mayday mayday mayday truck will not start .

#1 by johnnyfaulty , Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:07 am

hi guys , quick question if any 1 can shed any light for me would be good

so i not long bought a nice 06 classic animal 4d46 2.5tdi that chucked a rod through the block . i thought no worries i got a spare block

so it looks like the block i have (taken from a 2002 animal ) is an old style block that had a protruding valve head fitted , due to it having pistons with sort of clover leaf shapes to the dimple on the top of them , so looking online to see if a flush valve head would work on it it seemed to yes was the answer but with a very small amount of compression loss . i can live with that i thought just for a couple of months till i can get a block and get it rebuilt , so put it all togeather and started her up , took fooking ages to start and runs as lumpy as fook and smokes bad . now wont start at all .

i did find that the EML light bulb had been removed aswell so i have put that back in .

is this due to wrong head ? or anouther problem .

i also see i have hardly any diesel squirting out of fuel rail when i crack it off to bleed it . i get a tiny dribble of fuel , could this be injector pump .

bit of a bugger really as i sold my nice rebuilt top to bottom 52 plate animal so i could get this newer 1 (cos it looks better all in black ) so i now have no truck till i can get this 1 running . does any 1 have a fuel pump they would sell if it turns out to be this .

any help would be great guys

thanks you

Don't you wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence? There's one marked 'Brightness' but it doesn't seem to work.

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty
Date registered 03.11.2015

RE: mayday mayday mayday truck will not start .

#2 by 123hotchef , Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 am

how is the timming? and have you checked the pump pre lift

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by johnnyfaulty , Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:24 am

timing is good spot on in fact . not looked at prelift as yet . tad worried about the lack of fuel being well not squirted out the injetors when i have the rail lose for bleeding .

Don't you wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence? There's one marked 'Brightness' but it doesn't seem to work.

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#4 by ronniecabers , Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:29 am

Take it pump timing is spot on too? Do you get an engine light come on ? How about running it out a fresh can if diesel?

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#5 by 123hotchef , Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 am

id try by passing the tank and filter and running from a gallon can

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#6 by johnnyfaulty , Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Quote: ronniecabers wrote in post #4
Take it pump timing is spot on too? Do you get an engine light come on ? How about running it out a fresh can if diesel?

eml light comes on now i put a bulb in

not tried running from a can yet

changed the filter smorning bled it out the filter but the primer goes soft of a few cranks . i assume air takes 5 or 6 pumps to get it hard again

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#7 by krutly , Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 pm

once firm ,the primer shouldn't go soft unless you've got air getting in the system somewhere

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#8 by 4life-extreme , Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm

check stack pipes on fuel tank as they corrode and air could be getting in

AREA REPRESENTATIVE - South Central England
2002 4Life Blue over silver with diff lock,wind deflectors x 4, bonnet bug deflector, snorkel, 30mm wheel spacers, Angel eye spot lights, Bonnet gas struts, CB. GripMax A/T 265/75/16. Boost gauge, Oil Catch Can, Extended rear shackles (164k miles. R.I.P.), New long Milner Engine ( 62k miles) New Turbo @ 236k
JOBS TO DO
Pro comp Front`n`Rear shox, Winch bumper, Rock Sliders

4life-extreme
Date registered 02.17.2012

#9 by 123hotchef , Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:07 pm

what he said! thats why run it from a can then u kno it is only a couple of things if it runs well from the can

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#10 by johnnyfaulty , Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 pm

well done the can trick . still no joy . getting feck all fuel through the pump to injectors i will assume its the pump that is at fault? i even cracked off 1 of the lines on back of pump . barley gets the pipe wet with the ammount of fuel dribbling out

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#11 by ronniecabers , Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Silly question you have connected the electrical connection for the pump , and all the pipes are done right? ( don't want to make it sound like i'm treating you like an idiot , its just easy to forget the simple things sometimes!

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#12 by Heathen , Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Before writing off the injecter pump entirely, check the fuel stop solenoid on top/back of the pump - it should be making a buzzing sound when the ignition is switched on. If not it is knackered, or you have faulty wiring. Next you want to get hold of a multimeter and check all the resistances across the fuel pump electrical connecters, as detailed in https://arbtalk.co.uk/applications/core/...t.php?id=232346, page 62.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen
Date registered 05.20.2016

#13 by johnnyfaulty , Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 pm

will take a look tomorrow between rain showers , and report back

when i got it to start the other day it took about half a can of break cleaner , but she did run , lumpy as fook but ran , tons of smoke and would not rev past 3.5k . spluttered like fook while reving it aswell .

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#14 by johnnyfaulty , Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Quote: Heathen wrote in post #12
Before writing off the injecter pump entirely, check the fuel stop solenoid on top/back of the pump - it should be making a buzzing sound when the ignition is switched on. If not it is knackered, or you have faulty wiring. Next you want to get hold of a multimeter and check all the resistances across the fuel pump electrical connecters, as detailed in https://arbtalk.co.uk/applications/core/...t.php?id=232346, page 62.

is there a way i can open this up manually with some wire at all ??

would a faulty crank sensor stop the pump from pumping fuel ?

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#15 by Heathen , Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Here's a vid of one with a faulty crank sensor - it does sound a bit like your problem, but hard to tell really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEExs_K78E

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#16 by johnnyfaulty , Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:58 pm

Quote: Heathen wrote in post #15
Here's a vid of one with a faulty crank sensor - it does sound a bit like your problem, but hard to tell really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEExs_K78E

good vid thanks , will re check it down low tomorrow if rain holds off .

i did have a play today , looked at the stop solenoid , did not seem to click under turning on ignition , fed a wire from battery to top of it and it clicked . gonna get a volt meter and see what is what ,will try and source another stop solenoid aswell to fit see if that helps .

if no power to that would that mean a wireing issue . i checked fuse 15 but that was fine .

i hope its not immob problem

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#17 by Heathen , Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Stop solenoid should be making a very audible buzzing when ignition is on.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen

#18 by johnnyfaulty , Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:45 am

Quote: Heathen wrote in post #17
Stop solenoid should be making a very audible buzzing when ignition is on.

does it .. in that case i got feck all only a click when i put a wire on strait from battery .

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#19 by mike-b- , Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Ive been running mine without plunger and spring in the stop solenoid for 2k to date. After a fuel problem.04 k74 . No problems since but assuming i would have try stall it if it would not shut down.

2004 warrior black

mike-b-
Date registered 10.22.2011

#20 by johnnyfaulty , Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Quote: mike-b- wrote in post #19
Ive been running mine without plunger and spring in the stop solenoid for 2k to date. After a fuel problem.04 k74 . No problems since but assuming i would have try stall it if it would not shut down.

may try it tomorrow and see if it will go with no plunger in

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#21 by johnnyfaulty , Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 am

so popped out to the ol girl to try removing the fuel stop solenoid , took it out removed the plunger and spring screwed the big bit back on and cracked off injector pipe , still no fuel to injectors even with the stop removed .

went to undo it to put plunger and spring back in and had some hissing then a good squirt of fuel came out , done it back up still with 1 lose injector , yet still no fuel to them . tried undoing 1 at a time nothing , thought bugger it undid the fuel pipes from back of pump , not a dribble cumming out .

looking more and more like a fubared pump isn't it ?

any thing else i need try before i take to plunge and try to find a used pump .

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#22 by mike-b- , Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 am

Have you checked to see if its blocked up with owt my problems started after veg use. Check the metal pipe front /top. Ran mine on petrol/ diesel mix for a few tank fulls after removing and cleaning fuel tank etc.

2004 warrior black

mike-b-
Date registered 10.22.2011

#23 by johnnyfaulty , Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:51 am

may try blowing it through with airline , see what that does .. looks to be getting fuel up to the stop solenoid point but no further . poss blocked in rear of pump where the fuel pipes to injectors connect ?

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

#24 by 123hotchef , Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:04 pm

is this a fbw truck?

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#25 by johnnyfaulty , Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Quote: 123hotchef wrote in post #24
is this a fbw truck?

yes it is 2006 Animal on a classic shape

johnnyfaulty  
johnnyfaulty

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Danne´s garage

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor