RE: Classic Failed MOT

#26 by 123hotchef , Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:01 pm

U know what i didnt even grease my bushes I know most people do and there are now shackels out there with greasable nipples so u can keep the bushes lubbed up

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#27 by JohnW , Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks folks. Consensus seems leave dry. I can well understand the "Grinding paste" analogy, particularly as my truck spends a large part of it's time in deep mud.

Thanks, John

2006 L200 Trojan

JohnW
Date registered 08.18.2015

#28 by Zoidburg , Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Sorry everyone, feeling the need to share some science..................

Coil and leaf springs usually break for the same reasons; as a spring bends with use it will gradually strengthen and become less flexible due to a process called work hardening, eventually metal fatigue will set in and the spring will break. Very often the break will occur at a weak spot created by corrosion where the pitting and flaking makes the material thinner and forms stress points. In a multi leaf spring the individual leaves will obviously wear against each other and increase the rate of the material thinning where they touch.

In my opinion the meagre benefits of lubricating the spring are far outweighed by the negative effects of the abrasive grit it will attract so leave them dry.

2005 Animal - Moonshine Black with Mitsi hard top, rebuilt engine, EGR & CAT removed.

Most problems can be repaired but will the end result be worth the effort and expense?

Zoidburg
Date registered 09.11.2015

#29 by 123hotchef , Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:38 pm

JACK the vechile up and jet wash between the open springs well some people I know do I do not

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#30 by Zoidburg , Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Sounds like a faff if you ask me...............don't think I'll be bothering either!

2005 Animal - Moonshine Black with Mitsi hard top, rebuilt engine, EGR & CAT removed.

Most problems can be repaired but will the end result be worth the effort and expense?

Zoidburg
Date registered 09.11.2015

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Exhaust fitment

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor