Metallic screeching noise...

#1 by Nik Rite , Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Just bought a classic k74 133k miles and Ive fallen in love! Last car I loved was my golf thirty years ago. Anyway
Towing a heavy trailer 100 miles last night and EML came on.I then lost power, down to 30 mph. Pulled in...oil level spot on and doesn't use any water. If I turn off the ignition and on again ,the EML goes off. Temperature stays bang in the middle. There is a metallic screeching noise from the engine when you move the accelerator from cruising to slightly more load. Its not the sound of slipping belts. It sounds metal on metal. It doesn't do it if Im sitting at the side of the road just blipping the throttle. Only when under load. Thought? Where do I start looking?? Ta Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite
Date registered 03.26.2018

RE: Metallic screeching noise...

#2 by krutly , Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:19 pm

sounds turbo related to me
EML coming on and losing power is more often than not turbo overboost
usually only happens when under heavy load like towing or putting your foot down on a long hill
turning ignition off and waiting 60 seconds will usually reset this
there is a how to to adjust the turbo here -------> How to :- Adjust Turbo Overboost
sometimes you can get a screeching noise when the EGR gasket or manifold gasket are blowing

big thing to check is that the front bottom pulley is not wobbling (look down at it when it's running) or with the engine off check for play
if it wobbles then dont drive it or you'll cause more damage

on the plus side, the temp sitting exactly in the middle is good news

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by pcat , Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:34 pm

I had a similar noise, turned out to be EGR gasket boost leak.

pcat  
pcat
Date registered 08.28.2017

#4 by Nik Rite , Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 am

Thanks guys, these machines are new to me but I somehow feel its the turbo. Krutly, its exactly as you suggest, heavy towing to up hill. The machine is new to me so I'm just learning. I think the turbo has to come off.. I also need a new exhaust front to rear so its all in the same area. Would you have the turbo rebuilt or a recon one or what? Is there anything to do or look out for while doing the job? Any new pipes, seals etc etc?
I live in N West on wirral. Do you know of anyone who is handy at l200's. since the machine is new to me and I intend to keep it i'm keen to do it right. Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

#5 by krutly , Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:54 am

@Alan G @123hotchef @4life-extreme @Heathen may all be able to offer advice with regards to fitting new turbos but it may not need one, it may just need you to find out which gasket has gone and replace that to cure your issues. Obviously this isn't as easy as it sounds as I suspect you'll only get it to screech under load (while driving) and the second you pull over and lift the bonnet it'll be nice and quiet. @pcat , which gasket was the one that was blowing on yours and where was it , was it the one on the top near the rocker cover or the one down on the manifold ?

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#6 by pcat , Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:00 am

Quote: krutly wrote in post #5
@Alan G @123hotchef @4life-extreme @Heathen may all be able to offer advice with regards to fitting new turbos but it may not need one, it may just need you to find out which gasket has gone and replace that to cure your issues. Obviously this isn't as easy as it sounds as I suspect you'll only get it to screech under load (while driving) and the second you pull over and lift the bonnet it'll be nice and quiet. @pcat , which gasket was the one that was blowing on yours and where was it , was it the one on the top near the rocker cover or the one down on the manifold ?

Top one mate but apparently they are both common. I ended up getting the garage to do mine as it went a week before my mot was due

I didnt have eml with mine though

pcat  
pcat
Date registered 08.28.2017

#7 by Nik Rite , Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:26 pm

It always nice to read the answer. Im learning fast! What was happening is that under load the vanes of the turbo where touching the inner walls of the turbo casing due to play in the turbo bearings.Hence the screeching. A new miners turbo later and a lot of swearing...back in business. Thanks for the help. Nik

Nik Rite  
Nik Rite

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Tip when installing new alternator on K74

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor