kb4t Main lights cause issues

#1 by Conor , Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:00 pm

Evening all

I've not been using my pickup at night at all for a while because of covid getting in the way and not working or doing normal evening things, so when I was just checking over my trailer lights ready for a bit of work I thought I'd check the pickup lights too. Turns out when I put the lights on the windscreen washer pump starts. When I put on main beam the main beam on all the front passenger side indicators, and lights don't work, turning off main beam does not get them working again - I have to turn them off and take the key out.

Drivers side of car lights all fine and so are all rear lights.

I've disconnected the washer pump for the moment so that I can have at least dipped lights on and I'll just not use main beam.

Does anyone have any experience of issues like this? Any suggestions of best places to look for rubbed wires or any circuit boards/connectors etc that could have corrosion on that might affect these things?

I live in a coastal location in North West Scotland, so plenty of nasty corrosive salt in the air that gets places to corrode things and rust things.

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts,

Conor

2010 4life

Conor  
Conor
Date registered 01.24.2015

RE: kb4t Main lights cause issues

#2 by Daviemtc , Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:24 pm

Electrickery no my strong point either, but could be worth checking the stalks on the steering column seem to remember a similar thing on one of my K74's replaced the indicator stalk etc and all was good.
How's sunny Loch Ewe? I've no been up that way for donkeys. used to stay at Cove for a wee while when I was a youth, Living in an old Bedford TK telecom box.
Actually we stayed mostly in one of the old gun emplacements from the war.
We used to row out to Anthrax island to pick winkles.

If it's not broken yet, you're not trying hard enough.

Daviemtc
Date registered 07.27.2016

Last edited 04.12.2021 | Top

#3 by Conor , Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:58 am

Cheers Daviemtc, it's another stunning day at Loch Ewe - heading out with a couple of customers kayaking around the craggy coastline at Mellon Charles shortly. Getting out skiing just now? I've not recently but lots of friends are getting out in some fantastic conditions just now!

Yes, the stalk and that area is something I'll look at, cheers - just not convinced it's the lights stalk solely because the washer pump is on the other stalk. At the moment whichever stalk I pull I get washer fluid on the windscreen! I now realise why I confused myself a few weeks ago whilst flashing someone!

Supposedly Anthrax island is decontaminated.... whenever I'm there I don't dig about much in the soil just in case!

Cheers,

Conor

2010 4life

Conor  
Conor

#4 by Daviemtc , Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:40 pm

@Conor . Aye Gruinard was decontaminated a good few years ago now , no sure about when we were going out tho, plenty rabbits too, which obviously didn't kill me, the winkles went for export to France and Spain anyhoo, survival food only them snotty wee things. No much skiing lately my hips been giving me loads of gip, got a good few days in earlier in the year tho. Hoping to get a few more if uplift resumes in Glencoe by the weekend, fingers crossed. Been focusing my attention on the veg garden, Koi ponds, and of course the K74, attempting to get back into homebrewing, first batch ready in two weeks hopefully wont be too bad lol,

If it's not broken yet, you're not trying hard enough.

Daviemtc
Date registered 07.27.2016

#5 by Conor , Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:02 pm

Yes, decontaminated but I just can't help but be slightly wary! I've camped on it and not had any issues yet!
Fingers crossed next year will be another good ski year but without the restrictions and with some lifts running.

I'm thinking that my lights issue is probably a localised issue in the area of the lights rather than with the steering wheel stalks or relay board - I've been looking at the wiring diagrams and the cables from the stalks to the relays are the same cable for both left and right hand lights. Since it's just the passenger side that has issues it means it's more likely to be more localised to that area I suspect. I'll have to have another play with the circuit tester.

Cheers, Conor

2010 4life

Conor  
Conor

#6 by Conor , Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:29 pm

Fixed

Just to help anyone out looking at the same problem, it was simply the earth connection to the bodywork. As soon as I wiggled the wires at the connection the connections broke away. Yes - I do have rust and corrosion issues on my pickup!

Earth connection point can be found if you follow wires from headlight bulbs, when they join the mass of wires follow the mass away from the engine fuse box. I adjusted the wires and connected them to the first connection screw that the -ve battery main lead connects to the bodywork.

Cheers, Conor

2010 4life

Conor  
Conor

#7 by The raging bull , Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:11 pm

Cheers for the update Conor, I have a lighting issue myself although slightly different which I was putting down to an earthing problem. On mine, the front dipped beam, dash lights and rear tail light all stopped working on the drivers side but all the other lights are fine including the brake light which is on the same bulb as the rear lamp which has lead me to thinking the earth fault. I will probably have a look at this in the morning as my first job on the list of things to do. You’ve actually given me a starting point, thanks 👍

The raging bull
Date registered 04.18.2020

Maff sensor
Ignition barrel illumination

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor