EGT gauge purchased

#1 by Yoda , Thu May 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Purchased Werbung: this so that I can carry on with more aggressive engine mods in a safe manner. Measurements indicate it will go into the instrument binnacle on the dash. So with that in mind I think I'll lose the tilt gauge and fit the egt in it's place. Was going to do the intercooler next but I might just bump that down the list and go straight for the water injection.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

RE: EGT gauge purchased

#2 by Basil , Thu May 17, 2012 6:31 pm

thats a good site, loadsa goodies - I got the same and a boost gauge - soon be here

2007, Y plate 4life,
2010, 55 plate L200 4work++
March 2013, 11 plate Barbarian. Wrapped, OME all round, remapped to 210, straight piped 2.5" SS.

Basil
Forum Legend
Date registered 03.07.2012

#3 by TwedL200 , Thu May 17, 2012 10:46 pm

are you putting it in before or after the turbo yoda?

Border Control
2005 4life - Beast. 87,000 miles and still going...
Mods: Snorkel, roll bar and A bar with 6 spotlights, 3" lift, AT tyres
To do: replace sump, extended brake hoses, BJ spacers, decat, de-EGR
More planned but skint!

TwedL200
Date registered 10.31.2011

#4 by skotl , Thu May 17, 2012 10:51 pm

Speaking on behalf of the technologically challenged, can I ask what the EGT is?

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.09.2012

#5 by Deleted User , Thu May 17, 2012 10:52 pm

exhaust gas temp

#6 by skotl , Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 pm

Oooohhh... I think I want one of them...

err... why do I want one of them...??

2006 warrior auto, black&chrome, roll bars, TopUp load cover. K&N, reverse sensors, cruise, BFG AT KO 265/70/17, surfari snorkel. Stainless straight through side exhaust. nderbody armour. Rock-sliders

skotl
Forum Legend

#7 by Basil , Thu May 17, 2012 11:05 pm

shut up and buy one they`re really nice

2007, Y plate 4life,
March 2013, 11 plate Barbarian. Wrapped, OME all round, remapped to 210, straight piped 2.5" SS.

Basil
Forum Legend

#8 by skotl , Thu May 17, 2012 11:08 pm

'kin sold!

skotl
Forum Legend

#9 by Yoda , Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 pm

Hahahahaha.... If you are gonna mess with a diesel engine in anyway fitting one of these is a must. Every diesle has a max egt to run at. Don't go over it and you can pump hydrogen in or tune it to your hearts content. Cheap as chips too.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda

#10 by Yoda , Thu May 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Twed it goes in as close to the engine head as possible to give a true reading of combustion temp. Turbo is too far away.

Yoda

#11 by skotl , Thu May 17, 2012 11:15 pm

OK, despite Basil distracting me, I'd still like to know a wee bit more. Yoda; you mention max egt - would you be able to expand on it at all?

Cheers
scott the genuinely interested

skotl
Forum Legend

#12 by Basil , Thu May 17, 2012 11:18 pm

many apologies you poor old chap - never meant to distract you - if I`m honest I bought one on Yodas recommend - still don`treally know why , but it sounded good at the time (got a boost gauge too cos my 4work is hopeless at feedback

2007, Y plate 4life,

Basil
Forum Legend

#13 by Yoda , Thu May 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Yes, I could talk all day on it actually. But I'm about to go to ved. Scroll back a couple pages on Basil hydrogen thread and you'll see I explained quie a bit there. Very useful for tuning safely and keeping engines cool for maximum efficiency. Have a look on that thread and get back to me if you want more info.

Yoda

#14 by Basil , Thu May 17, 2012 11:21 pm

stay up yoda - ten more minutes and you`ll get your fourth star!!!!!!

2007, Y plate 4life,

Basil
Forum Legend

#15 by skotl , Thu May 17, 2012 11:22 pm

OK, thanks a lot, Yoda.

And for nothing, Basil

skotl
Forum Legend

#16 by Basil , Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 pm

most welcome

2007, Y plate 4life,

Basil
Forum Legend

#17 by TwedL200 , Thu May 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Posted by: Yoda
Twed it goes in as close to the engine head as possible to give a true reading of combustion temp. Turbo is too far away.

good good. correct answer! lol

Border Control
2005 4life - Beast. 87,000 miles and still going...
Mods: Snorkel, roll bar and A bar with 6 spotlights, 3" lift, AT tyres
To do: replace sump, extended brake hoses, BJ spacers, decat, de-EGR
More planned but skint!

TwedL200
Date registered 10.31.2011

#18 by Deleted User , Thu May 17, 2012 11:43 pm

I think my scan gauge gives egt readings Il have a look tomo and report back

#19 by treeboa , Fri May 18, 2012 12:18 am

i take it then that this sensor is not mounted into the exhaust gas flow ???

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

try 7 up - snow white did

treeboa
Date registered 10.02.2011

#20 by treeboa , Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

hell they have some stuff on thier site, though i had problems getting past

Werbung: THIS

05 warrior, veg converted, no cat, no egr, no silly steel bin air filter, blood red shackles and poly bushed, buggered

The following contents have been linked to this post::

treeboa

#21 by Yoda , Fri May 18, 2012 9:07 am

I don't think it would suit you Mike. Not unless you look like her. In which case is there something you're not telling us???

So to answer last nights questions. An EGT gauge as said is an Exhaust Gas Temperature measurement.

What it does............. This is a true reading of what temp your engine is running at as it is the temperature being generated by the combustion. This means it is far more accurate than the temp gauge on your dash which if memory serves (someone may correct me) is taken from a water channel as the hot water leaves your engine. An EGT gauge will and should show fluctuation in it's reading of around 3-400 degrees. When you are pootling around town it will show a lot less than when you are hauling half a tonne up hill. For this reason it is far far more accurate than the dash temp gauge which will not show any difference in those driving circumstances. It is best located in the exhaust manifold as close to the head as possible. Scot.... if I'm teaching you to suck eggs I apologise, - but the exhaust manifold is the pipe work that channels 4 exhaust ports on your cylinder head into one exhaust pipe.

Various reasons why you would want one.........There are 3 reasons for this. It is exhaust gas temps that will blow a head, head gasket or potentially cause piston failure or block cracking. Though the latter is very unlikely. So if you are tuning a diesel engine you need one so that you know when you are venturing into dangerous territory. More fuel + more air = more power & A LOT more HEAT. Any engine with an ally head is easily over tuned if you add more fuel and air. So you need to know what temp your explosion is to be safe. However you might not be interested in more power but just want to keep your engine as cool as possible by doing things like a better intercooler and larger exhaust. Or extra bonnet vents or extra fans. This will tell you if you are succeeding. Lastly you may not be making ANY changes to your engine but just wish to have a far more accurate and early warning of potential over heating. Again no bad thing on ANY vehicle with an Ally head. For reasons stated above you will understand how an engine about to over heat will register on an EGT gauge BEFORE it registers on your dash temp gauge.

Forum applications..........As most people know I am tuning my engine a little and it would be unwise for me to go any further without monitoring EGT's. This is also where water injection comes in as it's design purpose is too dramatically cool EGT's. This then allows you to either increase boost and fuel to achieve more power at the same but often lower EGT's. Water injection also increases horsepower and mpg in a surprisingly similar way to a Hydrogen fuel cell. Which in turn is why Basil has bought one of these gauges. Effectively he has added a different fuel parameter into the mix. In theory the hydrogen replaces a percentage of his own diesel by enabling him to use less throttle so in turn it should keep EGT's the same. But still, it would be wise to confirm the manufacturer claim that it does not raise engine temps. With his truck running one and mine we can see if there is any difference in EGT temps from the Hydrogen fuel cell. Hopefully of course we hope there isn't. Once this data has been gathered I will be making an informed comparison with the water injection already fitted to an L200 by Devils Own and the expected mpg increase thereof. Then making a decision on whether to go down the water injection or hydrogen fuel cell route. I'm sure many people will find this kind of unarguable date quite useful too. No more speculation about what our engines can and can't handle whether you are looking to increase power or mpg.

Yoda

#22 by treeboa , Fri May 18, 2012 9:48 am

the only issue i can see is people panicing, when you sample at source the variations can be quite dramatic, and often fairly rapid, the more accurate a gauge is the more movement is seen etc etc, where we see little or no movement of the water temp gauge while going up a hill, a egt gauge is going to show a lot as you press the pedal to compensate ideally any gauge used would carry adjustable min/max pointers, most wont, or if a digital like my boost gauge you will have a warning light that comes on at a specific reading

treeboa

#23 by Yoda , Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 am

I agree. Which is why in a healthy engine that is running well you just need to not panic until you are used to what readings / range your engine runs at in a variety of conditions. This reason you present is likely the reason vehicles aren't fitted with EGT gauges from factory. It would be panic central!

Yoda

#24 by Yoda , Fri May 18, 2012 10:31 am

This site was sent to me by Basil as he thought I would find it of interest. He was spot on! If you have found this thread interesting so far I strongly suggest you read this link. For me it definitively explains why there seems to be common denominator between people fitting chips and blowing heads. I t also explains why some people have blown heads without any apparent warning. It also in better language explains the effect of EGT's on a diesel engine. And shows beyond doubt why remapping or chipping is safe if done correctly. On that not its a very clever intuitive add on chip that these guys have built. For starters it gives 150BHP with an EGT failsafe!!!!!

Short answer, if you want to avoid over heating fit an EGT gauge and learn how to read it and drive accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTE: there is a warning about where an EGT is fitted. Namely that if fitted before the turbo a cheap EGT make break off and damage the turbo and in turn the engine. I am looking into this before deciding whether to fit my EGT after the turbo or to buy a more expensive EGT gauge. Basil, take note!!!!!!!

Yoda

Last edited 05.18.2012 | Top

#25 by Bootsie , Fri May 18, 2012 10:35 am

All these readings can be taken from the new shape simply by using scannner and leaving it on whilst driving, will record all the information you need and can be played back on a pc. all temperstures are shown in degrees C, rether than the temp guage incar hot/cold. So rather than buy these guages for a new shape just get a good fault code scanner or use the Torque app and android phone for £24 total and get axhaust gas temp, intake temp, boost pressure, vacuum readings,fuel pressure etc.

2006 'new shape' from new 66000 miles, no problems, just serviced every 12k miles.

Bootsie  
Bootsie

Last edited 05.18.2012 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Wires

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor