To body lift or to wait.......

#1 by Yoda , Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:08 pm

I am desperate to get off road again in the truck. The Salisbury plain weekend is right up my street and not far away either. Just the sort of thing I have to miss out on. Thing is she just isn't quite ready for it yet. Biggest thing is it needs lifting again. I'm not a proponent of cutting and bashing my arches and body work so another lift is my only option. I really wanted to wait until Rich had the ball joint spacers made so that I could go that route. But I'm starting to get too eager... so the question is, body lift or not? On the plus side it's cheaper and means I don't need new shocks for the extra lift to work. On the down side it's not my honest preference and it's a pig to do.

Decisions.........

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

RE: To body lift or to wait.......

#2 by robl200 , Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 pm

You'll be fine to do the weekend without the body lift. Saves you having to rush it. Mines coped fine with slightly bigger tyres and a little lift on the suspension. Once the weekend is done then lift it!

Y reg trojan 184k now sold after 8 years of off road shenanigans and rebuilds and laffs!!

02 4life 72k in pieces!!

robl200
Date registered 10.02.2011

#3 by stormforce , Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 pm

The plains is ok with standard truck

2011 Blue L200 Warrior.17" alloys 2.5 Di D 178 bhp
Richard
Trainee Mod

http://holmesheritageturkeys.weebly.com/

stormforce
Date registered 10.17.2011

#4 by Yoda , Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 pm

I can't make the date anyway and I wanted to coat the inside of the chassis rails with waxoyl before more off roading. That one's simple though.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda

#5 by Stick , Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:26 pm

I have some spray cavity wax i could part with, i recon i have around 8 tins of it.

I carry an OCD warning......and Tourettes

GOBSHITE!

Stick
Date registered 11.02.2011

#6 by Yoda , Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Oooh really? What do I need to spray with? I used a garden sprayer to do the underside........ The waxoyl sprayer was the definition of useless. And, asking a stupid question, how do I know I have a full covering inside the chassis rail?

I was considering having the insides done professionally for these reasons.

Yoda

Last edited 07.27.2012 | Top

#7 by ebony266 , Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:52 pm

I to am waiting Yoda i want the ball joint lift ?? and i have been oh so patient ??

ebony266
Date registered 10.27.2011

#8 by Greigboy , Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:46 am

Quote: ebony266 wrote in post #7
I to am waiting Yoda i want the ball joint lift ?? and i have been oh so patient ??

Me too, but I know Stormy understandably has his hands full at the moment with family and stuff.
I may have to look for an alternative as its starting to cost me a set of front tyres, a body lift is no use to me as for me as the truck is my daily driver and it would make the truck unuseable for car parks, mutistoreys, going to the tip, anywhere with height restrictions etc, which is often the case on holibags as well, it just creeps under them at the moment ( note to self must check with snorkel on)
Ive got slightly bigger profile tyres on and don't plan on fitting tyres that are any bigger than I have now, so for me a body lift is a bit of a false economy as its not going to increase the ground clearance under the truck, which for me is the most important, its just like putting a pair of stilletos on the truck (ooh err matron)

I'm happy with the height of mine at the moment but that's with the bars wound up and its rattling the fillings out of my teeth, it would be nice to fit the bj spacers to give the lift, and wind the bars down a bit to take some of the bounce out and restore some of the negative camber by getting it shimmed

Former owner of a 2003 L200 WARRIOR IN SILVER and a 2001 L200 ANIMAL IN RED/SILVER

Greigboy

Last edited 07.28.2012 | Top

#9 by treeboa , Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:26 am

not keen on body lifts in any form, your altering drastically the road holding ability of your vehicle in my thoughts, yes on dedicated off roaders do it, by lifting your altering your roll angles as your cog is higher, your braking as the body is swinging forward from a higher arc under heavy braking, everything above the chassis is giving exaggerated stress to mountings and to some extent the suspension, if your going for it then go for it , just be aware of the shortcomings that go with it and make sure your insurance are aware of what you have done, there was a landrover some time back with higher body mounts and suspension lifts that hit the news because of what happened

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

try 7 up - snow white did

treeboa

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
EGT gauge purchased

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor