Stuck in rear wheel drive

#1 by PorkPie , Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:44 am

My 2006 l200 has always been a bit funny with 4wd - with the dashboard lights having a flashing center diff (never goes solid) when popped in 4wd. It always used to be the two front wheels were green. I'm not sure when it changed, but now the dashboard lights show the rear wheels solid green, with the front wheels not lit up, and when put in 4wd, the front lights and center diff light flash and never go solid.
What's going on? If it is stuck in rwd, will that be damaging at all? It actually feels a little sluggish, like the hind brakes are slightly on, especially noticeable when i'm accelerating.

2006 L200 (new shape) Animal Di-D Double Cab 2.5

PorkPie  
PorkPie
Date registered 03.01.2018

RE: Stuck in rear wheel drive

#2 by cottonfields1 , Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:42 am

Hi,

No expert but have had a similar issue.

The lights are flashing when in transition or at least 4wd commanded. It is recommended to not shift the 4wd whilst still in transition. Try driving at 5mph in a straight line or reverse to see if the diff lock goes solid amber as opposed to flashing.

If not, this could be a leak as the system may not have sufficient pressure build up. Check the vaccum lines to the diff for leaks, the hoses/lines go from inside the rear of drivers wheel arch (solenoids) down to the accumulator (about the size of drinks can) and then down to the front diff.

Also , look to find a rubber boot coming off the right hand side of the front diff when the car is selected into 4wd does the pin under the boot move freely, if not lube it up and slide it using pliers or screwdriver etc.

I can send pics if that helps.

All the best

2006 Series 4 B40 - Elegance

cottonfields1  
cottonfields1
Date registered 05.25.2020

#3 by PorkPie , Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Quote: cottonfields1 wrote in post #2
Hi,

No expert but have had a similar issue.

The lights are flashing when in transition or at least 4wd commanded. It is recommended to not shift the 4wd whilst still in transition. Try driving at 5mph in a straight line or reverse to see if the diff lock goes solid amber as opposed to flashing.

If not, this could be a leak as the system may not have sufficient pressure build up. Check the vaccum lines to the diff for leaks, the hoses/lines go from inside the rear of drivers wheel arch (solenoids) down to the accumulator (about the size of drinks can) and then down to the front diff.

Also , look to find a rubber boot coming off the right hand side of the front diff when the car is selected into 4wd does the pin under the boot move freely, if not lube it up and slide it using pliers or screwdriver etc.

I can send pics if that helps.

All the best

Yes pics would be fantastic, thank you.
How would i check the vaccuum lines for leaks? I'm assuming they'll be leaking air?

2006 L200 (new shape) Animal Di-D Double Cab 2.5

PorkPie  
PorkPie
Date registered 03.01.2018

#4 by Nick , Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:38 am

2 rear wheels solid green is normal, as that is normal 2WD
This will not damage your truck.
4H can be used anytime anywhere as yours is an Aminal model it should have Super Select 4x4.
4L and 4Llc should only be used on loose ground mud snow grass etc.
If your 4x4 lever won't move there is a plastic bush that wears on the bottom of the lever.

2017 Ford Kuga AWD 180 Titanium X.
2018 Abarth 595 - Now Sold.
2013 Grey Barbarian - Now Sold
2006 Black Warrior (New Shape) - Now Sold
2005 Black Warrior (Classic) - Now Sold
Stoke On Trent

Nick
Date registered 10.02.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
P2413 egr

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor