HELP new belts etc. BUT crank pully doesnt look happy

#1 by madkad , Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi

after having some issues like juddering and smoke coming out the exhaust I took it into my mates garage and we got all the belts changed and sensors etc. that are on the crank pulley and stuff, someone had done a botch up job that had owned it before me, and also the sensors were all in the wrong position, once job was done we have started it all up and all was great the issues seems to be fixed, no smoke and seems to run smooth

BUT a new problem has come to light, we was looking into the engine bay while the engine was ticking over and noticed a wobble in the crank pulley, we have checked to make sure its all tight and it is, but have been advised by my mate the mechanic and his mate, that is also a mechanic to go and part ex the car before it breaks as will need a new engine, they say the crank shaft has worn due to the botch up job by the looks of it

my questions are

1) do I need to get rid of the beast?
2) if I don't sell and it breaks will it be a new engine or cheaper and worth it to rebuild?
3) if it was to break while I was driving what would happen? (ie. to me, would it lock up or anything?)
4) or is it actually an easy fix and nothing like has been said?

I love the beast and do look after it the best I can, I use it to pull trailers and plant machinery for my jobs, If I need to sell its going to cost me quite a bit for4 a good one that I can trust, so thinking if its worth just spending some on my beast if it dies

thanks

Model = L200 worrier double cab 2.5 TD
Year / Reg = 2004 / 54

Blanked EGR Valve
De-Cat Pipe
Side Exit straight through exhaust (one small straight through muffler in)
Plug and play Chip (meant to be 115bhp to 165bhp increase)

madkad
Date registered 08.12.2013

RE: HELP new belts etc. BUT crank pully doesnt look happy

#2 by paulw , Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:52 pm

pulley is made up with two components and a rubber 'lump' in between. sounds like the rubber has perished. I replaced mine. If you leave it the pulley wobbles and takes out the front casing along with belts!!

did have warrior, but crossed over to disco 2.
Thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bringing more work!
Landies don't leak oil, they just sweat

paulw
Date registered 10.06.2011

#3 by spud , Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:00 pm

As Paul says, the pulleys are notorious for issues with them breaking up and causing all sorts of damage.
You say you had the belts and sensors changed but did you get your mechanic mate to inspect the woodruff key, the keyway in the pulley and the pulley itself? Did you put a new pulley on too? If not then that would be something to try before dismissing the donkey as being fubar.

1992 Grey import K34 Strada.
Midlands based.

spud
Date registered 12.23.2014

#4 by madkad , Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:08 pm

sorry yes all new, woodruff keys, sensors, and new pulleys as the others were broke etc. the old pulley had turned from one to two the sensors were loose and moving back and forward etc. so it all got replaced

Year / Reg = 2004 / 54

Blanked EGR Valve
De-Cat Pipe

madkad

#5 by 123hotchef , Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:20 am

Has the crank pulley got the correct bolt in it?

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#6 by madkad , Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:04 am

I am positive it does have the correct bolts in

Year / Reg = 2004 / 54

Blanked EGR Valve
De-Cat Pipe

madkad

#7 by Greigboy , Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:44 am

If the pulley has not split from its rubber centre them it may be that the key way on the nose of the crank is worn, there are a few bodges to prolong it, but ultimately if it is this you will need a new crank, which is essentially a bottom end rebuild and you'd be quicker taking the engine out, but if your going to that extent it makes no sense not to do the rings as well.

I had the same on my first truck and I made a shim to take up the play in the key way and bedded if in with JB weld, but it only lasted about 6 months before I noticed it wobbling again, and I sold it cheap declaring the fault.
Your application seems quite heavy duty and if your needing it for work then it perhaps makes more sense to spend your money on something newer and stronger.

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Fuel filter change

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor