Brake warning light

#1 by Spookshow ( Guest ) , Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:00 am

Hi All,
I just signed up but while I'm waiting for my activation I thought I'd post here as a guest.

I just bought an '04 L200 Warrior, my second L200 although the last one was a good few years ago (an '02 4Life). My new truck came with a 4WD problem which I've worked through with the help of this forum, I'm just waiting for new solenoid valves which should arrive today then that'll be sorted.

Next on the list is the brake warning light which stays on regardless of handbrake position or brake fluid level. I've checked the usual sticky float valve and dirty contacts, that's all fine. Brake fluid level is fine. I've proven both switches with a multimeter. I also found the brake vacuum sensor wasn't connected securely but having fixed that the light still stays on. I've also proven the brake vacuum sensor itself by taking off the vac pipe and measuring the change in contact resistance to chassis. All ok so far and that light has never so much as flickered. Any chance this could be related to the 4WD issue? There's a vac solenoid stuck open at the moment.

Any ideas on what else it could be before I start trying to trace a short in the handbrake or fluid level switch wiring? I'm pretty sure I don't have ABS since I don't see an ABS pump up by the master cylinder and my truck has the load sensor on the rear dif which I don't think ABS equipped trucks have. Also there's no ABS light on the dash and I already checked all the lamps. Do these trucks have pad wear sensors?

I did measure the loom side of the brake level switch connector and it was coming back at something like 1 Ohm. The resistance reading might not be correct though because there was a small voltage on there, about 10mV. That doesn't sound right to me, can anyone tell me what theirs is / what it should be?

Thanks,
Matt

Spookshow

RE: Brake warning light

#2 by 123hotchef , Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:27 am

have ya checked the hand brake cable for a short

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by Spookshow ( Guest ) , Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:50 am

That's a good point. I think I did but not 100%, I'll go check again.

Spookshow

#4 by 123hotchef , Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:12 pm

take center console out and check there then trace it all the way to the dash

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#5 by Spookshow ( Guest ) , Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:18 pm

Will do. Does it end up at the ECU in the passenger footwell?

Spookshow

#6 by Spookshow ( Guest ) , Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:42 pm

Ok so the wiring was a good call, the wire to the handbrake is showing a short to ground. I've followed the wire back to the dash as suggested. To narrow it down I cut the wire near the foot well and tested again; the handbrake side was open and the other side was still earthed. So the short is forward of that point.

I also removed the wire at the dash and proved that the brake light goes out, so it isn't the dash itself. Thing is that the handbrake switch, brake fluid level and brake vacuum switch wires are all the same colour and all connected so I'm thinking I need to find that point so I can narrow it down further. Does anyone know where that is? Can I get a wiring diagram once I'm upgraded?

Thanks for the help so far.

Spookshow

#7 by Major Malfunction , Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:05 pm

Yes mate there is a classic on line wiring diagram

Area Rep for Midlands

04 Warrior blacK,EGR blanked & removed,,De cat,Extended shackles,Pro shocks,
Ironman torsion bars,Ironman shockers,Wind deflectors,New fuel tank,New sump
Wheel spacers,Snorkel,Side marker lights,K&N air filter.

Major Malfunction
Date registered 07.12.2014

#8 by 123hotchef , Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:07 pm

there will be a junction box they all connect into mate what coulour is the wire

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#9 by Spookshow ( Guest ) , Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:16 pm

Great will probably sort it once I have the diagram. The wire colour is yellow with green tracer, single silver spot. They must junction somewhere up near the bulkhead but it's a bugger to get at even with half the interior removed. Once I suss the wiring I'll most likely just bypass the lot and run my own.

Spookshow

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Looking at buying this but theres a noise....

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor