RE: Blew my head - confirm check list for parts please?

#26 by billymadbiker , Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Think that hone will be worse than useless on the head/manifold.
When you come to match you will find the excess will be all over the place, not just a perfect circle that is too small and needs to be bigger.
Also, the ports are not dead stright either.

Will be fine to hone your bores though!

Will have a look tonight and check I have the nuts in stock

billymadbiker  
billymadbiker
Date registered 03.06.2012

#27 by LezT , Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:16 pm

The only thing I can say is why didn't you ask, got TWO checked and known good heads here, a brand new manifold gasket and a set of glow plugs about 4 months old........

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ
Kenwood TS670.. Yaesu FT575GX.. YaesuFT8800D.....Yaesu FT897
Yaese FT101ZD......20M BitX3C TXRX
Kenwood Chef.....Goblin Teasmaid

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons”
FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.01.2011

#28 by Yoda , Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:21 pm

The only thing I can say is why didn't you tell me! Everything has already been shipped. At least on the positive side I'm getting a fully built head. Saves a lot of work.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

#29 by Yoda , Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:25 pm

Posted by: billymadbiker
Think that hone will be worse than useless on the head/manifold.
When you come to match you will find the excess will be all over the place, not just a perfect circle that is too small and needs to be bigger.
Also, the ports are not dead stright either.

Will be fine to hone your bores though!

Will have a look tonight and check I have the nuts in stock

We'll see what's what when it comes to port matching. I've had various input on this from elsewhere too. Some saying will do fine others like you not so sure. You think maybe a circular grinding stone to start if the ports are really off?

And yeah thanks, let me know if you can sort nuts and washers. That would be great.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

#30 by billymadbiker , Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Might well work fine on some engines (apart from the slow rate of material removal).
Problem is a hone like that is for round holes and the ones on your head are oval.
If you rotate it slow enough to follow the contours it's going to take forever.

got loads of studs/nuts/washers - pm sent

billymadbiker  
billymadbiker
Date registered 03.06.2012

#31 by treeboa , Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:32 pm

yep paraffin with stones on aluminium mate, ideally lots of it and flowing if you can, trouble with alum is it get hot, soft/melts and clogs the cutter

trouble with a hone is its spring loaded, it needs equal pressure on all cuts to work, adjust tit to the tighter side of the bore it will rattle on the looser side, set it to the looser side it will bind and poss damage the tool as it hits the tighter part

try it by all means but the way with a hone is slow revolutions and work it up and down the bore to create a cross hatch of cutting marks, thing is your talking thousands of an inch after 5 mins work, a die grinder with a burr or a stone would to me make more sense for metal removal in the amounts you want

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

try 7 up - snow white did

treeboa
Date registered 10.02.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Loosening the Crank shaft Bolt??

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor