Kenwood head unit replacement

#1 by reddog , Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi Guys

Just brought a 2011 Barbarian auto.
Having read through a lot of stuff on here I believe it is an older spec without DPF thank god.
Also the only controls on steering wheel are for the cruise control.

The Kenwood head unit looks to have been fitted as an aftermarket improvement but has seen better days and has more thing that dont work than do.
Where the original single din unit fitted there is a blanking plate, it has no other screen for MPG or other display.

So my question is I have been looking a a cheap android unit to replace it from ebay or the like:

The size of the unit is the same as the Kenwood but my worry is that I would lose the cruise control or anything else that would be connected via the display.
Any ideas?

John

reddog
Date registered 10.02.2020

RE: Kenwood head unit replacement

#2 by krutly , Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:25 pm

mine came with a tray/coin holder whatever you want to call it

the info display was an optional extra from Mitsubishi for around 400 quid part number SP036827

there were 2 types of kenwood fitted I believe, the one with a slightly smaller screen with a button/knob on the left hand side and the other one I've got

older series 4 models had a silver single din head unit in the lower bit where my info screen now is and a slightly smaller than double din display in the top binnacle
the cruise control on mine has nothing to do with the stereo so shouldn't be affected by changing it
the compass/mpg/temp and all the other stuff on the info display are just a gimmick really
mine spends 99% of it's time displaying the time and date as that's of more interest to me than the barometric pressure or feet above sea level etc
my stereo spends most of it's time connected via bluetooth to my phone so I can play stuff through spotify

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by reddog , Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks
I already have the infill where the other display should be.
The kenwood is doing my head in and I've only had it a week. The microphone on the blue tooth make me sound like a Dalek, the volume button on screen only works to decrease, the CD is broken and the radio presets don't work, reverse camera has a black screen saying "mode full" 50% of the time, oh and the remote has more buttons than a scientific calculator...apart from that its fine.

Fitted one of the cheap aftermarkets in my sons first car, all touch screen satnav, Bluetooth for phone and via his phone as a hotspot downloaded all his music from amazon which we subscribe to anyway.
It was certainly a dam site more user friendly than the Kenwood even if most of the instructions were in Chinese.
If I decide to go ahead I will post the results

John

reddog

#4 by reddog , Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:58 pm

Thanks for the pics Krutly, mine appears to be the same model without the extra display.
Will get it out and see what the wiring is, may just have to splice onto the new connector if I get one.
If there is nothing else connected it should just be power and speakers with plug in for GPS and aerial and the newer ones have a built in mic so saves wiring a new one in.
Then just sort out the wiring for the rear camera and Bobs your aunty.
Will have to talk the wife around into spending more money on it already LOL

John

reddog

#5 by krutly , Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:09 pm

it does sound like yours is on it's last legs so to speak
here's a picture of the back of mine, plugs are labelled if you zoom in

the mike for mine is up by my sun visor , I thought it was one of those ultra sonic jobbers for the alarm till I was told otherwise
I do know what you mean about the remote control too
mine has more buttons than Cadburys hardly any of which are actually needed

and as it's an 'upgraded' stereo from the original the remote doesn't fit in the special space that's made specifically for the remote inside the centre arm rest

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Knock knock

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor