Pram - Engine power issue/eml/limp home

#1 by Mikey White , Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Happy new year!!

Sorry not been around too much guys, life's been hectic and rather lemon-y the past year or so, and now to top it off the pram is playing up. If you would be so kind, I require some information and ideas, I've got a bad feeling this is going to be an expensive one.

Vehicle Type:- 2010 Pram Barbarian.

Issue: - When I put my foot down and get the revs high (approx 3.7-4k) the engine suddenly feels only what I can describe as flat, almost like hitting a rev limiter or the engine misses. If you back off a little it powers up again, however there is no boost until you come to a complete stop. If you keep your foot planted while its flat the engine light quickly appears, limp home mode is engaged, traction control and abs lights are on. My code reader and my works one couldn't read any codes, but would clear them. Took the truck to a garage today and they got 2 codes:
P1298 VGT System (High Pressure).
U1101 T/M Can Time Out/Not Equipped (unable to erase, however does not put the eml on).

Questions :- What in the world causes a turbo overpressure fault on a pram? I've searched alot of pages on here and all seem to relate to the variable vane turbo of the old type. To my understanding the pram has a internal wastegate type turbo with vacuum actuator.

History :- I was after more power in the pram, like you do, so invested in a tuning box from TDI Tuning. Linky - this one. However I didn't plug it in straight away, alot of stuff happened and time flew by, I waited until I had a full service and timing belt done. After this was done I fitted the box, powered it all up as the instructions said and all worked fine, until I put my foot down. Thats when the "issue" first happened but at around 3000rpm. Easy, I'll adjust the settings, which I did, to the lowest power increase. Still the issue kept happening, all be it at slightly higher 3500rpm. Fine, I'll remove the box to prove it's the issue. Box removed, tested... B***ox, not the box. Issue now happens as above, without the tuning box. I've never noticed it happening before the service or box.

What I've done so far:- So going by my assumption that the turbo wastegate is internal and the actuator is vacuum fed I've video'd the actuator. It moves... Looks fine to me. Noise in video, turn speakers down a little!

Not sure if the wastegate is open when the actuator is at the top or at the bottom, but it moves, so not a stuck actuator/wastegate. I've cleaned the MAF sensor on the airbox (oh my was that dirty). I've removed and checked the turbo pressure sensor, all looks clean. I've removed the airbox and checked the intake of the turbo, looks better than i was expecting, however not sure on spindle play.
Is that a normal amount of play?

So i'm really not sure what could cause an overboost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Mikey White  
Mikey White
Date registered 10.19.2013

Last edited 01.12.2017 | Top

RE: Pram - Engine power issue/eml/limp home

#2 by rxbren , Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Follow the map sensor pipe to the Inlet manifold, remove it and poke a wire in that should free up some power as the map sensor will be able to actually get a boost reading.

Take the egr off and give it a clean chances are the solenoid is knackered - regardless if what anyone says if you fit the egr bypass module that's sold on here it won't solve your issues as the egr is cycled open and shut when the engine is switched off all the module does is truck it into not opening when the engine is running so if the egr is faulty you'll have the issues

Not looked at the video but a little movement on turbo is fine if it was too much you would have plumes of white smoke out if the exhaust

rxbren  
rxbren
Date registered 07.28.2014

#3 by Mikey White , Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Cheers rxbren, I'll give that a go in the morning. Much appreciated.

Mikey White  
Mikey White
Date registered 10.19.2013

#4 by rxbren , Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:29 pm

The other can fault maybe error with auto transmission all the manual gearbox vans will show an auto gearbox fault no idea why it is but they just do so nothing to worry about if itis

rxbren  
rxbren
Date registered 07.28.2014

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Drivers door handle removal.

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor