L200 losing coolant

#1 by Damian ( Guest ) , Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:04 am

Hi, can anybody please let me know what my 04 L200’s issue could be, as it dumps it’s engin coolant on every journey. The water in the coolant tank seems to boil and bubble when the car stops so I’m guessing the water is coming out of the overflow, but I’m not sure. I’ve tried to resolve the issue by replacing the thermostat and I’ve fitted a new water pump, but the issue is still there. Has anybody here experienced this? Thanks Damian

Damian

RE: L200 losing coolant

#2 by krutly , Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 am

hello bud
alas this is not uncommon
overheating and bubbles in the expansion tank is usually caused by the cooling system being pressurized
there are a few simple things to check first
replacing the thermostat, replacing the radiator cap, making sure the radiator is clean and clear and the fan is turning and making sure the radiator is topped up.
the cooling system only comes into contact as such within the head and in the EGR cooler.
the EGR cooler can sometimes become porous and allow hot exhaust gasses into the coolant but this is rare. Most people will tell you they've blanked the EGR valve already to prevent this happening. You can get EGR blanking kits of ebay and the like for about a tenner.Be aware though that in the future(if not already) some garages may class the removal as a fail for the MOT.
99% of the time overheating and chucking the water out is head gasket failure sadly.
It's not the end of the world as if it's done properly then it should last for many years to come.

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

RE: L200 losing coolant

#3 by 123hotchef , Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:01 am

I second what Kurt has said
if it wasnt the head or head gasket it is likely now

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'