RE: plasti dip

#26 by FoxyChris , Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Sorry, this is what I mean by masking off. If you peel off when wet it'll still leave a perfect line.

2008 Mitsubishi L200 Diamond. Auto, sat nav, sun roof, heated seats,full leather, sjs hardtop, k&n filter and Ralliart Chip. 16x7 black modulars with 265/75/16 Cooper AT3. DAB radio and reverse camera!

EGR PREVENT MODULES - www.Mitsi-EGR.co.uk

FoxyChris
Date registered 12.07.2013

#27 by Yoda , Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Yeah the dipyourcar videos show how to mask really well . You still can't peel while its wet though. The dip needs to form a film to peel which needs it to be dry and multi layered. If you finger the dip while wet it will react like normal paint. What you can do while its wet is split the dip. So for example the L200 has rubber door seals which overlap onto the truck body. You can't mask it and if you build the layers up over that seal then let it dry, when you open the door it will tear the dip. So after each coat and while it's still wet you open each door and leave that layer to dry with the door open.

The same technique works if you wanted to do viper stripes for example. Do one layer. Remove the masking while wet. Allow to dry then re-apply masking and repeat.

So in a sense you can mask to an edge provided that masking is removed for each layer while wet. But it's labour intensive so only do it when you have no other way. The only scenario I can think of where that would happen is doing viper stripes with Dip. You normally always have an edge somewhere that will peel nicely once dry.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

Last edited 09.29.2015 | Top

#28 by maz , Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:05 pm

I think I'm going to have to try it

Saw this while I was googling https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/word-of...asti-dip.54678/

(Scroll down a bit until you see it)

It looks really easy to do and my truck definitely needs it lol

I have a complicated relationship with my truck...

maz
Date registered 02.05.2015

#29 by Yoda , Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:14 pm

When done right on a vehicle that doesn't work or go off-road, PlasiDip is a very good cheap way of changing colour. If I ever leased a new truck I would dip it straight out of the show room. At the end of the lease the paint would be immaculate. I'm a fan of the stuff.

The only thing I can't figure out is why people with flash cars do it. Like the BMW video above. It looks beautiful fresh but the dip still holds dirt like any matt finish does. That white BMW is never going to look as clean as the day he had it done. On a truck, who cares. But not a sports car.

If you want to use it to accent features of your truck the great thing is you don't need to mask or remove that item. I'm currently doing my arches and I've had to remove them and scuff them. No need to do either with dip.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda

Last edited 09.30.2015 | Top

#30 by shanea , Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:59 pm

I fancy changing from this

to this

shanea
Date registered 09.04.2015

#31 by Yoda , Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Definitely doable with PlastiDip

Yoda

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
any one know glowplug part No. ???

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor