RE: Painting new plaster

#26 by Alan G , Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:08 am

Quote: skotl wrote in post #4
'kin hate painting ceilings. My wimpy arms get tired after the first three minutes.

But - you're right - better to get it done right now, before the skirts, worktops and floor is in!

Cheers, cheffy

Forum painting party ??????

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

#27 by skotl , Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:11 am

You're on! But you all have to be here tomorrow!

We also need to shift 16 ton of topsoil from the front to the back. Unlimited beer for that one!

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

#28 by Dave1968 , Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:14 am

Do you mean me!?

The wall once plastered has a suction rate so fast it will absorb anything that is in the air, you may see flies on it!? For some reason they admire our work..ha ha.

A normal cloth / yellow duster should be suffice to wipe the dust off. A damp cloth may move whats already there about.. its debateable, I won't argue.

One thing you may wish to do is run some decorators 'Caulk' £1.00 a tube from Wilkinsons or cheap bargain shop in to the corners and skirtings, coving line. Run your finger over it and discard the gather and let it dry for a perfect finish. You WILL most likely get hair line cracks, it is unavoidable on 'Scrim' (gauze tape) joints and wall /ceiling perimeters. There are numerous reasons for this, basically they are stress points. The caulk will give longevity.

Apply the pva:water 1:5 as you would neat paint. DON'T saturate the wall or ceiling for eases sake, you may pull off the plaster. Remember, ideally a newly plastered wall should have at least 8 weeks to dry and adhere to its surface!!!! Be liberal and roll in a random sq m coverage overlapping in a Union Jack fashion (we're in this together lol!).

In my experience the prep (pva/water coat ) is a good trial run. If you imagine a symmetrical square wall say 9 sq m, split into 3 banks of 3 sq m:

start at 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 etc and so on partially overlapping. Don't go back further than the last panel (1 to 2 to 3 etc) you did for fear of raising the shadow.. it happens and it will dry darker than the rest. you lose the uniform of the paint as it sets.

I hope that makes sense and the 1-9 sq meter panels came out as I typed!! Fingers crossed!!

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968
Date registered 07.16.2012

#29 by Alan G , Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:14 am

Quote: skotl wrote in post #27
You're on! But you all have to be here tomorrow!

We also need to shift 16 ton of topsoil from the front to the back. Unlimited beer for that one!

Guys, Ive just found another offroad site in Dalmeny

Canyt tomorrow as Im at a family wedding

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

#30 by skotl , Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:24 am

Quote: Dave1968 wrote in post #28
Do you mean me!?

The wall once plastered has a suction rate so fast it will absorb anything that is in the air, you may see flies on it!? For some reason they admire our work..ha ha.

A normal cloth / yellow duster should be suffice to wipe the dust off. A damp cloth may move whats already there about.. its debateable, I won't argue.

One thing you may wish to do is run some decorators 'Caulk' £1.00 a tube from Wilkinsons or cheap bargain shop in to the corners and skirtings, coving line. Run your finger over it and discard the gather and let it dry for a perfect finish. You WILL most likely get hair line cracks, it is unavoidable on 'Scrim' (gauze tape) joints and wall /ceiling perimeters. There are numerous reasons for this, basically they are stress points. The caulk will give longevity.

Apply the pva:water 1:5 as you would neat paint. DON'T saturate the wall or ceiling for eases sake, you may pull off the plaster. Remember, ideally a newly plastered wall should have at least 8 weeks to dry and adhere to its surface!!!! Be liberal and roll in a random sq m coverage overlapping in a Union Jack fashion (we're in this together lol!).

In my experience the prep (pva/water coat ) is a good trial run. If you imagine a symmetrical square wall say 9 sq m, split into 3 banks of 3 sq m:

start at 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 etc and so on partially overlapping. Don't go back further than the last panel (1 to 2 to 3 etc) you did for fear of raising the shadow.. it happens and it will dry darker than the rest. you lose the uniform of the paint as it sets.

I hope that makes sense and the 1-9 sq meter panels came out as I typed!! Fingers crossed!!

That's great, Dave, thanks!

With the weather (and the advice from the plasterer) the general feeling is that it's ready to go.
We don't have the skirts on yet, and everything else (electics, floor, etc) is all still raw so seems like a good idea to get the prep/paint done.

The caulk seems a really good idea - I get what you're saying so I'll do that first thing in the morning. And I agree now, in hindsight, re the dust - it just wipes off with my sleeve so a slightly less messy version of the same is in order!

And then the 1::5 pva::water.

Thanks!

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

#31 by Dave1968 , Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:44 am

Yeah, 1:5 PVA : Water. I use Wickes usually if Evo-stik or Unibond isn't available (for plastering, im not a painter but know some who I share knowledge with etc..) I NEVER use B&Q PVA if I can help it, its lumpy and inconsistent.

Your wall once dry will have a slight skin once PVA has dried, like a silk paint finish. Don't roll the paint roller hard when you start to apply neat paint and if using a brush you may wish to feather in the opposite direction; where you get paint brush lines try with a unloaded brush to paint against the lines and they should virtually disappear.

All backgrounds are different but the methods of application remain the same etc.

Have fun!!!

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968
Date registered 07.16.2012

Last edited 07.20.2013 | Top

#32 by Greigboy , Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:46 am

I'm not a pro but painted my entire house of new plaster over the past 2 years and I used a 5 parts cheapest pish thin mat emulsion and 1 part pva which was told to me by a painter friend and it worked for me.

I also gave the walls a quick rub with a scotch brite pad before painting, to help it key and remove any wee marks the trowel has left, but that's perhaps the spray painter in me

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

Last edited 07.20.2013 | Top

#33 by bazcrx1 , Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 am

clean it down with damp cloth for the dust then first coat with stabilizing solution then 2nd coat with a lightly diluted paint more 80/20 then re coat with full paint till you happy with the Finnish :-)

bazcrx1 = master craftsman :-)

bazcrx1
Date registered 07.09.2013

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
removing leafs

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor