New Starter motor Issue, I think

#1 by MK3 1998 L200 ( Guest ) , Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Right, I have a MK3 1998 L200. I have only had the truck a couple of months but recently the starter motor burnt out with that awful electrical smell, burnt copper. I took it too a garage and luckily the starter motor was still under warranty from the bloke I bought it off who kindly got it delivered to his place. I collected it took it to my garage they fitted it, and the garage reckoned my battery was not powerful enough to take on the glow plugs and starter motor so I got a more powerful one. The truck starts first time which is great but that small is there and not sure what to do!? Firstly I took it back to the garage who said he'd taken it for a drive, checked heater, air and all that stuff and to wait and see if it's just the heat of the engine making that recent smell reappear. I think it's more than that as its pungent. Any ideas? Thanks

MK3 1998 L200

RE: New Starter motor Issue, I think

#2 by ronniecabers , Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:47 am

Any sign of blackening on any of the wires to indicate the wires getting too hot?

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

RE: New Starter motor Issue, I think

#3 by MK3 1998 L200 ( Guest ) , Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:23 am

Hi Ronnie,
The starter motor seems to get warm and yesterday as I had a few journeys with a chipper so under load it seemed to be much hotter but blackened wires, not really I don't think but will get a second opinion and what if they were? Thanks

MK3 1998 L200

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
L200 kocking noise

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor