Blew my head - confirm check list for parts please?

#1 by Yoda , Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Right, I blew my own head gasket. Left a water pipe unclipped from the veg conversion and she started spraying water in the engine bay. Caught that quick enough, turned her off, clipped the hose back on and refilled the water. Let it cool, though at this stage it hadn't gone above normal operating temperature. Turned it back on and let it come up to temp. 15 mins at stand still and all seemed fine. Where I need to beat myself is I didn't think to check for air locks. I know now that I had one because as I was driving home I went to put the heater on and got cold air. Right at the same time the gradient turned to a steep uphill with no where to pull over and I suddenly noticed the temp gauge climbing higher than a rocket. With no where to stop I made it to the top but when I popped the bonnet I could hear hissing from the cylinder head and the expansion tank was BOILING. Once it cooled I checked and indeed I have oil in the expansion chamber. So, I'll take my donkey of the year prize, what with connecting my veg kit to a relay that auto turns off too!! .... and I'll submit a check list for parts that I need you guys to confirm so I can get cracking.............

Cylinder head (getting a fully built one as the price compared to a bare one makes it worth while)
Head Gasket
Head bolts
Water pump
Belt and tensioner kit
Exhaust manifold gasket, studs and nuts
Inlet manifold gasket

Anything I have forgotten? Dependant on cost I may get my inlet and cylinder head port matched and polished while I'm at it too. Lez if youre reading this I'd really like that inlet manifold off you now?

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

RE: Blew my head - confirm check list for parts please?

#2 by Basil , Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:34 pm

aww crap! not a time for jokes this - feel for you bud, lez will two. what a nightmare - been there twice masell - not good. the clever ones will confirm your parts list directly. Good luck

Basil
(soz couldn`t help masell)

2007, Y plate 4life,
2010, 55 plate L200 4work++
March 2013, 11 plate Barbarian. Wrapped, OME all round, remapped to 210, straight piped 2.5" SS.

Basil
Forum Legend
Date registered 03.07.2012

#3 by Yoda , Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Trust me it does make it worse that I had a good one which had done plenty of miles with no problem, well looked aftr by the previous owner whom I know and after all that this is MY fault.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda

#4 by Basil , Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 pm

if it makes you feel any better (prob not) I actually heard mine hissing the night before , and forgot to check before i set out the following morning - no water at all !
I believe that was the very first donkey of the week on the old circus

2007, Y plate 4life,
2010, 55 plate L200 4work++
March 2013, 11 plate Barbarian. Wrapped, OME all round, remapped to 210, straight piped 2.5" SS.

Basil
Forum Legend
Date registered 03.07.2012

Last edited 04.18.2012 | Top

#5 by baz , Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:58 pm

headgasket kit comes with all gaskets get water pump

51 plate tinted glass alloys
side steps roll bar rear step wind gards
roller shutter bed rug

baz
Date registered 10.03.2011

#6 by robl200 , Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 pm

I bough a full engine gasket set off eBay for around £40 that came with all gaskets

Y reg trojan 184k now sold after 8 years of off road shenanigans and rebuilds and laffs!!

02 4life 72k in pieces!!

robl200
Date registered 10.02.2011

#7 by treeboa , Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 pm

bloody hell mate, what a twat of a thing to happen

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

try 7 up - snow white did

treeboa

#8 by Minky , Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Gutted for you pal, keep us posted on your progress

96 Strada K34 , Black Edition, Jap import. Rough round the edges!!! Needs tlc!!!
EGR Removed, K+N filter.
207,000 kilometers on the clock.
New head gasket fitted, new alternator sorted! Just need the power steering pump sorted now!

Minky
Date registered 11.06.2011

#9 by billymadbiker , Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:05 pm

inlet & exhaust gasket are one and the same. You need a genuine one if you are port-matching.
Oil & filter, Coolant,
Have you got anything to check block flatness with?
Almost worth testing glowplugs and injectors while you are that far in as well

billymadbiker  
billymadbiker
Date registered 03.06.2012

#10 by Yoda , Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Glow plugs and injectors will be changed too. Need new glow pugs anyway. How do you mean inlet and exhaust gasket are the same? Shape wise? Got oil, filter and coolant here. Good pointon the block flatness...........but if that ain't flat it's a new engine. Steel ruler should do the job side to side and on the angles?

Yoda

#11 by Stick , Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Steel rule and a light is a good indication,

I carry an OCD warning......and Tourettes

GOBSHITE!

Stick
Date registered 11.02.2011

#12 by billymadbiker , Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:25 pm

No, the inlet and exhaust gasket is one single piece gasket that has 8 holes in it. (so you only need to buy 1 gasket)

it's only worth checking the block for flat as if it's not (although unlikly) and you bolt a new head to it you will just waste a set of bolts and a gasket. at worse the head will warp to the block and feck that too

If your steel ruler is strighter than 0.1mm along the edge then thats you could use it..

billymadbiker  
billymadbiker

#13 by billymadbiker , Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Another thing worth doing:
Pistons sit proud of the block top. If you are not in a rush to get it back on the road you should mesure how much they stick out by and order the correct size head gasket to suit.
Also, with the head off, put No1 piston to top dead center according to the piston crown and the block top.
Then check your crank timing mark. I have seen them be 1 or even 2 teeth off on the timing marks, if this is the case take the pointer off the oil pump case and make a new mark in the right place

billymadbiker  
billymadbiker

#14 by skotl , Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:49 pm

That's really crap. Feel for you - good luck with the rebuild

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

#15 by Yoda , Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks guys. Keep it coming....... got a pretty good feel for what's to be done but just trying to make sure I am dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Yoda

#16 by Yoda , Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:19 am

Do I need special tools for my cylinder head bolts?

Yoda

#17 by Yoda , Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:46 am

Ignore that, comment. I don't.

Just purchased a honing tool for £34 delivered. Going to port match my inlet and exhaust manifolds while the head's off. Should help keep temps down and add a token amount of horsepower.

Yoda

#18 by Yoda , Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:32 pm

How many manifold head studs do I need for exhaust and inlet?

Yoda

#19 by Yoda , Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Everything is ordered now. Also putting new glow plugs and glow plug heater rail in, as it was starting to get a bit smoky on start up anyway. Confirmed that company sending the head is also sending me a steel gasket. They weren't, was going to be a composite one but they've given me a steel gasket and not charged more. Which is nice.

Yoda

#20 by treeboa , Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:12 pm

best of luck on a quick rebuild mate

your veg oil will be wanting to be taken for a drive

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

treeboa

#21 by billymadbiker , Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Comes from the factory with 8 studs fitted for the exhaust (so you need washers and nuts as well)
I normally use stainless steel washers and copper nuts, can sort you out with a set if you need them.

The inlet manifold uses bolts so you can re-use them or fit studs if you wanted.

If they all come off ok then there is no reason you could not re-use the existing studs/nuts etc but normally they do tent to come out of the head rather than the nuts coming undone. It's also easy to lift/fit the head if you take all the studs out before pulling it off.

You also want a 'short' hex key (or cut down a long one) for the head bolts as some of them tend to twist when you bolt down so give a false angle reading.

What sort of honeing tool did you get? There is normally a decent bit to remove when port matching and I normally start with a grinder (round stone in a drill) then move to a small sanding drum in a dremal type tool, then a scotch wheel is enough for the final match up.

It's worth doing (depending on how far out it is to start) and you will notice it picks up a bit better.
Don't bother polishing it up too much though as that makes bugger all odds as they don't rev high enough

billymadbiker  
billymadbiker

#22 by treeboa , Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

im not keen on stones for removal of metal in alluminium alloys personally, the stones clog to easy, my preff is initially to use something like Werbung: this, then once the majority of the metals removed use a sanding drum to finish off

dunno what your going to use as a lube, when machining aluminium i find paraffin gives the best results, on a recent honing of an alloy tube i found the same with that as well

The following contents have been linked to this post::

treeboa

#23 by Yoda , Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Could you possibly sort me some nuts and washers Billy? As you say, may not need them but I'd rather not get stuck needing some. Couldn't find any on Milners, but I do have new studs coming. I've already got a pretty comprehensive tool kit and ratchet set so I should be good for the head Bolts.

This is the honing tool I've got coming Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Large-Cyli...#ht_2224wt_1029

Chatting to a friend (who has taught me a lot, and drives a V8 Holden) he said that should do the trick.)

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Yoda

Last edited 04.19.2012 | Top

#24 by treeboa , Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:50 pm

thats what i use on cylinders, you need to use lube with them and they are not fast in removing metal, better in a parallel bore than they are on anything tapered or curved

treeboa

#25 by Yoda , Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:00 pm

And you reckon Paraffin yeah?

Yoda

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Loosening the Crank shaft Bolt??

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor