Skotl's build thread

#1 by skotl , Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:19 am

Should have started one of these, 17 months ago

So the current sig reads;

Posted by: mysig
2006 warrior auto, Black&chrome, roll bars and TopUp load cover. K&N filter, reversing sensors, cruise control, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, and a surfari snorkel. Roof lights on Rab's truck and towbar in the garage.
Eleven drills.

(the drills bit is for Krutly )

Jobs for the next couple of months;
1. Fit the Osram Night Breakers that Alan got me (which unfortunately means removing the bumper & headlamps cos of the snorkel hose)
2. Service my MIG
2. Learn to weld properly
3. Fashion some mounting bracket, out of weld, to hold the A Bar wot I got from Rob, wot he got from Twed
4. Re-waxoyl
5. Fit or sell the towbar
6. Consider plastidipping the tub cover as a way of evaluating the process for the whole truck

I think winches and lifts will be next year, considering what I've spent so far!

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

Last edited 06.15.2013 | Top

RE: Skotl's build thread

#2 by robert3040 , Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Skoti,you forgot to mention the secret part that you've got that runs on diesel and nobody knows what it uses it for.

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - Central Scotland

" going where you ain't been"

robert3040
Date registered 05.09.2012

#3 by skotl , Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:15 pm

The subject of another thread, Rab Just hope it's not the bloody expensive SCV...

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend

#4 by ColinTheCop , Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:21 pm

Quote: skotl wrote in post #1
4. Re-waxoyl

How's your Waxoyl holding up....?

Mine has gone all rusty again. Although the truck was towed away to a garage in December without being washed and stood still for 5 months so I guess the road salt got to it.

I used the Dynax50 wax, just wondering if it's time to change brand.

05 Warrior

ColinTheCop
Date registered 11.20.2011

#5 by skotl , Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Quote: ColinTheCop wrote in post #4
Quote: skotl wrote in post #1
4. Re-waxoyl

How's your Waxoyl holding up....?

Mine has gone all rusty again. Although the truck was towed away to a garage in December without being washed and stood still for 5 months so I guess the road salt got to it.

I used the Dynax50 wax, just wondering if it's time to change brand.

It's done ok but there are definitely bits where it's returned to pure rust. I had used "the original waxoyl" - I was thinking of trying that spray stuff that you'd used but now I think I won't!

skotl
Forum Legend

#6 by Greigboy , Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Waxoil is great for the inside of cavities, box sections, chassis, body panels etc but i read threads all the time where folk are applying it as the primary underbody coating, with folk wire brushing the chassis and applying on top of rusty or bare metal, this will be okay short term, but the waxoil will degrade with the abrasive effect of road grime mixed with water, salt etc and eventually expose the metal to the elements, allowing oxidisation and rust.

Underbody Waxoil is the final stage of underbody protection, before waxoiling the metal needs to be cleaned back, rust treated and and coated with Shutz, hamerite or some other under body / frame paint......then waxoiled, with the waxoil coat being re applied every couple of years, perhaps more frequently depending on the vehicles use, think of it as a layer of polish for the underside protecting the paint underneath as opposed to a paint on its own.

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

Last edited 06.15.2013 | Top

#7 by Yoda , Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Likewise I am also dismayed by the perfomance of Waxoyl. I believe I did mine just before you also Skotl? My Jeep has been done with Hammerite Shultz and looks extremely good but still needs to stand the test of time. It's such a messy job though I won't be doing it again.

I've emailed all of these companies to ask for a quote: http://www.rust.co.uk http://www.westsussexrestorations.co.uk/ http://www.chassisclean.co.uk/

I'm willing to travel for a job done right. As GB says it should be wire brushed, de salted and rust converter used where necessary. Then from my research Dinitrol or Epoxy Mastic seems favoured choice of protection. You should be able to get a 4-5 year guarantee on them.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

#8 by skotl , Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Good to know - cheers, guys

skotl
Forum Legend

#9 by skotl , Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:36 pm

CB fitted!

Still need to tidy it up (and put all the centre console back!). Much, much easier with the radio removed so it was a coincidence that I was replacing that, too. New radio will hopefully go in on Thursday.

Note the aerial our socket to the right of the CB? The cigarette lighter was bust anyway and I'd actually bought a replacement socket then thought I'd extend the CB aerial and present it there. I have a mag mount antenna and it only goes on the truck when I'm off-roading so the rest of the time I'll remove the mic and aerial but then it's dead easy to plug them both back in

How odd... can't attach pictures...

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

skotl
Forum Legend

Last edited 12.31.2013 | Top

#10 by skotl , Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Quote: skotl wrote in post #9
CB fitted!

Still need to tidy it up (and put all the centre console back!). Much, much easier with the radio removed so it was a coincidence that I was replacing that, too. New radio will hopefully go in on Thursday.

Note the aerial out socket to the right of the CB? The cigarette lighter was bust anyway and I'd actually bought a replacement socket then thought I'd extend the CB aerial and present it there. I have a mag mount antenna and it only goes on the truck when I'm off-roading so the rest of the time I'll remove the mic and aerial but then it's dead easy to plug them both back in

image moved to imgur.com

skotl
Forum Legend

Last edited 12.31.2013 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Awesome Build!!

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor