Another EGR Removal Testimony

#1 by Dave1968 , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Well, this time last year I decided to have the catalytic convertor removed and a 'de-cat' fitted. I didn't expect a vast difference in performance but noticeably there was.
Since then I have played with the idea of having the EGR removed and blanked off. So today thus was done!!!

Instantly I felt a difference; the acceleration is quicker, the ride is very, very smooth and it sounds quieter too whilst the little turbo gently whistles to its hearts content...ahhhh. Nice!

I guess the oil change and all new filters fitted makes a difference too but I am very much impressed how much a cheap modification such as this makes. I drove locally urban, then dual carriageway (60mph) and then back through country lanes home for a couple of hours. The best ride I have experienced since taking ownership five years ago.

So to all of the threads and posts I have read on here as well as 'Your' modification lists on your signatures of this 'mod', a big I would recommend this 'mod' to anyone who hasn't done so already. Its too early to say if fuel consumption is bettered. All I know is this truck glides quickly now. Happy me!!!

I have a few modifications lined up and will post pics when I have them. I just need to fill and straighten out the tailgate and some artwork will grace onlooking motorists soon.

Also, what thickness of aluminium treadplate is appropriate for lining the pick-up bed anyone, 2mm, 3mm, more?? I take it you cut with grinder? You make your own template first or are there plans available to copy? Any advice appreciated. I'd like that 'mod' done by Christmas. Though judging by my yearly 'mods' I'll get on with the tailgate...

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968
Date registered 07.16.2012

RE: Another EGR Removal Testimony

#2 by Alan G , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

#3 by Discodaz , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Dave,can you tell me what parts you used and can someone explain in idiots terms how to do this please,its on my list

Daz

2003 l200 warrior double cab,black, Alpha gtx, canopy, De egr'd, De cat, Reversing camera, Bedrug load liner.mitzi power upgrade,led dash lights.

Founder member of " THE GLEAM TEAM "

Discodaz
Date registered 03.15.2013

#4 by Dave1968 , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi Daz!

Unfortunately I am one of those 'idiots' who doesn't have the experience to carry out this 'mod'. I understand how its done but I don't have the tools for one nor the time.
I paid my local garage mechanic who is a excellent price wise and expertise I have rarely come across in my driving life.

From reading your posts elsewhere I expect you won't have any issue yourself. I'm sure someone else will chip in and advise you accordingly. I am pleasantly amazed with the performance. Wish I did it last year.

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

Last edited 06.04.2013 | Top

#5 by Mallinman , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:37 pm

It depends what u want to put in tub. If ur not putting anything heavy in all time then 2 mm should do. Just get it nice and flat to the tub so it won't bend. I cut mine with a plasma cutter but I did a lot of complex cuts. I still had to clean the cut edges up tho. If I were to do it again I would use a jigsaw and a clamped straight edge to get nice neat cuts.

2005 OM605 superturbo. Borgwarner s200 @3bar ,3” Stainless exhaust, roll bar, TJM winch bumper, winch BJ spacers and extended shackles, snorkel, iron man suspension, LED light bar x3, 2" body lift

Mallinman
Date registered 10.10.2012

#6 by Mallinman , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Quote: Discodaz wrote in post #3
Dave,can you tell me what parts you used and can someone explain in idiots terms how to do this please,its on my list

Daz

Where bouts u from daz?? Maybe some one can give u a hand.

2005 OM605 superturbo. Borgwarner s200 @3bar ,3” Stainless exhaust, roll bar, TJM winch bumper, winch BJ spacers and extended shackles, snorkel, iron man suspension, LED light bar x3, 2" body lift

Mallinman

#7 by Discodaz , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks dave,ive just read the how tos and it sounds easy,providing you know what each part is,if you don't its not so easy..i know what the egr is and where but where are vacuum hoses etc..i will sort it though,

Daz

2003 l200 warrior double cab,black, Alpha gtx, canopy, De egr'd, De cat, Reversing camera, Bedrug load liner.mitzi power upgrade,led dash lights.

Discodaz

#8 by Discodaz , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Costa del bridlington mate...once i know what parts are what,itsa doddle

Daz

Discodaz

#9 by Dave1968 , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Quote: Mallinman wrote in post #5
It depends what u want to put in tub. If ur not putting anything heavy in all time then 2 mm should do. Just get it nice and flat to the tub so it won't bend. I cut mine with a plasma cutter but I did a lot of complex cuts. I still had to clean the cut edges up tho. If I were to do it again I would use a jigsaw and a clamped straight edge to get nice neat cuts.

Thanks! I will be loading plaster, sand and cement. That ought to flatten it out!

I take it you screw it down? I've noticed on some trucks the wheel arches have black plastic mouldings, possibly a plastic load liner underneath?

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

#10 by Dave1968 , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Quote: Discodaz wrote in post #8
Costa del bridlington mate...once i know what parts are what,itsa doddle

Daz

Having looked at the EGR that came off the kit I bought made sense. Its more a confidence thing of making a mess and I've no truck for work. A bad brake caliper issue was the confidence stopper that broke me. I did replace and fix it but I lost work in doing so.

Sounds like you're onto it pal! Result. Nice part of the world where you live too! Sunny Blackpool here!!

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

#11 by birdie , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Dave, if you are ever stuck for doing bits and pieces on the truck, let me know, I am more than happy to help

NO MORE L200, TIME FOR A MANS VEHICLE!!!!!

birdie
Date registered 11.06.2012

#12 by Mallinman , Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

There some 2nd hand plastic load liners for £20 and Ali chequer for £100 on eBay. Just type in bed liner. I made mine out of 3mm ply board first to use as a template so I didn't screw up my chequer sheet. It's also good to piece it out on ur sheet so u make the most out of ur chequer.

Mallinman

#13 by Dave1968 , Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Quote: birdie wrote in post #11
Dave, if you are ever stuck for doing bits and pieces on the truck, let me know, I am more than happy to help

Cheers Birdie!!

Appreciate that! I think i'm down the road from you, near the Gardners Arms, Thornton?

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

#14 by Dave1968 , Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Quote: Mallinman wrote in post #12
There some 2nd hand plastic load liners for £20 and Ali chequer for £100 on eBay. Just type in bed liner. I made mine out of 3mm ply board first to use as a template so I didn't screw up my chequer sheet. It's also good to piece it out on ur sheet so u make the most out of ur chequer.

Thanks again. I was going to go the plastic route but only once was there one local that went for £20.00 and ebay didn't register my bid in time... (never leave bidding 5's before the auction ends IMO). I looked at 8' x 4' sheets on ebay which go for £85.99 which got me thinking. I have a welding/fabricator friend who might be able to get it cheaper hence my queries. Its something I could do too so happy to go that route. For the price some second hand treadplate liners go for the new material is cheaper I've found.

I reckon your ply template is a good idea!! Thumbs up to that!!

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

#15 by birdie , Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm Fleetwood, mum and Dad are in Thornton, so am always in Thornton. I like working on vehicles, so am always happy to do a favour

birdie

#16 by Dave1968 , Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:16 pm

That's very good of you!! I appreciate your gesture Birdie! If ever I can help you out with plastering give me a shout.

Any idea how much I'd get for my old catalytic convertor? I was thinking of going to Fould's in your neck of the woods.

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

#17 by birdie , Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:17 pm

I got 40 quid for mine at foulds

birdie

#18 by Dave1968 , Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Nice one! I'd expected £35 tops so anything more is a bonus. Thanks

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

#19 by krutly , Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:53 am

Dave, the arch covers are just that, covers that go on over the arches. If you need some I've got 2 spare you can have if you want 'em

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#20 by paulw , Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:28 am

Discodaz, check out the how to's on here, egr removal is simples. Two ways really just blank off egr and take unit of, then you can take cooler as well from side, done Warrior, but done the disco as well.

did have warrior, but crossed over to disco 2.
Thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bringing more work!
Landies don't leak oil, they just sweat

paulw
Date registered 10.06.2011

#21 by Dave1968 , Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Quote: krutly wrote in post #19
Dave, the arch covers are just that, covers that go on over the arches. If you need some I've got 2 spare you can have if you want 'em

Really!? Thanks!!

I'll PM you.

Cheers

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers