veg conversions ????

#1 by treeboa , Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:24 pm

i have had a few people showing interest in converting thier vehicles to run on veg, if interested add to this post and i will sort out a were to purchase/how to fit

mods dont move this to another section untill ive compiled it please

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

try 7 up - snow white did

treeboa
Date registered 10.02.2011

RE: veg conversions ????

#2 by GaryF , Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm Very interested Mike.

Gary.

Electricity Is Just Organised Lightning

2002 4Life D/Cab
Blue/Silver,
S/Steel 'A' Bar, S/Steel Double Rear Bumper with Step, Alloy Side Steps & Tow Bar.
Tub: Checker Plated with S/Steel.
Truckman Canopy.

GaryF

#3 by diggermandan , Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Very interested too!

Probably the least effective ever AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'93 Strada double cab, broken... 5 years off the road, list of things to repair just about getting shorter!
'94 Strada double cab 'parts truck'... too good to break?

diggermandan
Date registered 01.22.2012

#4 by stormforce , Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:14 pm

depending on cost i could be interested

2011 Blue L200 Warrior.17" alloys 2.5 Di D 178 bhp
Richard
Trainee Mod

http://holmesheritageturkeys.weebly.com/

stormforce
Date registered 10.17.2011

#5 by treeboa , Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:17 pm

right i have sent an email off to a supplier regarding ordering multiple items, once i have a reply i will post the price details

aux tanks, now you can cut corners here, if say you have an old outboard/boat tank, or a jerry can and you can braze/silver solder then you can cut a few quid off your price

i will assume that you will be fitting the second tank to the front nearside of the tub, though if you have a canopy fitted its a pain in the arse climbing in and out to fill up the diesel side, the option is to move it to the rear but it does doing that impead putting stuff in the back, ive looked into fitting a second tank under the trucks, it means having a second filler neck somewere, as it will also then draw attention to your conversion it does leave you open to falling foul of some construction and use regulation im not aware of

allthough a pain in the backside the logical place for the main conversion parts is the passenger side inner wing behind the battery, if however you have an apollo filter fitted then you have a cracking place to mount the stuff, though you will have to rethink carefully the pipe runs

all water pipe clips can be jubilee type, do not use these on any fuel pipe as it often leads to air being sucked in and or leaks, you need to use decent fuel pipe clips

allthough you can wire through the bulkhead, my preference is to take wires under the truck and into the cab via the large square grommet thats in the passenger front footwell

as you will be using the main tank for veg oil you need to add a filter and pump to the aux- diesel side, this can be as simple as a bulb type primer and an inline filter - mine is like this and is a smartveg top of the range kit !! or you could add a second canister filter with a top mounted pump ( similar to the system on our trucks as std ), i have one of these available if anyone wants it, brand new never used £25 plus carriage

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

treeboa

#6 by Alan G , Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Im interested TB, again dependant on costs at the moment.

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

#7 by adriandiesel , Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 pm

im interested as well

black 55 plate animal, storm decat, ggat2s, roller shutter, bonnet struts,92000miles owned from new
live in cambs egr removed

adriandiesel  
adriandiesel
Date registered 10.31.2011

#8 by George , Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:05 pm

As in first post i am very interested TB

2000 4/Life Blue/Silver 102000 miles
Fitted Bonnet Struts
New Clutch Fitted
At the moment now got a Saab not no more
And now I have got a Warrior

George  
George
Date registered 10.29.2011

#9 by 4life greg , Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:06 pm

I would be interested as well, also dependant on cost, however the way fuel is at the moment it probably wouldn't take long to recoup the money!
Just wondering, is there a way of having a really simplified version of a veg conversion? as in just a manual switch to change back and forth between diesel and veg, instead of a computer type one that does it automatically? Would a manual switch with no lights on the dash etc keep costs down?

2001 4Life, Blue over silver, 80,000+ miles
ARB Winch Bumper, KC Daylighter Spotlights, 2" Body Lift,
EGR Blanked, AVM Free Wheeling hubs, Nautilus Air Horn,
285/75/16 Cooper STT's, Snorkel, Midland 48 Plus Multi CB Radio

4life greg
Date registered 11.04.2011

#10 by treeboa , Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:28 pm

this may be of interest, cheap twin tank kit now it does not come with the second tank, the fuel heater is similar to the one i have in my truck, the difference in mine is mine does not heat both fuels only the veg oil, oily bits are fitting the heat exchanger down stream of the valve, smartveg and most systems i have seen dont, they have the veg line only heated and heated pre the changeover valve, it should not make much of a difference as diesels run better anyway with hot fuel, the issue with the pipe in pipe exchangers is room, on mine i have a seven foot one thats doubled and then sits on the bulkhead behind the intercooler, the oily bits kit comes with a big fuel filter, now depending on if you wish to use the standard vehicles fuel filter to filter the veg oil this could be disregarded and like my system a cheap throw away inline filter used for the short periods you use the aux tanks fuel, i only changed my inline filter this year after 4 years and 60k miles, now on mine the changeover is automatic, im sure someone like lez on here could come up with some fancy pic based unit that uses a thyristor to either light a bulb as the heat in the fuel pipe reaches a set temp or holds off the on switch like again my system does untill that set temp is reached, to use the heat gauge on our trucks is tbh a bit rough to say the least, a hot day mines changing over in about a mile, on close to zero im doing around 14 miles before she switches, even though shes showing half way within half a mile

treeboa

#11 by treeboa , Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 pm

if you find the video on the site with the landrover dont need to comment, it looks to me like a right crock of shit fitting wise

treeboa

#12 by janso , Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks Treeboa

As others, definitely interested - it would pay for itself and quickly the way diesel is going to go up (notwithstanding a war with Iran next!!)
My initial concern would be fitting it ( I have no fooking chance on my own with my less than limited knowledge!) and also the cost at present...

Would love to see how it turns out for others thou, sounds more like an investment to me; three points thou:

the kit in place and MOT's
Fuel tax on veg oil
the conversion affecting resale?

L200 Warrior 55 plate
Powerboost
BFG 265/75R16 AT's
Snorkel
Aiming to become All Black!

What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.

janso  
janso
Date registered 03.16.2012

#13 by treeboa , Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 pm

mot no problems, you find on veg oil your emmissions are through the floor

you do not have to pay duty on 2500 ltrs per year

easy to remove it if you feel the need, however i would see it as a selling point, no one worries about selling with decat, egr removal, skid plates etc etc

mine originally cost me £250, till early last year i was paying 50p a ltr for new veg oil buying it in bulk, even at 70p which it lifted to i was quids in, obviously you need to recover the cost of the conversion,. so its not a short time conversion if you want to reap the benifits, longer you run on veg with your conversion the less it costs you

treeboa

#14 by Deleted User , Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:43 pm

treeboa please find me a solution as well

#15 by treeboa , Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:07 am

Posted by: Manraj
treeboa please find me a solution as well

your problems the fuel system on your truck raj, in theory if you got the veg at high temp, heated tank, heated lines and heated filter you should be able to run on veg. trouble then is you dont have pintel type injectors and the injection system is a lot weaker than the older dpa ( bosch/zexel ) type injector pump, even bio in the later models is fraught with risk from bio fuel not fully converted and carrying a percentage of veg in the methyl esters, from the forums i haunt it seems most home producers only get a mid 90 percentage wise transesterification, landrovers german pd powered engine expressly forbids anything greater than 5% bio, however its basically a bmw engine and in germany you can specify the bmw vehicle to be fitted with parts that allow you to run on bio ??

treeboa

#16 by diggermandan , Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:28 am

Raj, I found you a conversion kit... New-shape Vegoil Conversion Kit

'93 Strada double cab, broken... 5 years off the road, list of things to repair just about getting shorter!

diggermandan

#17 by ebony266 , Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 am

count me in t/b

ebony266
Date registered 10.27.2011

#18 by Greigboy , Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:24 am

I'll watch this thread with interest, the idea really appeals to me but I'm not doing enough miles to justify it at the moment, but circumstances can change quickly in my job, my previous station was a 60 mile return trip daily, so would defo be worth it then

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy

#19 by treeboa , Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:54 am

short runs are still possible with veg, it depends on the ambient temps, winter its not worth it, warm days however your on veg quickly, last week i was on veg from a overnight shutdown within a mile, now bear in mind your not running on a mix then, your on full veg, my flush times are around ninety seconds from switch over, my system like the one above is not fully automatic, i have to manually throw a switch, the difference with mine is i start up, throw the switch to veg and some little computer will not switch the valves unless the veg oil in the veg line is at the right temp, it has a nice little led bar gauge that tells me the veg temp, then on switch over how much diesels in the aux tank and when flushing how long untill its flushed, its also got beep codes in case your not watching, its not clever in that it cant read the fuel type, i also have a problem that say i have run out of veg and fill the main tank with diesel mine still has to go through the heating/changeover sequence, even if i leave it on veg the system will rebel against me and it then goes through a purge sequence then a warm up sequence before fully drawing from the main tank, the one described above does not do that, its basic and relies on manual input

to be honest looking at the price the kit above is going at i would not at this time be able to beat it, however the forum possibly could as a bulk purchase, trouble is you would still have to pay courier from the address its sent too

the basics are very simple, heres some pdf`s that may help

basic twin tank

pollak install sheet

treeboa

#20 by treeboa , Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:39 pm

ok chaps, just had a long meaningfull chat to the owner of oilybits, hes emailing me a bulk price for a min of 5 units, ive had a decent convo with him and thrashed out a couple of questions, now on his system he recommends that the heat exchanger is mounted after the valve, reasoning is the valves are mainly plastic and the max temps of fuel passing through is 95c, my smart veg system uses metal soliniod valves that take a hell of a lot more temp, now i dont know the exact temps our trucks run at but i do know my system changes over at 60c, so a hot day, the returning fuel heats the tank fuel and from that any fuel passing through the exchanger will rise in heat, so as even diesel heated will give you a better mpg ( slightly) to stay within the warranty parameters of the valve the heat exchanger is prob best after the valve, i mentioned that because we would be using the vehicles main filter to filter veg oil that the supplied kit filter would not be required, only an inline filter, again hes working this into the price, the heat exchange which is a pipe in pipe system comes as parts, you bend the inner pipe to suit your preferred mounting position then slip and tighten the bits on, the inner pipe is capable of being bent back on itself with a four inch radius, mines the same, or could be coiled

RAJ
i had a chat to him about yours, he has a few customers who run cdi/common rail injectors with this kit, hes aware of a focus cdi with high mileage thats running on veg, allthough theres no warranty it would be extended heat up and flush times and only using new veg oil, regarding the flush times, you add a piece of clear pipe into the return side, you make a note of which fuel is what colour, you then from a hot engine running on veg switch over to flush/diesel and you time the flush untill you see the colour change of diesel returning through the return to tank line, then add a minute, on yours you would also i think need some form of temp reading for the change over to veg, it may be worth you having a chat to them on the phone if you are considering it or any other new shape owner is considering this, having not worked on the new shape i have no experience of how you would plumb in a veg system on those models

treeboa

#21 by adriandiesel , Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:00 pm

what would be the smallest start up tank we could get away with tb?

black 55 plate animal, storm decat, ggat2s, roller shutter, bonnet struts,92000miles owned from new
live in cambs egr removed

adriandiesel  
adriandiesel
Date registered 10.31.2011

#22 by treeboa , Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:44 pm

a lot depends on your stop start frequency, mines 33ltrs but to be honest i could get away with a 10 ltr tank, the backup though is handy in the event of fuel shortages/queue's and the like, though its rare mines ever got more than a couple gallons in it, in winter i tend to keep it closer to full as the warm up time is extended, i know summer last year i was looking at the bank statements, in a three month period i had only hit the tax station once and that was 15 quids worth of diesel, not bad considering last year i was averaging 1000 miles a month

treeboa

#23 by diggermandan , Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Well, I'm really keen to try and switch to vegetarianism... Just filled up today... 74.3 litres. £111 You Shell you B4st4rds.
How's the chat with Mr Oilybits going TB?

diggermandan

#24 by treeboa , Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:34 pm

im not at home at mo, so there may be emails waiting, give you a clue on savings available, ive just picked up 100 ltrs of new veg - £70

treeboa

#25 by ndjohnson86 , Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:42 pm

I was going to convert my old truck but then I swapped it for the newshape for more mpg and comfort. I wish I could convert the newshape, I divulged into it and was told no on several counts id be interested if it was diffinately an option. Im currently speaking to several companies about hydrogen generator conversions and trying to find out if anyone anywhere in the eu has converted a newshape and what mpg returns you can get i've been told 30-40% in general but they need to be set up right I looked years ago and it seems things have moved on since then and there devices to alter the ecu to allow the change in air (ie addition of hydrogen and amount) into the engine. Im put off by companies offering the kits at £900 fitted but this does give warrantee the same company offers training courses at £1000 to then be approved installers which then theres the possibility of a new business as it pottentially can save people big money but im sceptical about the amout of people that would want to buy it. I've also found kits for £300 or so from a foreign supplier which includes ecu control and they seem like they know what there talking about I'm yet to explore this further. Do i take the plunge and try it out and see..........

Newshape Animal running Cooper Discoverer ATR's
Cruise control fitted and hydrogen very possibly next
nic@njohnsonlandscapegardening.co.uk
www.njohnsonlandscapegardening.co.uk

ndjohnson86
Date registered 10.17.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Cylinder block coolant drain plug?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor