to buy or not to buy?

#1 by sparkyned ( Guest ) , Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello All,

Im looking at buying a 53 plate warrior, it has 63k on the clock. but the guy thats selling it cannot find the service history as he has recently moved house. what do you think to this?

its literally immaculate, i have never owned a 4x4 and wouldn't really know what to look for? any advice? should i be put off as not mechanically minded?

thanks

[truck2]

sparkyned

RE: to buy or not to buy?

#2 by krutly , Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:41 pm

get yourself signed up to the forum bud as more will be able to see your posts ....... and you'll be able to see all the forum
here's what to look for in the mean time

make sure it doesn't overheat (floor it on a long hill and watch temp gauge doesn't go above half way)
make sure there are no bubbles in the expansion tank when you turn the engine off (usually head gasket if there are bubbles)
if it's an animal make sure the power chip is still there (passenger foot-well silver box)
check for rust on front cross member and rear mud flap things next to back of cab
check for wobbles in the front pulley (if it wobbles, walk away)
check all the warning lights come on when you turn the ignition on then importantly go back out when it's running
check for excess smoke (mine give a small puff on first start up)
check the 4wd high and low work (on loose or slippery ground not tarmac or you'll break it)
make sure the green 4x4 light goes back out when back into 2wd
check for wear on gear levers and steering wheel are consistent with the mileage
check the DVLA mot checker to see it's history of mileage and mot passes and fails
check the hangers on the rear box as they rust for a pass-time
check for oil leaks in the engine bay, common ones is the half moon seal at the rear of engine
service history would be a bonus but certainly not a deal breaker as even the most meticulously serviced engines can fail
check it has the tool thingy if there are locking wheel nuts
if it's an animal with 18inch alloys, check there plenty of tread as those tyres aint the cheapest
check it's got a spare wheel as many get pinched

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by sparkyned ( Guest ) , Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Blimeyy!!!! thats a long list to check [rofl4]

but brilliant thank you, whats the reliability like on these? as ive heard there not the best, but i suppose if you google search anything then theres horror stories.

another thing i was concerned about was the belt replacements? as it has no service history, how would i checked they've been done?

i have registered just waiting for authorisation :)

sparkyned

#4 by krutly , Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:02 pm

big list but it covers most things
reliability isn't always the best (some people drive them like a golf gti rather than a 2 tonne truck) but as with any vehicle it's pot luck
I've had mine 12 years and it's never missed a beat
if in doubt get the belts done anyway, I put mine into mitsubishi to get them done and I think it was 199 plus vat so not too bad a price
plenty of info and help on here if you do them yourself and depending on where you are there are guys on here that could do them for you
you may be able to get info on what work has been done if they can tell you which garage they used ..... not 100% though due to data protection and all that pc stuff these days
if you type the reg into https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ and you should get an idea of what it's failed on in the past for MOT and what the mileage has been over the years

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#5 by Sparkyned ( Guest ) , Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Thats brilliant information thankyou krutly

The guy is away untill the tenth and hopefully will be going to look/collect on the 14th

If for any reason i didnt get this one...when im looking at other ones..how crucial is mileage?? Im in a bit of a habit to not really look at anything over 80k. But i guess id rather have a well looked after one thats clocked up 140k than one thats been neglected on 80k.

Sparkyned

#6 by krutly , Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I think it's pot luck either way
@ronniecabers has a classic with full mitsy service history and the engine let go early in it's life yet others have been abused , not serviced and and lived on regardless
if it's a classic you're looking for then finding one with 80,000 or less is going to be harder and harder to find as they are all at least 10 years old now , even the newest ones
if in any doubt just bung up a link or ebay number etc and get everyone elses opinion on if it's a good one not
good luck with looking for a truck and if you have any questions just ask

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#7 by ronniecabers , Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Was only the Headgasket that went to be fair but yes it had Full Mitsi service history so I never hold that a service history is essential. For the record the headgasket went at 54000 miles and under 5 years old...

The main thing to remember , is as Krutly says , even the ' newest ' classics will now be 10 years old ... thats at least 10 years of some else driving and looking after it.....at this age , as with most vehicles , you pays your money and takes your chance...

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#8 by Sparkyned ( Guest ) , Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Okay guys thankyou :)

If i do get this is there anybody local that could give it the once over??? Im in Bridgwater in Somerset.

Thank you

Sparkyned

#9 by ronniecabers , Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:11 pm

@Benson lives in Minehead ( but works away a lot ) , he does own a newer shape but might be able to help out ... @krutly is the southwest area rep....

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 2.5TD Warrior 2003. I have a starting problem with my car

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor