EGR cleaning

#1 by yasser , Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:56 pm

My Mpg is slowly going down and i need to do something about it. I'm reluctant to put it straight into the dealer for them to have it a day and a half and come back as no fault found without having a look at it myself. I do a lot of short journeys at a time and i know this is not good for the EGR. When its sat there idling the revs go up and then back to normal all on its own and then there is some sort of noise that also appears. it sounds a bit like an aerosol being squirted for a few seconds, so i'm thinking its trying to regen or something. Maybe i need to clean the egr with some spray but i have a series 5 and it appears the egr is down towards the back of the engine. I've tried searching but can't find any help related to the series 5, is there anyone on here that has done this?

2017 Series 5 Barbarian

yasser
Date registered 08.20.2018

RE: EGR cleaning

#2 by krutly , Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:43 pm

mate of mine had something similar but not on a series 5
loss of MPG engine felt sluggish and a noise that sounded a bit like an air leak somewhere
turned out to be the DPF all clogged up
a forced regen and a clean out with an airline and everything was cured
this was till 6 months later when the same symptoms returned
this time he took the DPF off , cut it open, took the insides out and welded it all back up again
he's not had the problem since
all his journeys are/were short , just a few miles at a time

obviously I'm not suggesting you mess with the emission controls in any way as that would go against current MOT regulations

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by davebulley , Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:38 am

Personally I would blank off the EGR as your feeding your engine part of its exhaust gas. Would you drink/eat your own...? I think the new style L200s you can plug something in to delete the EGR which can be easily unplugged for the exhaust test for an MOT. I have the K74 shape (series 3) and got through UK MOTs with the EGR blanked off.

I agree with gutting the DPF...I live in Bulgaria and it happens a lot here (easier with extremely relaxed MOT) where peoples DPF/Catalytic converter choke up. They normally take the car to someone who guts it and gets payed double bubble (once for the job and once for the scrap platinum/palladium).

If you are going to gut it I would suggest removing the DPF and cutting it from the top. That way when its on the ramp for its MOT the inspector is less likely to spot it as it would class as MOT fail. I think its actually illegal to remove a DPF from your car if it should be fitted?

L200 K74 - 92,000 miles and counting!

davebulley
Date registered 07.03.2020

#4 by yasser , Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Thank you @krutly and @davebulley , I would love to be able to delete the egr with a remap but unfortunately i'm not sure if its now possible with the current mot rules here in the uk. so i have to look at periodic cleaning or a little gizmo that you plug in. From what i understand, this little gizmo plugs into the mafs and then you plug into that. I think alters the air temp from the mafs to trick the egr not to operate. But surely this would also mean that the ECU would also alter other parameters based on this false temp. could this cause problems in other areas?

2017 Series 5 Barbarian

yasser

Last edited 07.27.2020 | Top

#5 by krutly , Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 am

@FoxyChris may be able to advise further on this

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#6 by yasser , Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:20 pm

Well, i've bought a can of Egr cleaner, Mafs Cleaner and one of those little gizmo. Its in for a service and mot on friday so next week i'll have a go at it. I think i'll start with just spaying the cleaner to see if i get any results. If i dont i'll take things off to clean them.

2017 Series 5 Barbarian

yasser

#7 by yasser , Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:18 pm

I got round to using the egr cleaner i bought the other day. From just looking at my mpg I'm quite impressed. Going to Inverness and back usually gave a mpg reading of about 32, where as when i bought the vehicle it used to read 38 ish. I went to Dingwall with a bit of shopping in Inverness and back(about 65 miles) this morning and its reading 40.9. Going to Cornwall next week so that will give me a better idea of how its doing. As i cant get rid of the egr i'm going to concentrate on keeping it clean. I've bought a Provent 200 filter to stop the oil going back through the intake, all i have to do is fit it. All I need is the right hose to connect it up(if anyone knows the correct name for the right hose i'd be grateful). If anyone is interested this is the EGR cleaner I used.

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2017 Series 5 Barbarian

yasser

Last edited 08.11.2020 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
More advice required.

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor