PC help needed for Norton 360 antivirus

#1 by krutly , Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:12 pm

I've been trying to track down what is using up most of my computer. I have copied all my photos on to disc and deleted most, emptied the recycle bin, run a defragment, run a disc clean up and file clean up etc etc and am getting a bit stumped really. I have however just come across this (sorry I cant to the clever screenshot thingy so took a photo of my screen). Surely it cant be right for "norton backup" to use this amount of my computer can it ? before I press delete I thought I'd just ask here first to see if anyone knows what has happened here.

@skotl perhaps

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

RE: PC help needed for Norton 360 antivirus

#2 by ronniecabers , Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Kurt,

From the little I know on comps, Norton backup does use an awful lot. A few years back a friend of a friend ( you know the type! ) recommended a program called Avast Antivirus and I've used that ever since and its never taken a lot of space. If I remember rightly the Norton Backup is literally a backup of the whole system hence the amount used. No doubt however Skotl will be on with his knowledge ( which is second to none that I know of ) very soon

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#3 by wolfy , Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:21 pm

I also use Avast it is a Free antivirus been using on all my computers for years with no problems cheers wolfy

Range Rover Vogue TD6 Frontera V6 3.2

wolfy
Date registered 09.28.2012

#4 by warrior si , Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Three programs I use all free is avast anti virus gets most kinds of virus. If you get a virus more stuben use malwarebytes this gets all viruses and malware. Then use ccleaner to keep your pc nice and fast this cleans all the clutter from the system. All can be downloaded from cnet.com download section hope this helps someone

warrior si  
warrior si
Date registered 03.28.2013

#5 by skotl , Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Avast is a decent enough free antivirus product and, if you have that, there's no need to go change it. I use Microsoft Security Essentials, which is also free.

At work we use Macafee and it's a huge pile of poo. The only reason we don't change it is that the annual update is £3k and it would cost us £10k to change it so we stick with it.
I have to say, though, that over the years I have certainly seen both Macafee and Norton cause problems with PCs. If it is your home PC, I'd go with either Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials.

As for Kurt's original post, using 160GB of space does seem unusual. Rather that just go delete that folder, tho, I would; 1) Remove Norton entirely, 2) Remove that folder if it is still there 3) Install Avast or MSE,

*But* using a lot of disk space does not mean your computer will necessarily run slowly - you should be looking at CPU or Memory usage instead. I feel a new how-to coming on... Gimme 15 minutes...

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

Last edited 06.30.2013 | Top

#6 by Dave1968 , Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:03 pm

Crikey, it looks you have backed up two years of Norton!!

I too use Avast on one pc at home but do use Norton 360 on my laptop.

I used to use Avira but I got it ran so slow so I gave it up. Whilst Microsoft Essentials does one thing, Avira doesn't and vice versa with one other freebie against the other. Just be aware as you will only get anti-virus and not anti-malware, adware and other etc.

I found with numerous configurations and charts online and there was no definitive program that catered for all of my needs. So I got a 3 license Norton 360 which looked after everything. Its not been bad so far 7 months in. It cost £6.99 of ebay for a years subscription, bankrupt stock. Up to date protection, last years packaging. 2013 download.

I have suffered lots of problems from McAfee where their helpline from the US have had to help me out every year in July when they do a update which has a erroneous file that corrupts Windows 3 yrs running.

Hope these help:

AVG vs Avira vs Avast

Avast Free + Malwarebytes Free

I also use Commodo on the other PC

Commodo

I also use CCleaner and O&O Defrag (free versions) .

Cheers

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968
Date registered 07.16.2012

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Loss of power, ECU light on and limp home!?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor