Tip when installing new alternator on K74

#1 by bikers1 , Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi Folks,

Wasn't sure quite where to put this so here it is.

Had to stop the truck last week as the voltmeter was off the top stop, 18v at the battery, so disconnected it and got home on the battery.

Ordered a new alternator from Milners. I'd only done ALL the belts 4 weeks ago .....

Installed the alternator, despite Mitsi's terrible ergonomics , then spent half a day trying to got the sodding alternator belts back on but to no avail, way too tight.

Here's the tip ,

the original Mitsi alternator pulley is 77.5mm diameter on the outside, 54mm in the base of the groove.

The replacement alternator's pulley is 84mm od and 60mm in the base of the groove.

The Milner belt kit contains 10x1075 belts , which went on the original alternator fine but are wrong for the new alternator they supplied.

You need to buy 10x1088 belts if you want them to fit the new alternator. I can't say if this is an issue for alternators from other suppliers.

I did try to swap the pulleys, but the oxy/acetylene torch, 12" vice, windy gun and 2ft breaker bar getting all medieval on it, wouldn't budge :-)

Hope this saves someone a few hours and bleeding fingers

'05 L200 Classic Club Cab
& more bikes and chops than I should need, but I do :-)

bikers1  
bikers1
Date registered 08.17.2013

Last edited 04.16.2018 | Top

RE: Tip when installing new alternator on K74

#2 by Major Malfunction , Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:20 am

Fair play, but the only problem I have had with the alternator was a seized anchor bolt. Each time I tried to get it out the more skin I removed from my knuckles lol
Interesting about the belts though.

Area Rep for Midlands

04 Warrior blacK,EGR blanked & removed,,De cat,Extended shackles,Pro shocks,
Ironman torsion bars,Ironman shockers,Wind deflectors,New fuel tank,New sump
Wheel spacers,Snorkel,Side marker lights,K&N air filter.

Major Malfunction
Date registered 07.12.2014

RE: Tip when installing new alternator on K74

#3 by 123hotchef , Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 am

hum maybe thats why it sucks getting the belts on mine 2 man job with a pry bar and walking them on with a spanner on the bottom pulley

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Classic shape interior upgrades

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor