Kenwood DNX4230DAB fail (2013 Barbarian)

#1 by Geoff ( Guest ) , Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi -i was hoping someone could advise what a decent replacement for the above is? Mine has died -blank screen/no volume although the reset light works and the cooling fan comes on so is still getting power. i have checked all the relevant fuses and tried to reflow the ic500 chip on the daughter board but this has not worked. I gather they are discontinued and even if i could find one they are expensive -and do not want to do like for like as the same thing will probably happen again.
Has anyone had the same issue and replaced with something cost effective that still connects to the mic/reversing camera etc?
Thanks in advance
Geoff

Geoff

RE: Kenwood DNX4230DAB fail (2013 Barbarian)

#2 by Geoff ( Guest ) , Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 am

Quick update -Kenwood use a service centre called Fullers who assure me they can fix it - it is a common problem with the 'daughter board' microchip apparently (discontinued). £160 plus VAT which is an ok price versus a new kenwood system (£36 if they try and cannot fix it).

Geoff

#3 by Quick Fix ( Guest ) , Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:10 pm

Hot air gun for a minute on the daughter board works like a treat

Quick Fix

#4 by Mariner ( Guest ) , Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:01 pm

I have the same problem and contacted Fullers. No guarantee of fix and postage costs etc might be better spent on replacement,
although even ‘ salvage’ units are £300 plus.
I did reflow on daughter board and it works, but the unit usually fails again after about 3 weeks. Just done my 6th reflow, got it down to 15 minutes start to fitted but getting fed up with it. Would love to know if anyone has identified a replacement unit.
Since this appears to be a common fault, lots of reports worldwide on internet, I am surprised and annoyed that kenwood can’t offer a replacement daughter board.

Mariner

Engine siezed on l200 2020
Feedback and what to look when buying one

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor