Need a few pointers and tips

#1 by RichTS7 , Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:12 am

Hi guys, i'm new to the whole 4x4 scene and have recently bought a 2005 Animal.
So I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone tell me what engine oil and coolant to use? (as I understand the Animal is chipped and so may run hotter than the other unchipped engines?)
2. Can anyone guide me through a coolant flush?
3. Do tyre pressures go by the actual wheel/tyre or by the vehicle? As the ones that came on the truck apparently previously came off a shogun and were pumped up to about 3.5bar (and looked fine for it) when on my A post is says they should be at 1.8bar so just a bit confused.
4. Aside from changing oil, oil fuel and air filter, checking brake pads, what else is it worth me checking over to help look after it? Everything is running fine, coolant is a bit murky (hence the flush), gaskets look fine, no bubbles in oil or white sludge on oil cap.

Thanks for any help,
Rich

RichTS7  
RichTS7
Date registered 12.15.2016

RE: Need a few pointers and tips

#2 by 123hotchef , Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:29 pm

diff oils front and rear TRANSFER BOX AND GEAR BOX OIL

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by 123hotchef , Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 pm

what coolant is in it now I use old school blue for the classics but flush well first if you are changing it from an oat based coolant

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#4 by Major Malfunction , Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Click on the link below, greasing the truck is important to maintain trouble free parts, about once a month in winter, every two in summer.

How to... grease your truck

Area Rep for Midlands

04 Warrior blacK,EGR blanked & removed,,De cat,Extended shackles,Pro shocks,
Ironman torsion bars,Ironman shockers,Wind deflectors,New fuel tank,New sump
Wheel spacers,Snorkel,Side marker lights,K&N air filter.

Major Malfunction
Date registered 07.12.2014

#5 by Major Malfunction , Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Tyre pressures are manufactures recommended pressure, check by googling them.
Keep on top of the rust on the chassis, a quick way is a wire brush and wax oil with a paint brush.
Keep the front brake calipers well maintained as they tend to seize (sometimes beyond repair).
Have an enormous stock of nuts and bolts and a drill as they tend to sheer when removing.
Check the bottom pulley for wobble or play, they can if unchecked cause massive damage if it breaks. If unsure ask a mechanic to check. I would replace all the belts inc timing belt and replace the bottom pulley wheel to be safe, you don't know when it was last done and paper work can lie.
Make yourself aware of the fuse boxes, one behind the kick board in the drivers well, one in the engine bay. The drivers well use micro fuses so spare ones are well worth investing in. It's always dark when you need to access them and the footwell is the hardest to do.
Lastly have a scan through the "How To" guides on the forum, they give good clear guides done by members and will help stop any embarrassing questions and help make you into a reasonable DIY mechanic lol.
Don't be afraid to ask for help, there's some very knowledgeable members who are happy to advise.
Don't be afraid to join in the banter piss taking is part of the fun, after all you did buy an L200, lol.

Area Rep for Midlands

04 Warrior blacK,EGR blanked & removed,,De cat,Extended shackles,Pro shocks,
Ironman torsion bars,Ironman shockers,Wind deflectors,New fuel tank,New sump
Wheel spacers,Snorkel,Side marker lights,K&N air filter.

Major Malfunction
Date registered 07.12.2014

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What winch

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor