Going Nuts In with limp home mode

#1 by Shepherd ( Guest ) , Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi All, I have registered and just waiting for an activation . Forgive me all as I am a newbie .

I have a 2003 l200 Animal 2.5 D , She was only purchased recently as I keeped killing Land Rovers, I find her amzing I must say. However, Went to pull out the farm the other day and had NO accelerator .... just plumes of gray/black smoke over 1,000rpm ??? Pulled over and turned off, after a few mins re started and all was well. 2 days later the same, hoever it took longer to get going. Spoke to the friend i got it from and he was slightly confused.
It has it's EGR blanked off, has a new rebuild engine, new filters .. in fact the works ! It had been running great for a month so couldn't understand it ?
Anyway, 2 days ago filled her up at esso and as it started it did it again , no revs over 1,000 , very lumpy and plumes of smoke, how ever at idel, Sweet as a nut ??? ( Sometime with engine warning light sometimes without) this time would not clear and green flag were lost what to do saying ECG wouldn't give them a code so they thought it was a fuel starvation issue ? Had it towed back, unloaded it fro the truck and she ran like clock work ???? Next day fine until it seemed to warm up, stopped running fine, started and it happened again, towed home !!
Chap who owned it came round and said he felt the butterfly valve on turbo wasn't opening up fully and he could hear a squeak / stiffness on the Actuator arm. Started her up (COLD FROM YESTERDAYS TOW HOME) perfect ? lubed the nuts, arm around Actuator , of we roared and it seemed to be better responsive than normal, started it many times, NO issues.... pulled into home switched it off and straight back on and it was back to it's old ways !! choking itself over 1,000 revs , looked under the hood and the butterfly valve on the turbo was at max stop position on tick over ( but idling beautifully) , pulled the air line of the Actuator and it went all the way back to min stop ?? Tried to rev and again wouldn't go over 1,000 ?

Now I know about sheep but this has me baffled ... can anyone help ?

PS: As i said, I can name bits of sheep all day long but forgive me on any tec names terms

Shepherd

RE: Going Nuts In with limp home mode

#2 by Shepherd ( Guest ) , Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:48 pm

PPS : Sorry forgot to say ... It seems to happen as she gets warmed up and if left ie; overnight is fine again until she warms up ?? Again, sorry

Shepherd

#3 by Major Malfunction , Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:43 pm

I would check the vacuum for leaks first the n get a code reader on it, black smoke is a fuel fault ie over fueling , air to fuel mixture fault injectors ,fuel pump, timing fault, and can also be a turbo fault.
Start cheap and get the vacuum tested, then a code reader to try and see if it finds the fault before trying any guess work, like replacing air flow meters or any other sensors that may have broke.
You also say it has had an engine rebuild, when they are put back together more people suffer problems due to vacuum pipes not being put either on tight or wrong way round, also it's very easy to be one tooth out on the timing belt recheck to ensure its accurate.
Someone may be more accurate with a diagnosis but that's how I would start to diagnose the fault.

Area Rep for Midlands

04 Warrior blacK,EGR blanked & removed,,De cat,Extended shackles,Pro shocks,
Ironman torsion bars,Ironman shockers,Wind deflectors,New fuel tank,New sump
Wheel spacers,Snorkel,Side marker lights,K&N air filter.

Major Malfunction
Date registered 07.12.2014

Last edited 06.08.2016 | Top

#4 by 4life-extreme , Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Have you tried it with one of the vac pipes off. I had similar issue. I disconected the one by the throttle body and put a screw in it to block it up and it ran fine although it was down on power but was drivable, towing was a bitch though. So i relaced this solenoid and all is fine now https://www.milneroffroad.com/mitsubishi...-genuine-part-1

AREA REPRESENTATIVE - South Central England
2002 4Life Blue over silver with diff lock,wind deflectors x 4, bonnet bug deflector, snorkel, 30mm wheel spacers, Angel eye spot lights, Bonnet gas struts, CB. GripMax A/T 265/75/16. Boost gauge, Oil Catch Can, Extended rear shackles (164k miles. R.I.P.), New long Milner Engine ( 62k miles) New Turbo @ 236k
JOBS TO DO
Pro comp Front`n`Rear shox, Winch bumper, Rock Sliders

4life-extreme
Date registered 02.17.2012

#5 by Shepherd ( Guest ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:03 am

[quote=Major Malfunction|p375632]I would check the vacuum for leaks first the n get a code reader on it, black smoke is a fuel fault ie over fueling , air to fuel mixture fault injectors ,fuel pump, timing fault, and can also be a turbo fault.
Start cheap and get the vacuum tested, then a code reader to try and see if it finds the fault before trying any guess work, like replacing air flow meters or any other sensors that may have broke.
You also say it has had an engine rebuild, when they are put back together more people suffer problems due to vacuum pipes not being put either on tight or wrong way round, also it's very easy to be one tooth out on the timing belt recheck to ensure its accurate.
Someone may be more accurate with a diagnosis but that's how I would start to diagnose the fault.[/quote]

Thanks for that Major & 4life-extreme ! The chap that re built her is very sure it all went back together correctly and as i said ive been driving and bouncing around the Southdowns for 2 months without a problem . I will book a diagnostic check today.

One thought and it's probably a stupid one... This all started when i was shearing sheep, using a battery operated shearer off the L200 battery and i forgot to run the motor up so i ended up with a totally flat bat !! Tugged it with a tractor and then this started ? But as i said, this is probably a stupid shepherd thought !!!

Shepherd

#6 by Major Malfunction , Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:06 am

It's possible you might have power spiked an ECU the diagnostic should be able to tell you if you have.
If it is an ECU get one of either eBay or loc8 apart or mitzy bitz. Don't go to Mitsubishi main dealer they will leave you bankrupt.

Area Rep for Midlands

04 Warrior blacK,EGR blanked & removed,,De cat,Extended shackles,Pro shocks,
Ironman torsion bars,Ironman shockers,Wind deflectors,New fuel tank,New sump
Wheel spacers,Snorkel,Side marker lights,K&N air filter.

Major Malfunction
Date registered 07.12.2014

#7 by 123hotchef , Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:12 am

check the ecu for burnt tracks if that's the case

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#8 by Shepherd ( Guest ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:54 am

So I just had the brain scanned by a really helpful garage that slotted me straight in and i got these codes ...
12: Boost sensor
49: Over boost
52: VGT cont FRS

So it sounding like a split hose, hose off etc around the turbo ...??? Or am i being stupid again :-)

Shepherd

#9 by 123hotchef , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:00 am

hose split or duff boost sensor or duff solenoid

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#10 by Shepherd ( Guest ) , Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:09 am

MAny thanks 123hotchef I will have my man on it asap ... Need to get this girl back over the hills chasing sheep .

Where abouts are you 123Hotchef .. I am in Sussex on the edge of the Southdowns , as soon as my account is up and running i will update, and with the help you guys are giving will def join a full membership with stickers and all !

Shepherd

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Traction control lights

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor