Solenoid click

#1 by Jon Grimsby , Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Have been meaning to ask for a while, I have heard a solenoid that sounds like the heater plug one click, sounds like it is under the passenger dash somewhere near the back of the glove box, seem to hear it after driving down the road for a few minutes, any idea what it is?

Jon Grimsby
Date registered 10.25.2014

RE: Solenoid click

#2 by 123hotchef , Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:09 pm

yeh i hear that too something to do with the starting system i think

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by Jon Grimsby , Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #2

I'm thinking it is something doing what it should do, just wondered what it was, like you said its probably something to do with the starting system, I just cant think what it would be.

Jon Grimsby

#4 by Major Malfunction , Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:27 pm

I hear things mainly voices though

Area Rep for Midlands

04 Warrior blacK,EGR blanked & removed,,De cat,Extended shackles,Pro shocks,
Ironman torsion bars,Ironman shockers,Wind deflectors,New fuel tank,New sump
Wheel spacers,Snorkel,Side marker lights,K&N air filter.

Major Malfunction
Date registered 07.12.2014

#5 by 123hotchef , Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:39 pm

i hear those voices too,

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#6 by MrKenny , Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #5
i hear those voices too,

Voices? Voices? - What about the dragons in the lounge! ... OK, OK, Just getting my coat on ...

MrKenny
Date registered 07.24.2014

#7 by MrKenny , Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:47 pm

Quote: Jon Grimsby wrote in post #3

I'm thinking it is something doing what it should do, just wondered what it was, like you said its probably something to do with the starting system, I just cant think what it would be.

When my 4life decided to kill off its glow-plugs, I stuck a volt meter across various bits, and found that when you switch the ignition on, wait 10 or so seconds, hear the click and solenoid clicks out, engine is ready to start.

The interesting part then was that the heaters appear to kick back in for around 2-3 minutes (presumably controlled by the ECU) as soon as the engine is running, which would be the second click as they then switch off. This has to be part of the start-up procedure.

The solenoid is inside the engine bay, top right corner, viewed from the front. Goes to show how loud the solenoids click is then, if it can be heard over the engine noise with the bonnet down!

MrKenny
Date registered 07.24.2014

#8 by Jon Grimsby , Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:57 pm

@MrKenny sounds like that's what it is and makes sense.

Jon Grimsby

#9 by 123hotchef , Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Quote: MrKenny wrote in post #7
Quote: Jon Grimsby wrote in post #3

When my 4life decided to kill off its glow-plugs, I stuck a volt meter across various bits, and found that when you switch the ignition on, wait 10 or so seconds, hear the click and solenoid clicks out, engine is ready to start.

The interesting part then was that the heaters appear to kick back in for around 2-3 minutes (presumably controlled by the ECU) as soon as the engine is running, which would be the second click as they then switch off. This has to be part of the start-up procedure.

The solenoid is inside the engine bay, top right corner, viewed from the front. Goes to show how loud the solenoids click is then, if it can be heard over the engine noise with the bonnet down!

I think they click off when the temp sensor is trigged dont know what temp it is trigged at though, its not always 2-3mins depends on temp

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Boost............!!

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor