its alive ,,,,,, just

#1 by danny_p , Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:47 pm

well herre it is my broken truck but it's made it inside

had a littel frount pully issue resulting in near death

and it got worse

the balance shaft sprocket wasent to brilliant ether but thankfully that bit of the crnckshaft was ok, so in went a new oil seal, and raer key stuck with loctite 660 just to be sure

danny_p  
danny_p
Date registered 10.19.2013

RE: its alive ,,,,,, just

#2 by danny_p , Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:48 pm

as for the frount keyway well it was nasty, beyond shimming so things were going to have to get a littel bit more serious, out came the tig

i was going to build up filler on the cranck against a graphite former but that wasent looking to promiseing so abandon that plan and onto the next, look away if you don't like the odd tactical bodge, but looking at most of theh wireing on the truck sme numpty had done another bodge wasent going to hurt

welded the littel blighter in, proper kill or cure it ain't comeing loose now

then a littel stick stick to fill any gaps

let it set overnight and sand it right down, only has to tighten it up a few tho for a good tight tap on fit.

there was an MOT test and fail about here somewhere

danny_p  
danny_p

#3 by danny_p , Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 pm

hub off, seemed easyest way of getting at cv boots, in hindsight should have bought both for the effort involved really oh well oops.

noticed something a bit rubbish with the bluepoint replacement ball joints

the new nut they supply you with the new balljoint is useless, the new castel nut is thinner than the original but the hole for the new split pin they supply is in the same place on the ball joint so it misses, bit rubbish but lucky had the old nuts and they were in sevicable condition

danny_p  
danny_p

#4 by danny_p , Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 pm

now just got these to deal with

snaped both rear springs orderrd some from ebay the other day and the turned up this afternoon. millner springs and fitting kit off ebay starngely quite a lot cheeper than buying it from there online shop. so thats tomorrow nights task

danny_p  
danny_p

#5 by LezT , Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:08 am

As trucks go mate, you have got your hands full there, pleased as feck it's coming together for you....good that you're handy with the spanners, could have cost a penny or two otherwise...

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ
Kenwood TS670.. Yaesu FT575GX.. YaesuFT8800D.....Yaesu FT897
Yaese FT101ZD......20M BitX3C TXRX
Kenwood Chef.....Goblin Teasmaid

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons”
FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.01.2011

Last edited 12.17.2013 | Top

#6 by wolfy , Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:34 am

Good luck with it Danny. cheers wolfy

Range Rover Vogue TD6 Frontera V6 3.2

wolfy
Date registered 09.28.2012

#7 by Basil , Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:48 am

Quote: LezT wrote in post #5
As trucks go mate, you have got your hands full there, pleased as feck it's coming together for you....good that you're handy with the spanners, could have cost a penny or two otherwise...

mild understatement there Lez! well done that man - saved a fortune - wish I knew and had the interest to do what you can, its always been garage bills for me. Keep us updated on this - very interesting for many of us

2007, Y plate 4life,
2010, 55 plate L200 4work++
March 2013, 11 plate Barbarian. Wrapped, OME all round, remapped to 210, straight piped 2.5" SS.

Basil
Forum Legend
Date registered 03.07.2012

#8 by danny_p , Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:01 am

thanks for the postive comments

this trucks dose seem to be somewhat reluctant to be fixed it has to be said , it has spent quite a long time in the naughty spot. nearly ended up back there, forgot about the oil cooler pipe issue one of those split on the clamp and started leacking badly but as all the rot seemed to me in a patch about 10mm long and really didn't feel like spending another £70 on parts i sort of brazed the hole up. will replace them but the truck is going to have to earn them

tonights mission leaf springs. as usual the truck was as awkward as it chould be, and the big bar and hammer had to come out to teach it some respect.

shakel bolts going to come undone nicely NOT A CHANCE so out came big bar for a quick game of snap

all going well at this point, till i get to the the lower shock absorber mounting, even after a lot of wirebrush action and some heat it was a case of gently gently, snap ( insert favoret curse here )

not the end of the world just a pita, plan is just turn up a replacement lug out of bright bar and weld it on in place

danny_p  
danny_p

Last edited 12.18.2013 | Top

#9 by danny_p , Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:14 am

anyway one knackerd old spring departs company

then it presents another suprise, on the MOT fail there was somethign about eexcessive play in frount bush pin on the nearside, well it wasent the bush infact that bush was the only one out of the lot that was any good..... however the bolt was worn and the hole it goes through

that would be the play found then. fix that with a bit of welding later for now just poked bolts through and left it. so not really as a producive evening as hoped but part way there and created another pile of nasty broken scrap

wondering what i can make with old leaf spring leaves now ......

danny_p  
danny_p

#10 by danny_p , Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:20 am

photos seem to be playing up atm, not sure why will redo the links tomorrow if it dosent settel

danny_p  
danny_p

#11 by robl200 , Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:23 am

Think your truck is getting to the same age and stage as mine! Pretty much broke all that stuff you mentioned when I did the leaf springs a few years back! I couldn't afford to send mine to a garage so do the work myself, wish I had ramps etc too!

Y reg trojan 184k now sold after 8 years of off road shenanigans and rebuilds and laffs!!

02 4life 72k in pieces!!

robl200
Date registered 10.02.2011

#12 by danny_p , Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:46 pm

another littel update.

getting a bit tight on time for the mot retest so broken stud on the lower spring plate, no time to buy in replacement and sort of needed it so decided to repair the old one.

threaded, parted off and ready for welding

all done, and some poorly patches to weld on the spring hangers to stop the bolts flaping about

and poorly patches welded on

MOT man was happy with that and presented a pass at last .......

now i just have to de pikey the wireing, remove the shonkey frame thing at the back and make one thats actualy secured by more than a few m8 bolts into tin, sort the radio and cd out and get them working, sort some lights out and a bit of tuneing for a bit more poke out that motor

danny_p  
danny_p

#13 by LezT , Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Danny, shout me if ya need any help with the wiring mate, wiring diagrams are in Workshop: Electrical...

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ

FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend

#14 by danny_p , Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:12 am

thanks for the offer lezT, i think it's going to quite straight forward, th eprevious owner seemed to only be capable of useing red 1 core, and 3 core mains flex. so i grabed hold of and pulled everything out meeting that description, mainly appears to be really really bad spotlight wireing. tomorrow it's the turn of the scotch locks there are loads of the hatefull things all in the lighting loom up frount but don't actualy appear to do anything. so i'll be busy with the heatshrink, possobly the solder and crimpers.

with lighting / upgrades on lighting i'll be refitting some of the lights i've removed obviously i'll relay them may even trigger from full beam, dose uprateing the headlamp looms make much differance n them, on my golf made incredible diffearnce. sopose i better get searching to see if 130w bulbs are safe in the headlights

danny_p  
danny_p

#15 by LezT , Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:27 am

I have ceramic plugs for the headlights if you need them, and there is wiring connections for he main beam control here too.
It's the best idea to power the spots from the battery with a relay doing the switching, the cables for the headlights wouldn't manage spots as well.
Scotch locks are evil as said, they are just a problem waiting to happen, and should only ever be used in dire emergencies to get you out of the shyte...
Don't forget the 130 is min bean, the dip is only 90w ..... How much will the main beam actually be used, I have only used mine for lashing people up to let the out....... Not like you'll be doing 80 along windy country lanes..lol

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ

FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend

#16 by Tony2chins , Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:27 am

Nicely done I wish I could weld like that

warrior 2004 gone but not forgotten
3.5 shogun

Tony2chins  
Tony2chins
Date registered 03.10.2013

#17 by danny_p , Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:05 pm

chould get you welding tidy without much effort i recon, why most people find it hard is they have been fed a lot of bad infomation and useign worse kit. essential thing is an autdarkenign mask even a cheepy

taught a few people to weld and the easyest way i found to do it is to use a big industrial welder, that outputs exactly what it set at then all you have to do is hold the torch right. as welders get smaller and cheep they get nasty, main issues is the wire feed just won't feed at a constant rate allong with the torches been hatefull but it is possible to vastly inprove them economicly

danny_p  
danny_p

#18 by danny_p , Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:14 am

next on the hit list is the intercooler current std one appars to be doing naff all , so looking at options now ether make an ali direct replacement or go frount mount not sure how much differance it'll make on this engine but FMIC is allways tempting.

more to do involves boost gadge so can fettel with the turbo a littel

danny_p  
danny_p

#19 by danny_p , Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:16 pm

think iv'e broke it

yaning trailer bout and clutch slip struk on the upside new therostat in so the heaters work again

danny_p  
danny_p

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Skotl's build thread

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor