Difficult gear selection

#1 by Nimitz42 , Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:36 pm

I suspect my clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder might be playing up, it's getting difficult to get 1st, 2nd and reverse gear on my 2009 b40, I have already replaced the transmission oil but has not really made any difference, I noticed the last couple of weeks that when the clutch pedal was depressed there would be a squeak coming from the slave cyl, but I have heard this can be quite normal, just wondered if these parts can be quite common to fail on series 4s.

Nimitz42  
Nimitz42
Date registered 08.14.2020

RE: Difficult gear selection

#2 by Heathen , Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:45 pm

Am no expert in those models, but first thing I'd try is changing the fluid and give it a good bleed. If that doesn't work, then I'd say it's more likely to be the release bearing thats on the way out, possibly to the point where it's started to wear out the release forks.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen
Date registered 05.20.2016

#3 by Heathen , Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:49 pm

Mind you having said that, just fixed an Audi A3 with the same symptoms where the end of the plunger had snapped off the master cylinder so clutch wasn't disengaging all the way, but those cars are made almost entirely of plastic.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#4 by Nimitz42 , Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:23 am

Thank you Heathen for your advice, the previous owner did say the vehicle had a new clutch fitted only recently,so I would have thought a new release brg too, I think I will change the fluid first as you suggested and check operation of clutch, and see how it is and then if no good, order a slave cylinder from milners!

Nimitz42  
Nimitz42

#5 by Nimitz42 , Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:02 am

quick update whilst driving this morning to work from cold the gear changes were a bit better so it may well be the clutch fluid and the slave cylinder, I noticed yesterday after a long drive the gearchanges got worse due to constant gear changing and heating up of the fluid having a effect on the seal and causing a difficult gear change.

Nimitz42  
Nimitz42

#6 by krutly , Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:48 pm

when mine is stone cold changing back from 2nd to 1st is harder than it should be but pretty much clears within a minute or so
I also get a squeak when I press the clutch but only when everything is soaking wet , nowt when it's dry

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#7 by Heathen , Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Quote: krutly wrote in post #6
when mine is stone cold changing back from 2nd to 1st is harder than it should be but pretty much clears within a minute or so
I also get a squeak when I press the clutch but only when everything is soaking wet , nowt when it's dry

As you know Kurt, that's pretty common on the K74 box as well - does seem a bit wierd that it's back to front this time, but also suggests it isn't a problem with the box itself. I'd place money on it being the release bearing - although it is essential that it's replaced when the clutch is changed, I'd love to know how often "clutch centres" actually do it...

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

Last edited 09.01.2020 | Top

#8 by Nimitz42 , Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Hi guys right i have had a look today and checked the clutch fluid and it's black definitely needs changing, also I checked the slave cylinder and pulled back the bellow and it's weeping black fluid so I am pretty sure this the culprit, so I am going to order a new slave cylinder and change the fluid and then see if it solves the issue. Thanks again!

Nimitz42  
Nimitz42

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Brake pad and disc size l200 k74 ?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor