Turbo Settings

#1 by Mattelation , Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Hiya, I can see this has been asked a lot, but can't find the answer for my query.

Last night I was trying to diagnose a dead alternator, when i noticed that at idle, the turbo actuator lever isn't resting on anything, meaning it just vibrates a bit and doesn't do anything. This is the part that sits between the max and min boost screws. Is that correct or not? I was going to have a look at it anyway, but seeing it rattling away last night made me want to get it a bit clearer in my head.

As I mentioned, loads of info on how to avoid the overboost problems, but coudn't find anything directly relating to this? If someone could help me out with a kind of baseline normal setup for the two screws I can have a workout and see what's what. Am I right in thinking that the lever should rest on the lower screw all the time?

Thanks,

Matt

L200 Trojan, 2006 last of the old shape, Cooper AT3s, Rear Camera, Various light upgrades.

Mattelation
Date registered 10.02.2016

RE: Turbo Settings

#2 by Mattelation , Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Just re-reading the distructions, it looks like lower screw out about 2mm, adjust the linkage so the lever rests on the lower screw, then set max boost screw? I'm gonna need a boost guage for this aren't I?

L200 Trojan, 2006 last of the old shape, Cooper AT3s, Rear Camera, Various light upgrades.

Mattelation

#3 by Heathen , Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:08 pm

@Mattelation - At idle it should be near but not touching the top screw - are you getting an overboost error code? When you say it vibrates do you mean it moves backwards and forwards (visibly moving the actuator arm) during idle? If so, I've seen this caused by cheap ebay turbo solenoids - some of them seem to struggle to keep up with the duty cycle.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen
Date registered 05.20.2016

#4 by Mattelation , Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:21 pm

No, it's literally the vibration of the engine wobbling the c-clip and top of the pivot. The arm isn't moving at idle. No codes and no problems as such, just trying to see if there's any more oomph to come out of it with a few tweaks?

Mattelation

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Crankshaft pulley....while I'm down there?

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor