Transfer case leaking

#1 by mikeb1986 , Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:37 pm

As title states, I've got a leak on my transfer case - 56 pram, with the normal type 4wd selecter 2H, 4H, 4L. It looks to be coming from the front output shaft seal and I've had that replaced but still looks to be leaking. Wondered if anyone has had any trouble with this before?
I don't want to have to replace the prop but my only thought is the seal is a bad one or my mate has made a hash of fitting it, or the shaft on the prop is worn and not sealing properly.

There is oil all over the box but I dont think there is anything above it that could be tracing oil down, presumably box is covered in oil from flicking around off the prop. I have given it a good clean today, left a fresh sheet of ply under it and will re inspect before and after a short run out tomorrow. I don't think its leaking once I stop moving, theres only a few drops of oil every day. Thanks

mikeb1986  
mikeb1986
Date registered 04.30.2015

RE: Transfer case leaking

#2 by 123hotchef , Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm

r u sure it is transfer box oil? wipe it on ur finger and smell it u will soon know.

what seal did you fit? was it a milner special? I only use seals from mitsi now

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#3 by mikeb1986 , Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Definately gear oil.

It is a Milners seal... Are they getting a bit of a reputation for bad bits? I will swap for a Mitsubishi one if so.

mikeb1986  
mikeb1986
Date registered 04.30.2015

#4 by 123hotchef , Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:15 pm

to be honest mate i do not rate there seals some bits are bad some are good. cheapest option for u is to replace the seal with a genuine one they are only a few quid more.

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Tuning options - ralliart or agri tune?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor