2013 L200 FSH Timing belt failure - liability?

#1 by GunnerBill , Fri May 28, 2021 10:52 am

In relation to my previous post.

My L200 (D4D56) has a full Mitsubishi service history. the timing belt was replaced at 58000 miles and failed a couple of days ago at 72000 miles.

My mechanic has said that when he does this he always replaces the pully's but that it looks like in this case the pully's seized causing the problem. He spoke to the Mitsubishi garage that did the work and they are saying that because the Mitsubishi schedule is that pully's do not need replacing they did not.

I'm viewing this as Mitsubishi's problem, they owe me a new engine but no doubt they will try and avoid responsibility.

What's my best course of action here?

Thanks!

2013 Series 4 Barbarian - Black Edition (Red).

GunnerBill
Date registered 10.09.2019

RE: 2013 L200 FSH Timing belt failure - liability?

#2 by Rob1307 , Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:33 pm

I would go above your local mitsi garage and try and deal with someone from customer services or their U.K. headquarters, I would fight it as obviously their service schedule is not right or there is an issue with what was originally fitted. Defective seal on a sealed bearing sort of thing

02 animal double cab back on the road after two years in a barn
shogun sport , not much I can say about it really other than it’s slower than the l200 🤷‍♂️
In hythe kent

Rob1307
Date registered 08.02.2014

RE: 2013 L200 FSH Timing belt failure - liability?

#3 by ronniecabers , Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:46 am

Well seeing as GAtes and i'm pretty sure every kit you buy has the tensioners in it , I'd be surprised that they don't change them. Every home mechanic i know recommends changing tensioners AND waterpump when you have the belts off, just common sense!

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

Rear tub
Headlight warning buzzer/chime location...

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor