A very warm welcome to the forum to the following new member

@SparkySam
@PGA
@Bcato
@Andy1harris
@Bricsen1
@Unibiggle
@HBC

Please tell us a little about yourself and where abouts your are from.

If you wish to see more of the site , maybe The How to section of jobs members have carried out or maybe the online manuals then please upgrade your membership. It is completely free and all we ask is that you Private Message Admin your name and a little message along the lines of ' Please upgrade me ' ( look for the box marked ' Private Messages ' in the top light blue banner, about a third of the way across). we only ask you to do this as it discourages ' spammers ' and ensures only genuine members are upgraded. Your details will never be used for anything else and never passed to anyone else.

Please Note : On average your upgrade should take up to 48 hrs but there are times when it may take longer, please be patient but Admin does it in their spare time

If you have any pressing questions then please ask in the ' Ask Admin /Moderators ' section. Most of the members have access to this section.
We do ask , when posting , that you can supply some basic information about your truck ( such as year of manufacture and series/mark ) to enable a more focused answer.
If you are unsure of which series/mark of L200 you have please follow this link Identifying your ' Series ' of L200

If we could also just ask you to stick a pin in our map for an approx location then our regional reps, when organising events , will be able to contact people within their areas
Adding yourself to the forum Map

Could just let us know where you heard about the L200Forum from please that would be great.
How did you find the L200Forum?

Many Thanks

ronniecabers

and

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

RE: 26-9-18 Welcome to 7 New Members

#2 by AD , Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:56 pm

Hello you lovely people,enjoy the info and the banter.

AD
Date registered 04.13.2014

#3 by krutly , Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:38 am

SparkySam
PGA
Bcato
Andy1harris
Bricsen1
Unibiggle
HBC

welcome aboard everyone

I'm your southwest of England area rep, just give me a shout if there is anything I can help you with
feel free to ask any questions you have and we will all do our best to answer them for you

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#4 by HBC , Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:04 am

Hi thanks for adding me, can I post a question on the 'Ask an expert' section on the forum or do I ask in this section?
Many thanks.

HBC  
HBC
Date registered 09.25.2018

#5 by krutly , Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:09 am

wherever you like bud, @ronniecabers will move any post that needs moving
ask away

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#6 by HBC , Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 am

Ok thanks - here goes ! Ive read much about head gaskets failing so to some extent this has been covered, but I decided to join to see if anybody could kindly advise me on my situation. I have some mechanical knowledge (but not much!) I have a 2003 L200 and a few months back noticed the tell tales bubbles in the expansion tank and fluid had overflowed out of the tank, read up on it everything pointed to head gasket, off it went to the mechanic, as it was the only symptom I had seen (no abnormal temperature readings, no residue in the oil, nothing untoward from the exhaust) I decided (rightly or wrongly but financially (having had a head skimmed on my previous HGF on a toyota hiace which blew immediately afterward)) not to have the head skimmed as I felt i had caught the problem before anything major developed. The head gasket showed signs of having blown in such a place that it was the case of the bubbles, a sniff test confirmed exhaust gasses. Head gasket changed the problem was immediately present again. So it looks like a fault either in the head or the block. What I dont understand is why the head or block should crack if its never (according to the temperature gauge) overheated. The only other problem I had with the engine was in the winter when the external temperature gauge read 2 degrees or below the engine would be very "spluttery" under load over 2500rpm, could that be a fault in the head or block that was only a problem when the metal was cold and then the gasket went some months later? I do a lot of miles on long journeys so im sure if i was driving with a failed head gasket for a long period of time I would have managed to over heat it. So I think I have three choices replace or skim the head and hope its not the block, replace the engine or let it go like many others that seem to be for sale with HGF. I would be interested to hear any opinions, anything else I could try, the vehicle is in good condition, 110,000 miles aside from the bubbles you wouldn't think there was a problem. Any advise gratefully received.
Many thanks

HBC  
HBC

#7 by Unibiggle , Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks everyone. Hoping to find a little info on my new barbarian 😁

Unibiggle  
Unibiggle

#8 by ronniecabers , Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:13 am

@HBC , the first question is , how much time and money are you prepared to invest in it?

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#9 by Tek76 , Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:23 am

And if you spare 5 minutes, you can get the green name turned into blue - free of charge!

I have to say, the quality and the sheer library of knowledge by some of the longer term members is shockingly huge. There are experts in all the models - and they're usually speaking from experience - just ask hotchef!

Anything is possible, all you need is imagination or own a bank!
2011DCLB - No I'm not compensating.

Tek76
Date registered 07.18.2018

Last edited 09.29.2018 | Top

#10 by HBC , Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi ronniecabers, thanks for the question, I spent quite a lot on the truck in the first place as it was very low milage for its age, and Ive already had the head gasket changed and not moved forward so in that sense im loathed to spend any more money on it, however i really like the truck and up until this (big) problem Ive had every confidence in it and im stuck without it. So, Ive been quoted 500 for a cylinder head and 1900 for a built up engine (inc VAT and carriage ) plus fitting. As I can't do any of the work myself, all time will be paid for, while the 500 is the more attractive option if I still potentially have a cracked block, Ive may have got nowhere, the built up engine is a just about justifiable, roughly 2500 fitted, this comes with a 12 month or 12000 mile guarantee so while i understand nobody has a crystal ball, if i have a problem soon after 12 months it will turn out to be a very expensive repair!! Hence my quandary - from what I have read, the 2003 model seems to be very prone to the HGF, is the built up replacement engine a more robust unit worth investing in ?
Thanks in advance for any advice

HBC  
HBC

#11 by ronniecabers , Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Is it a new engine or a reconditioned engineyou are looking at , as I wouldn't trust a reconditioned one , we have heard of too many fail very quickly..

Have you still got the EGR valve and cooler on the truck ? Have you tried changing the rad cap ?

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#12 by HBC , Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi, the quote is from Milners for a built up engine which I think is a new engine. Ive searched for the EGR valve, (the pipe with the corrugated piece in the centre?) and I couldn't see it, I wasn't sure if it is on this model, (I am not an expert by any means but I saw nothing that resembled it) and no I haven't changed the rad cap but I certainly will if it might be causing a problem. Thanks for the tip on the reconditioned engines, ill not pursue that option.
Thanks again.

HBC  
HBC

#13 by ronniecabers , Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Yes Milners is a brand new engine and @Alan G ( the forums owner ) has fitted a few for people. Any advice on fitting etc he's the man to ask. A 53 plate should have had an EGR cooler on it, and would have been very visibly bolt above the exhaust manifold on the left side of the engine ( viewed from the front grille ) . You may well find a length of copper pipe or water pipe in its place. I would definetly try trhe rad cap ... I'm not saying it is the fault , but if system is not pressurizing , it may be boiling the water , hence the bubbles BUT i do suspect you may have a cracked head

ronniecabers
Forum Legend

#14 by Alan G , Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Milners are new engines. In total going for a new engine inc wee bits n bobs would cost about £3000 fully fitted if I was doing it. That includes new clutch, waterpump and thermostat.

Without seeing the motor myself its difficult to advise whats best. A new head might do the trick but if not its money down the pan. All come down to what you tjink its worth to you and how long you woukd want to keep it. If its 100% solid and you want to keep it for about 5 - 6 years then a new engine is my advice but others woukd argue.

So far I have fitted 3 milner engines. 1 to my own but then sold it as my chassis snapped. 1 in @AD s truck in July past and 1 in @Barmy Cow s truck just over 1 year ago. Barmy sent hers to me from Folkstone and AD s from Durham up to Edinburgh on transporters.

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

#15 by Tek76 , Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 pm

Ya know @Alan G , I miss the old Bedford CF style engine handling when it's 6 bolts to remove the front and just wheel on the axle. Did you notice hbc's in France?? That would be a logistical headache and paperwork to get it to you!

Tek76

#16 by Alan G , Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm

For the right money I will go to France 😂😂😂😂

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend

#17 by Tek76 , Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Think I found your next project @Alan G

Tek76

#18 by Alan G , Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Great idea 😁

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Alan G
Forum Legend

#19 by HBC , Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Thank you for your advice, ill certainly stay clear of the recon engine option after your advice. The new engine seems to be the way forward, milners seems to be the way to go and Tanya there has been really helpfull - Ill look again for the EGR valve, but your advice has confirmed what I though, Alan G Im an hour south of caen - if your over this way let me know !!
Thanks again for your help and advice - really friendly forum
Ill keep you posted
HBC

HBC  
HBC

#20 by krutly , Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:55 pm

it's a small world HBC, I was staying with friends in Sallen a few weeks ago

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#21 by Tek76 , Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:14 pm

Small world HBC, im west of you on the british outcrop off normandy! With regards to recon, im a bit of a fuddy. Brakes and engines I'll never use recon. It's false economy, like retread tyres.

Tek76

#22 by HBC , Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:03 pm

A friendly forum, and a small world ! my faith in humanity is restored! Sallen is not far away ! Are you in brittany Tek76 where the weather is better!!
All advice taken on board - next stop milners.
Merci

HBC  
HBC

#23 by Tek76 , Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:44 pm

I said British outcrop - Channel Islands!

Tek76

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
23-9-18 Welcome to 7 new members

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor