Dodgy cars on ebay

#1 by HULK ( Guest ) , Wed May 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I've been looking for a 2006+ shape L200 for a few months now and cannot believe the numebr of dodgy ads on ebay. OK i'll be honest and say im looking at the bottom end -high miles, tatty, poor history etc for about £3500, but crikey! ive never seen it so rife with any other make/model. there is always a scam of some kind going on as thats the internet for you, but one on 3 is dodgy on the bay of E. Cars dont exist (no DVLA records when you do basic check), people impersonating garages (but different email and phone contacts given compared to website), stealing photos form other ads, sellers seeming to move around the country a lot, wrong spec (how many Walkinshaws have leafsprings exactly?). Ive called a few and they want me to leave a deposit via card... then i cant get hold of them to collect the car and pay balance, so i get bored chasing them and they keep my deposit as TECHNICALLY i've withdrawn from the purchase they've done nothing wrong. Ive seen this scam before so fortunately ive not been bitten, but they are all at it! [club]

so if anyone knows of a 2006+ shape L200 that is clean inside and straight bodywork and low price, let me know! [thanx]

HULK

RE: Dodgy cars on ebay

#2 by krutly , Wed May 24, 2017 3:27 pm

I know what you mean about the 'too good to be true' scams on ebay
usually a high spec at about half what you'd expect to pay
seller usually has a lot of similarly priced cars/vans/diggers/motorhomes etc etc
usually insists that you email them or phone them directly
most I've seen is one 'seller' with about 100 vehicles for sale
imagine taking a deposit on each one of those vehicles
then imagine taking ten deposits on each vehicle
this is a big money scam when you do the maths
the adverts usually appear in the evenings and weekends
I've reported every one that I've come across to ebay

to be fair to ebay there are not nearly as many as there were a few months ago but that doesn't mean they've stopped
BUYER BEWARE has never been more so than it is today

Glad to hear you've not been conned though Hulk
why not sign up to our forum
it's free to join and there is plenty of advice on here on what to look for when buying an L200 etc

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

RE: Dodgy cars on ebay

#3 by Hulk ( Guest ) , Wed May 24, 2017 8:29 pm

I have signed up -just waiting for the nod ;) [hug2]

Hulk

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Steering Ties Up When In 4 Wheel Drive