Lifes Adventure's 2007 double cab build

#1 by Lifes Adventure , Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:30 pm

Well I suppose this is a bit overdue, seeing as I've had it since October. It is a 2006 L200 animal with 73k and an auto to be built into an overland truck. The truck will be a rolling showcase for the off road fab business I am trying to start. Without further ado, here it is.

As I collected it (after removing front and rear chrome tat), the original owner must have chosen everything in the chrome catalog. It even had 22" wheels! YKM

New tyres were next, thankfully the original wheels were included in the sale.

The next mod was fitting a snorkel, I have since put it to very good use.

I have also fitted a catch can and egr blanking plate, lots of sound deadening, a tow bar, new front springs and shocks, rear leaves and a new exhaust

Also heated seats (just the pads so far)

I'm making a pair of roof racks for it at the moment. The cab rack will have a light bar, and the rear rack will be mounted using an external frame (I want to be able to remove the canopy whilst leaving the rack in place. Eventually when funds allow a rtt will go on the rear rack. Here's a pic of the basic design, i haven't drawn any of the mountings yet.

Cheers, Dom

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure
Date registered 01.18.2016

RE: Lifes Adventure's 2007 double cab build

#2 by Gezza , Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:43 pm

This is going to be interesting to watch and read keep up the good work

Raging Bull (Red) Manual 35,000m '57'
K&N
Truckman Top
Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/65/17
Remap - do I, don't I?

Stratford Upon Avon

Gezza
Date registered 01.12.2013

#3 by WelshMart , Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:39 am

Looks very interesting. Liking the look of those roof racks, want to see them finished. How are you thinking of mounting them to the roof? all the options I've seem so far look like they sit too far of the roof in my opinion.

2006 4 Work, 285/75/16 Khumo MTs, 2.5 inch wide flexiflares, 4mm steel skid plates, Snorkel, CB Radio, Rallitronic module, broken Leer canopy, LED work light, LED bed light, 20" LED flood light, McK Rock Sliders, Team Heko wind deflectors, 2" suspension lift, Reverse Camera

WelshMart
Date registered 02.19.2013

#4 by Grizzly , Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:17 pm

If your not already on the newtriton site, there is some great stuff, lots of how to's, members builds, a lot of CAD diagrams. It's well worth taking a look at, might help your business along the way aswell. Your in Devon aswell that's good to know.

Insa Ranger AT tyres - Snorkel - K&N panel filter - BRC diff breather kit - Bull bar with 20" LED bar - roof mounted 40" LED bar - LED tray lights - Roller top - Wind deflectors - Reversing sensors and camera - EGR mod - next?

Grizzly's Animal

Grizzly
Date registered 08.16.2014

Last edited 03.22.2016 | Top

#5 by Lifes Adventure , Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:13 pm

Quote: WelshMart wrote in post #3
Looks very interesting. Liking the look of those roof racks, want to see them finished. How are you thinking of mounting them to the roof? all the options I've seem so far look like they sit too far of the roof in my opinion.

The current plan is to rivnut four steel strips to the gutter and to cut the factory trim piece to fit around them, however i'm sure it will change and evolve by the time i get to it. One of the key things I want on this rack is for it to be close to the roof, and with a fairly low rail height, the last rack I made looked a bit clunky because of the rail height.

Quote: Grizzly wrote in post #4
If your not already on the newtriton site, there is some great stuff, lots of how to's, members builds, a lot of CAD diagrams. It's well worth taking a look at, might help your business along the way aswell. Your in Devon aswell that's good to know.

It is a very good source of info, cheers. Where abouts in Devon are you? I'm just above Holsworthy.

I've made a start on the rear rack over the last few evenings, my new JD2 tubing bender is a tad more challenging to use accurately than I was expecting so progress is a little slow.

Made a start to the second mini project this evening. The £175 canopy was bought with the intention of making it better, and boy does it need some work!
The front and back areas of the outside are to be painted matte black and the centre section will be wrapped matte grey, along with the rest of the car. The interior is going to have four led lights and new carpet.

Making a start on filling and priming one end

Interior readyish for wiring

Dom

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

#6 by yozer13 , Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:16 pm

make up some rock sliders can sell em then lol

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South Wales

54* warrior
egr + cooler sacked off.
straight through pipe.
k&n apollo.
go faster chip.
2" suspension lift.
2" body lift
285/75/16

yozer13
Date registered 07.19.2014

#7 by paulw , Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:43 pm

hmm, I am drooling!

did have warrior, but crossed over to disco 2.
Thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bringing more work!
Landies don't leak oil, they just sweat

paulw
Date registered 10.06.2011

#8 by Grizzly , Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:42 pm

I'm just on the outside of Barnstaple.

Insa Ranger AT tyres - Snorkel - K&N panel filter - BRC diff breather kit - Bull bar with 20" LED bar - roof mounted 40" LED bar - LED tray lights - Roller top - Wind deflectors - Reversing sensors and camera - EGR mod - next?

Grizzly's Animal

Grizzly

#9 by L200spanky , Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:01 pm

This project looks like its going to be lots of fun

L200spanky  
L200spanky
Date registered 03.12.2016

#10 by Lifes Adventure , Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Got a bit more done this weekend. I have a bit more filling to do to the canopy tomorrow evening.

I also finished welding the rear roof rack, minus the mounts and mesh floor, the mounts will be done when the front rack is done, so I can set the heights properly.

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

#11 by Lifes Adventure , Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Quick update. Canopy finished but not installed yet, ended up going with matt black all over as I had an argument with the vinyl wrap and lost. Been having gearbox troubles. Decided not to bother with wrapping it for now so started machine polishing it, quite pleased considering i haven't done it before.

Before (looked worse in person)

After, not perfect but not bad for a first go.

In other news. I now have most of the parts for the dual battery set up, so i'll get on with that soon

Dom

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

#12 by Grizzly , Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Looking good, any plans of how your going to mount the roof rack on the front yet. I'd be quite keen to see how low you can get it as I had one on my roof bars for a while. It just seemed to high.

Grizzly's Animal

Grizzly

#13 by Gezza , Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:18 pm

Looks well.
What's the orange bits? The result of Former long bars on the bed?

K&N
Truckman Top
Remap - do I, don't I?

Stratford Upon Avon

Gezza

#14 by Lifes Adventure , Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:06 pm

Quote: Grizzly wrote in post #12
Looking good, any plans of how your going to mount the roof rack on the front yet. I'd be quite keen to see how low you can get it as I had one on my roof bars for a while. It just seemed to high.

I have a pretty good idea how i'm going to mount the rack, although I am sure it will change a bit when I come to do it. In theory, the rack could be mounted with the bars touching the roof. Mine will be higher than that though, the canopy is higher than the cab on mine so i'd like the canopy rack sitting between 30 and 50mm off the top of the canopy and both the racks need to be level. I don't want mine to be as low as possible because I need to use straps and bike racks.

Quote: Gezza wrote in post #13
Looks well.
What's the orange bits? The result of Former long bars on the bed?

Yea, I have welded up the holes and forgot to paint them black!

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

#15 by Lifes Adventure , Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Busy few days.
Finished polishing it, really pleased with how it came out.

Re-fitted the canopy, equally pleased with that (excuse the stick!)

The only natural thing to do after spending way too much time polishing is to go laning.

Also made some progress on the cab rack

And parts have arrived

Dom

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

#16 by Lifes Adventure , Mon May 09, 2016 10:06 pm

Time for a bit of an update. After getting some family commitments out of the way I can finally get back to building things!

I've started to fabricate the cab rack mounts

Mounted the light bar (not finished)

Mocked up the canopy rack, it wont look as big with the cab rack on.

Enjoyed some more laning

And this evening I did a test tow to determine if I need new rear shocks before holiday. I've ordered a pair of Pedders Trakryder Foam Cell Shocks

Try not to laugh at the 24yr old caravanning too much! Its a good base for our upcoming week in the Lake District (and we lived in it full time for a while)

I've also got my MOT tomorrow so wish me luck!

Cheers
Dom

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

#17 by Lifes Adventure , Fri May 13, 2016 9:25 pm

Well I'm glad to say it passed the MOT with no advisories (even with a decat pipe installed), only needing a couple of CV boots which it was booked in for before hand as well as a new nearside front diff side seal.

Turns out that Pedders didn't have any of the shocks I wanted in stock so I opted for Monroe Adventure's instead seeing as I have them in the front. The install was very quick and easy, even had time for a tyre rotation and to grease everything I could

Quite a difference from stock

I started mocking up both roof racks this evening to try and assess where I want all of the mounts to be. The plan is to finish both racks tomorow. Unfortunately I have run out of time to have the racks powder coated before I go away so I will temporally spray them black.

Good amount of space!

Dom

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

#18 by Gezza , Fri May 13, 2016 9:29 pm

Good progress
Coming along nicely

K&N
Truckman Top
Remap - do I, don't I?

Stratford Upon Avon

Gezza

#19 by paul hoolie , Fri May 13, 2016 9:30 pm

Looking good

PRAM 06 plate gey warrior not quit standard rear bed cover (proppa)
blue led interior/footwell lights

paul hoolie
Date registered 11.05.2014

#20 by WelshMart , Fri May 13, 2016 9:42 pm

Looks good

2006 4 Work, 285/75/16 Khumo MTs, 2.5 inch wide flexiflares, 4mm steel skid plates, Snorkel, CB Radio, Rallitronic module, broken Leer canopy, LED work light, LED bed light, 20" LED flood light, McK Rock Sliders, Team Heko wind deflectors, 2" suspension lift, Reverse Camera

WelshMart
Date registered 02.19.2013

#21 by Lifes Adventure , Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 pm

Got both racks finished enough for holiday, need to add mesh in places and some extra light mounts. I must say I'm quite pleased

Dom

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

#22 by paul hoolie , Tue May 17, 2016 11:30 pm

Good skills looks really good like the side bars on canopy

PRAM 06 plate gey warrior not quit standard rear bed cover (proppa)
blue led interior/footwell lights

paul hoolie
Date registered 11.05.2014

#23 by Lifes Adventure , Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Just a small update, I have plasti dipped the arches black. It will be interesting to see how they hold up.

I have also made a small panel replacing the single 12v socket just below the armrest with a 12v socket and twin usb outlets.

Hopefully the proper overland stuff can start soon.

Dom

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

#24 by Sac110 , Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:49 pm

Like the look of the racks, if only they were for a classic.

Sac110
Date registered 05.20.2016

#25 by Lifes Adventure , Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:51 pm

Quote: Sac110 wrote in post #24
Like the look of the racks, if only they were for a classic.

Thanks. PM me, I can make them for anything

Lifes Adventure  
Lifes Adventure

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Ive been busy :)

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor