What winch

#1 by Major Malfunction , Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:22 am

What winch is a good recommendation for the front of the truck, forget Warn, toooooo expensive.

The rhino winch comes up in searches a lot but not sure if they are a generic rename of another make. They are priced at about £270 for a 13500lb (4.1t)
The ones with synthetic rope are mega bucks and I think it's cheaper to buy one with steel and re wind it with synthetic after purchase,
As always advise always helps.

Thanks in advance

Area Rep for Midlands

04 Warrior blacK,EGR blanked & removed,,De cat,Extended shackles,Pro shocks,
Ironman torsion bars,Ironman shockers,Wind deflectors,New fuel tank,New sump
Wheel spacers,Snorkel,Side marker lights,K&N air filter.

Major Malfunction
Date registered 07.12.2014

RE: What winch

#2 by 123hotchef , Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 am

the orange one on ebay comes with synthetic rope for 300 and something that's what I will be getting for truck 2

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by 123hotchef , Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:48 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261952567795?_...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

The following contents have been linked to this post::

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#4 by Mallinman , Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I've put this one on.
Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142030914282

2005 OM605 superturbo. Borgwarner s200 @3bar ,3” Stainless exhaust, roll bar, TJM winch bumper, winch BJ spacers and extended shackles, snorkel, iron man suspension, LED light bar x3, 2" body lift

Mallinman
Date registered 10.10.2012

#5 by alex200 , Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:24 pm

I'll be selling my CTA winch (same as the orange winchmax ones on ebay just a different sticker) and maybe get one of these http://www.superwinch.co.uk/product.asp?pid=141 as its built for the synthetic. I doubt the cheap Chinese one like I already have will be built for it but they're so cheap in comparison its hard to beat what you get for the money.

My page: https://www.facebook.com/vikingfabdesign/

AKA Squishy Doughboy!

alex200  
alex200
Date registered 11.03.2012

Last edited 02.07.2017 | Top

#6 by Major Malfunction , Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:30 pm

The one I have looked at is this one Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-4-x-4-Reco...ksAAOSwHMJYGfXa and will when I can afford will put synthetic rope on.
Having remote operation is a plus.
Are these a genuine make or just painted and re labelled

Area Rep for Midlands

Major Malfunction

Last edited 02.07.2017 | Top

#7 by Nessie , Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:33 pm

The synthetic ropes are expensive on their own. we got em for quad winches,over £100 each, plus you have to change the fairlead. Better to buy a winch already set up with synthetic rope.

54 plate 4life, black over silver

Nessie  
Nessie
Date registered 10.01.2015

#8 by 4life-extreme , Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Ive got this one on my wish list Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130991727431?_...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

AREA REPRESENTATIVE - South Central England
2002 4Life Blue over silver with diff lock,wind deflectors x 4, bonnet bug deflector, snorkel, 30mm wheel spacers, Angel eye spot lights, Bonnet gas struts, CB. GripMax A/T 265/75/16. Boost gauge, Oil Catch Can, Extended rear shackles (164k miles. R.I.P.), New long Milner Engine ( 62k miles) New Turbo @ 236k
JOBS TO DO
Pro comp Front`n`Rear shox, Winch bumper, Rock Sliders

4life-extreme
Date registered 02.17.2012

#9 by WelshMart , Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:59 pm

I keep coming back to this one...

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121648565249

2006 4 Work, 285/75/16 Khumo MTs, 2.5 inch wide flexiflares, 4mm steel skid plates, Snorkel, CB Radio, Rallitronic module, broken Leer canopy, LED work light, LED bed light, 20" LED flood light, McK Rock Sliders, Team Heko wind deflectors, 2" suspension lift, Reverse Camera

WelshMart
Date registered 02.19.2013

#10 by Greigboy , Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 am

The rhino's, winchmax's, winch-it are generic Chinese winches, that said I know a couple of people with Winchmax's and they are pleased with them. Don't get too caught up in the 13500 lbs thing, many cheaper winches use gearing to get their higher pull rating as opposed to bigger motors which can make them very slow in comparison to the likes of Warn, Superwinch etc. Another consideration for me would be the availability of spares, as winches do need regular maintenance and a lot of these companies bring out new models all the time and may not carry spares for older models for long.
A synthetic rope is a must from both a safety and practical perspective and having seen one snap I wouldn't entertain one again.
I had a Chinese winch on my silver Warrior and it was okay for the money, but i had no expectation of longevity but for £150 new I was willing to take the gamble. This time around I went for a second hand superwinch X9 with plasma rope, the X9 is very well supported for spares, and I have just serviced the winch and put a bigger TDS Goldfish motor after the original 20 year old motor died (partially my fault) and the bigger motor and service should see it through a good few years to come.

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

#11 by Nessie , Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:08 pm

I presume you mean you have seen a wire rope break? I have seen both break, the wire rope being on a forestry winch pulling upwards of 10 ton. Yep it goes with a crack but not very much else if the correct precautions are taken. The ballistic rope I had break was on my quad winch, it goes crack but if the safety sleeve is used nothing else happens. The big advantage with ballistic ropes is you can get a lot more rope on the drum as it flattens down. The big thing to remember is when your using a pulley never stand in the bite zone, if the pulley goes your in the shit big time.

54 plate 4life, black over silver

Nessie  
Nessie
Date registered 10.01.2015

#12 by Major Malfunction , Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Even with the generic point, the price dictates unfortunately. The choice of a rhino is price and remote control, having seen a wire rope snap pulling an armoured personnel carrier and cut a recovery truck cab in half is enough to make anyone treat them with extreme respect.
As for longevity I suppose it's a case of pay your money takes your chance, high quality winches command top dollar and I am not in the position to pay big bucks.
Thanks for the write up @Greigboy a few things to take into consideration, one is definitely go the extra mile and get the synthetic rope now rather than get a steel one and replace later.

Area Rep for Midlands

Major Malfunction

#13 by Danne , Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:21 pm

I saving up for this baby:

£900 +vat

Truck: L200 -06 classic

Danne
Date registered 04.22.2012

#14 by Greigboy , Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Quote: Major Malfunction wrote in post #12
Even with the generic point, the price dictates unfortunately. The choice of a rhino is price and remote control, having seen a wire rope snap pulling an armoured personnel carrier and cut a recovery truck cab in half is enough to make anyone treat them with extreme respect.
As for longevity I suppose it's a case of pay your money takes your chance, high quality winches command top dollar and I am not in the position to pay big bucks.
Thanks for the write up @Greigboy a few things to take into consideration, one is definitely go the extra mile and get the synthetic rope now rather than get a steel one and replace later.

I got my second hand Superwinch with plasma rope, rope hawse, a bag of recovery strops, chains and a brand new snatch block for £160, so bargains are to be had.

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Remote Central Locking

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor