RE: Yoda's build project.

#601 by Camone , Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Bet his eyes were like dustbin lids when you blipped the throttle

Camone  
Camone
Date registered 09.01.2014

#602 by tigger , Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Ha ha that's the sort of experience I like, especially as you've said on tickover it's relatively quiet.

2003 Double cab Warrior
2009 Navara tekna

tigger
Date registered 05.10.2012

#603 by Yoda , Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:42 pm

I'm actually going to try to retain that feature of it being quiet on tickover. It means you can potter around in close proximity to people and they won't know there's anything unusual going on. So I'm thinking Varex exhausts or switcheable flaps when I do upgrade the system. So it will stay quiet at low revs. Say up to 15/1700. But when you stamp on the loud pedal and open the flaps it turns into a monster. Just adds to the sleeper mentality. I also don't want loads of chavs stopping me every time I park up to go into town.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda
Date registered 10.16.2011

Last edited 02.18.2016 | Top

#604 by tigger , Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:00 pm

The element of surprise, if a chav stops you just tell him it's standard with a big exhaust and a cheap gadget you buy off eBay to make it sound like that.

2003 Double cab Warrior
2009 Navara tekna

tigger
Date registered 05.10.2012

#605 by woody13 , Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:31 pm

Quote: Yoda wrote in post #597
It has shed loads of torque mate. Yes I don't see it being a problem. It's got considerably more torque than the 4D56. And the auto box is ideal for it.

Sounds good.

FORUM AREA REPRESENTATIVE - North West England
2.8 Import,gone but not forgotten...
The Beast,never to be forgotten...
The Big Silver Beastie,soon to be reborn...

The Frankenfender is on its way....

woody13
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.05.2011

#606 by Yoda , Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:14 pm

@MrPAH Here you go mate. Vids on the previous page.

"LS200" - 1UZ V8, auto tiptronic, super select, Upol Raptor paint. Bigger, faster, louder, brighter.

Yoda

#607 by Yoda , Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:02 pm

Engine and gearbox tuning. Update No.1.

This is the part I've been really looking forward to. Got the air fuel ratio gauge kit installed. Sensor is in the header and control module is in the passenger footwell. Switched out the dash for one from a V6 truck. Then plugged the laptop in. Under guidance from a very experienced friend we discovered some very interesting things. The ECU basemap is supposed to run rich but we weren't expecting an AFR of 10! It should be nearer 14.7 which it now is after a couple of hours mapping. While I was under the truck routing the cable for the sensor I spotted a leak from the fuel pump. Easily remedied and now sorted. Combining these two it's no wonder my fuel economy was so bad. It immediately looks way better on the fuel gauge now but of course I need to do some maths at the end of this tank and see what's happening. But the extreme smell of petrol and clouds of fumes from the exhaust has gone. There is SO much more to come in the way of tuning. We'll be doing more AFR this weekend and then I need to fit a knock sensor and get to a rolling road to dial in the timing. You can play with off throttle fuel input, idle input, .... I can't even remember the amount of variables that can be changed. For example you can save a map that on a hot day allows you to dial down the AFR to be more rich to keep the engine cooler in traffic. There's compensation settings that allow you to dial in what it needs to do on a cold start. Like a choke but ECU controlled. It's endless. Then theres gearbox settings. Lock up, slip, shift aggressiveness, semi auto, full auto, full manual... It all needs to be mapped. For example in semi auto mode you can make a legal shift but it will only allow it if you're within set rev limits. But you can set that shift so that if you're not within set limits it will shift you when you are. It's bonkers! Anyway, enough on that for now. The rpm pulse calibration needs to worked out. The TCU takes a signal from the ECU which reads the rom from the crank sensor. The rev counter in the dash also reads it from the ECU. So you have to set the pulses correctly otherwise, as we discovered, you end up with a rev counter that's working but a gearbox that thinks you're only doing 400rpm when you're actually at 4000rpm. So instead of locking up and allowing drive it's allowing slip. Haven't quite figured out the correct setting yet.

Today I set about checking the ignition system as I've been thinking the more I get used to it that it's not firing on all cylinders. Turns out I was right. Only three HT leads are within tolerance. One is completely open circuit and three more are so high they are reading into the Mega Ohms. The last one is perfect. So at best it's running on seven cylinders. At worst its running on four ok, one not at all and three below par. Picking up some new leads tomorrow. Can't wait to see how it is once it's running right. The bit that really blows my mind is it's never run right since I got it. And it's not exactly slow! Sure the problem's got worse but it's going to feel better than ever when it's right. This does seem to be common issue for ignition systems on these engines.

I also fitted some kill switches on the fuel pump as an anti theft device. And you have to know the sequence to get it started. But you're not getting photos of them as they're hidden.

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Yoda

#608 by Yoda , Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:03 pm

Yoda

#609 by Yoda , Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:21 pm

Picked up some spare rocker covers and an intake plenum and got them powder coated. Same paint code as the body work but gloss finish to make it pop. Can't fit them yet as they aren't fully hardened.

Yoda

#610 by George , Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Very nice job I do love the sound when you hit the load pedal would love to see it in the flesh
super job be proud
And the rocker cover Basil has now got competition nice

2000 4/Life Blue/Silver 102000 miles
Fitted Bonnet Struts
New Clutch Fitted
At the moment now got a Saab not no more
And now I have got a Warrior

George  
George
Date registered 10.29.2011

#611 by Yoda , Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:29 pm

Cheers pal. To be honest there is still so much left to do to this thing. The conversion basically gave me a rough diamond. Getting the best out of it is a complex process.

Yoda

#612 by Yoda , Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:42 pm

They're on...

It really needs the steam clean now for the rest of the engine. And some old rusty bolts replaced for anodised jobbies.

Yoda

#613 by 123hotchef , Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:44 pm

looking great Luke what air filter did u go for in the end is it up to the job?

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#614 by Yoda , Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Still not sorted that yet. Going to get a Piper Cross Venom. But it's like £120 so it can wait a bit. It's the only enclosed water tight filter with a CFM high enough for my engine. Good for 650hp so it will be good long term.

Yoda

Last edited 04.14.2016 | Top

#615 by 123hotchef , Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:18 pm

in orange! lol

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#616 by Yoda , Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:19 pm

Hahaha. Probably be boring and get black.

Yoda

#617 by Yoda , Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:10 am

So after I put the rocker covers and upper intake on last week it wouldn't start. At first I thought it was something I did but now looks like it might be a starter fault. The starter is in the valley so out the intake came again. The other possibility being thrown around is that when you remove the intakes dirt ends up finding its way into that ports before you can block them up. Anyway, I'm back on it today so will hopefully find answers.

On the plus side the extra time off the road gave me the chance to powder coat the lower intake. I wasn't planning on doing it but once the upper intake went on it stood out like a sore thumb. Went for black as it's much harder to get to for cleaning.

Yoda

#618 by Rob1307 , Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:18 am

Looking good 😀

02 animal double cab back on the road after two years in a barn
shogun sport , not much I can say about it really other than it’s slower than the l200 🤷‍♂️
In hythe kent

Rob1307
Date registered 08.02.2014

#619 by George , Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:27 am

As said looking very nice

2000 4/Life Blue/Silver 102000 miles
Fitted Bonnet Struts
New Clutch Fitted
At the moment now got a Saab not no more
And now I have got a Warrior

George