an overheating problem
sticking electric windows
a strange clunk from underneath
a spare wheel mech rusted up
a dented tailgate
a de-laminating front pulley
rusty stack pipes
H4 headlight bulbs stuck
sticking load sensor
rotten rear arch flaps
and excess wear on front nearside tyre

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#7 by Tek76 , Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:33 pm

@krutly forgot one thing, a part from mikeinatruck!

Anything is possible, all you need is imagination or own a bank!
2011DCLB - No I'm not compensating.

Tek76
Date registered 07.18.2018

#8 by ronniecabers , Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:49 pm

Thats a pretty accurate list Mr K ... you forgot a revved EGR cooler and valve though lol...

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#9 by Turtoise , Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 pm

Thant is indeed a long list. Quite pleased that I have managed to deal with or keep most at bay.
Egr Valvel - that was deleted with the remap although all the hardware is still in place so it looks standard.
Waxing has kept the spare in good nick but agree with all these, Replacement rear aluminium flaps hens teeth. One in europe at last enquiry, but not a pair. Thinking of losing these and fabricating some new ones out of heavy conveyer belt rubber and riveting/ bolting them in place.
Tailgate done- took me back years with all the prep and 'plastic padding'. Got spray cans made up locally.
Half mooon clips aren't half moon. had a look again they are like an old book of matches folded over central under the headlamps.
Oh and the 4X4 solenoid id beinf stroppy to an the moment so agree with the clonk from underneath. And the moss growing out of my leaking canopy! But thanks very much for you comments on the bolts and the work checklist. BW

Turtoise  
Turtoise

#10 by Turtoise , Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Thant is indeed a long list. Quite pleased that I have managed to deal with or keep most at bay.
Egr Valvel - that was deleted with the remap although all the hardware is still in place so it looks standard.
Waxing has kept the spare in good nick but agree with all these, Replacement rear aluminium flaps hens teeth. One in europe at last enquiry, but not a pair. Thinking of losing these and fabricating some new ones out of heavy conveyer belt rubber and riveting/ bolting them in place.
Tailgate done- took me back years with all the prep and 'plastic padding'. Got spray cans made up locally.
Half mooon clips aren't half moon. had a look again they are like an old book of matches folded over central under the headlamps.
Oh and the 4X4 solenoid id beinf stroppy to an the moment so agree with the clonk from underneath. And the moss growing out of my leaking canopy! But thanks very much for you comments on the bolts and the work checklist. BW

Turtoise  
Turtoise

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Central locking

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor