Another Plasterer who can help?

#1 by Dave1968 , Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:10 am

Whether it be something you wish to attempt yourself or perhaps you have damp issues (walls that is...) that 'so-called' experts claim to solve for £400+ for half a days work please feel free to PM me.

If I can give you some knowledge, tips etc... or perhaps you feel blinded with science from quotes that you've had. Maybe I can save you some money or at least explain whats what. I'm happy to do so for nothing!

Cheers

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968
Date registered 07.16.2012

RE: Another Plasterer who can help?

#2 by LezT , Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:24 am

Thanks Dave, good call mate...

K74 02 plate
Shoggy Sport 3.0 v6
2E0LEZ
Kenwood TS670.. Yaesu FT575GX.. YaesuFT8800D.....Yaesu FT897
Yaese FT101ZD......20M BitX3C TXRX
Kenwood Chef.....Goblin Teasmaid

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons”
FORUM MODERATOR...

LezT
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.01.2011

#3 by GaryF , Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:27 am

That's what it is all about. We all have areas of expertise and helping one another is good.

Thanks for the offer.

Gary.

Electricity Is Just Organised Lightning

2002 4Life D/Cab
Blue/Silver,
S/Steel 'A' Bar, S/Steel Double Rear Bumper with Step, Alloy Side Steps & Tow Bar.
Tub: Checker Plated with S/Steel.
Truckman Canopy.

GaryF
Date registered 10.02.2011

#4 by skotl , Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:18 am

Hi Dave - thanks for the offer of advice

A question, if I may... we have a brick wall in our garden, probably around 50ft long, which is at the bottom of a hill. The wall has gaps at its bottom to let water seep through, but the bricks have been busting their facings due to water going through the hill and into the bricks.
A builder has suggested (but not offered to do) that we should cover the external face in lath and then get a plasterer to post cement onto the lath.

I know this is a wee bit outside the usual plastering remit but what do you think?

BTW, he did say it would not be a permanent solution and we'd have to re-plaster every couple of years, but that this would still be cheaper than removing and replacing the entire wall.

Cheers
Scott

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

#5 by Greigboy , Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:43 am

Scott, my mate kenny had a similar issue and had done varios things to fix the wall, after a few years he pulled the wall down and put up gabians which hold the earth back but let the water through without damage and should last forever or almost

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy
Date registered 10.02.2011

#6 by Deleted User , Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:49 am

where are you based dave

#7 by shaun , Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:14 am

hi mate, its not just due to the water its down to the quality of the bricks , we have a lot f wall that were built round here and the they are all blowing faces off, gabion baskets are not cheap, how high and long is the wall, as it got to look nice , if so you place can place large pebbles on the face that will be seen then fill the rest up with clean crushed concrete, cheaper than gabbion stone , cheers

shaun  
shaun
Date registered 07.14.2012

#8 by stormforce , Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:28 am

Dave you fancy coming down to re-point the front of the house and render up the gable end for me

2011 Blue L200 Warrior.17" alloys 2.5 Di D 178 bhp
Richard
Trainee Mod

http://holmesheritageturkeys.weebly.com/

stormforce
Date registered 10.17.2011

#9 by Dave1968 , Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 am

Quote: skotl wrote in post #4

A question, if I may... we have a brick wall in our garden, probably around 50ft long, which is at the bottom of a hill. The wall has gaps at its bottom to let water seep through, but the bricks have been busting their facings due to water going through the hill and into the bricks.
A builder has suggested (but not offered to do) that we should cover the external face in lath and then get a plasterer to post cement onto the lath.

I know this is a wee bit outside the usual plastering remit but what do you think?

BTW, he did say it would not be a permanent solution and we'd have to re-plaster every couple of years, but that this would still be cheaper than removing and replacing the entire wall.

Cheers
Scott

Hey Scott!

Sorry for the delay; I was plastering a cottage yesterday. Which funnily enough is at the foot of a hill that takes alot of water at the gable end. Their issue is they have a 3ft thick wall is made from cobbles, cow dung, hay and whatever else was available 300yrs go. There is drainage to a main drain but still the wall is affected by persistent damp which penetrates the outside and seeps to the inside. They have a stone fireplace which has turned green through years of damp. Their dehumidifier is pumping water out at the same rate daily.

Their issue is similar to yours I think. I suggested a 'French drainage pipe system' which can divert the drained water elsewhere and usually works if carried out correctly. I think this could help you. Let Chuck from North Carolina explain a little, ha ha:

French Drainage System

If you're not familiar with the system read up on it and there should be a appropriate solution than should satisfy your walls issue.

One the wall has had time to dry out you could render it, the back coat of two coat plaster has waterproofer in it (the same as you would do indoors etc.) the top coat usually doesn't but some plasterers put it in. The idea is the first coat of render (sand and cement with waterproofer additive) protects the brickwork whilst the second coat (sand and cement with no additive) provides a breathable material to let rain penetrate and in time evaporate. The old argument is frost, does it crack and 'blow' the render off!? I've never had any of my top coat experience that that I know of using the second/top coat without additive.

The holes in your wall that allows water to pass could be painted with Wickes anti-damp proof bitumenous paint, unfortunately its black. If you run the French Pipe system in front of the wall the water shouldn't reach the wall. You could pack out the holes with limestone chippings.

Hope this helps and it makes sense!

Cheers

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

#10 by Dave1968 , Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:06 am

Quote: stormforce wrote in post #8
Dave you fancy coming down to re-point the front of the house and render up the gable end for me

Ha ha.. pointing is mental torture especially when you have to replace bricks, I helped a mate once and never again. It was ice cold winter near the sea front at Blackpool close to me and a miserable time.

Gable ends are fine with assistance. I did one last Friday alone, started 09:00 and finished sponging it at 10:15. Five solid hours of circular motions with a sponge makes you stir crazy!! No issues with gable ends!

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

#11 by Dave1968 , Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:09 am

Quote: Manraj wrote in post #6
where are you based dave

Hi Manraj! I'm in Thornton-Cleveleys, Lancashire where are you?

'03 Silver Warrior
Power Upgrade Chip
Roll Bar
Mountain Top
Decat
EGR Blanked
BFG A/Ts 265/70/R16's
Bedrug
Krutly Arch Covers
Morette Lights

Dave1968

#12 by ndjohnson86 , Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 am

Quote: skotl wrote in post #4

Cheers
Scott

I would think that to rebuild the wall would be the best option with proper drainage behind uo the back of the wall the whole legth taking the water away. I'd look at a drystone walking product it would work out cheaper than a brick built wall or oak sleepers with drainage behind it depend how high the wall is maybe landscape the garden and terrace it if it's a bank if you've got pics I'll have a look and give you further advice

Newshape Animal running Cooper Discoverer ATR's
Cruise control fitted and hydrogen very possibly next
nic@njohnsonlandscapegardening.co.uk
www.njohnsonlandscapegardening.co.uk

ndjohnson86
Date registered 10.17.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Plumbing & Bathrooms/DIY shop

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor