Head gasket

#1 by WillS , Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Hey folks.

Was driving my 02 plate the other day, everything going fine and suddenly smelled coolant burning. Thermometer was at the max position, so shut the engine off and had a look, and the coolant was spraying out of the overflow pipe.

Topped up the radiator with cold water and started again, but thermometer went straight to the top after a couple of minutes. Limped it to a mates workshop with a number of stops and refills and we decided the head gasket was gone - loads of foamy bubbles coming up from the radiator with the cap off. Truck ran fine, sounded fine and I was able to drive it about 10 miles the next day to a nearby garage without the temp going above half but there was still loads of coolant/water pissing out from the overflow pipe.

Garage just rang me, and mentioned something about the older trucks having a ceramic insert which, if it's buggered will cost a fortune. I can't find anything online about ceramic inserts so was wondering if anybodys got any thoughts? I'm hoping it's just the gasket that's gone, so I'll need a new one and the head skimming!

WillS  
WillS
Date registered 09.29.2018

Last edited 03.19.2019 | Top

RE: Head gasket

#2 by krutly , Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:24 pm

never heard of ceramic inserts before

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by WillS , Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:30 pm

That's a good sign! So it's likely just a gasket and head change then?

Weird thing is that the head gasket was replaced under the previous owner, less than 2 years ago.

WillS  
WillS

#4 by AD , Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Quote: WillS wrote in post #3
That's a good sign! So it's likely just a gasket and head change then?

Weird thing is that the head gasket was replaced under the previous owner, less than 2 years ago.

Don't mean they did it right,ie right sequence and torque on bolts!!

AD
Date registered 04.13.2014

#5 by Hattman , Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:16 pm

I've just had head gasket done on my 04 and like others never heard of ceramic inserts?

Hattman  
Hattman
Date registered 01.02.2019

#6 by WillS , Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Well that's definitely a relief. Maybe the guy at the garage was thinking of something else.

WillS  
WillS

#7 by ronniecabers , Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Ceramic inserts? Where exactly was he thinking of inserting them? Never heard of ceramic inserts. I can guarantee my 55plate didn't have any. @Alan G will be able to shed some light on this but I suspect your mechanic has his wires crossed

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#8 by 123hotchef , Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:23 pm

up his rectum the same orifice he is talking out of

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#9 by Alan G , Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:25 pm

It has WHAT..... BOLLOX

I have stripped more L200 heads and engines than anyone on the L200 site and never in 12 years have I came across ceramic inserts. He is either got his wires crossed or trying to rip you off. The block is cast iron and the head is alloy no ceramic anywhere.

Where are you about ?

I would however recommend a new head that way you have piece of mind. I usually fit a newhead, waterpump, belts, thermostat and its usually about £900 - £1000 soof your anywhere near Edinburgh give me a shout.

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend
Date registered 09.30.2011

#10 by WillS , Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Awesome, cheers guys!

The truck is stuck in Shaftesbury unfortunately! They quoted me £650 for a new gasket and head skimming which seemed pretty reasonable. He mentioned the ceramic thing as a "older trucks are known for these being a problem and if we can't find an obvious problem with the gasket it'll likely be the ceramics".

WillS  
WillS

#11 by Alan G , Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:32 pm

Thatis a decent price bit it woll be tje gasket. The head will need skimmed bit ask to get the pump and stat changed as well as its in there so shouldnt be muchmore cost.

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Owned a classic 2001 4 life with loads of mods. Sadly now dead after 11 uears abuse/ownership.

Alan G
Forum Legend

#12 by WillS , Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Oh the joy. Turns out the head wasn't milled flat the last time it was put back, so there was a gap. Gasket blown, head buckled (possibly twice so likely more than can be sorted by skimming), radiator blown on both sides, and stat broken.

Might be time to get a bicycle.

WillS  
WillS

#13 by Alan G , Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Ask tue garage if they are happy to fit brand new parts that you suppy and get a head, gasket set, radiator, stat belt kit and waterpump from Milner offroad. Atleast you will get 5% forum discount @Milner Offroad

Site Owner
Semper Fi

Alan G
Forum Legend

#14 by AD , Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:25 am

Quote: Alan G wrote in post #13
Ask tue garage if they are happy to fit brand new parts that you suppy and get a head, gasket set, radiator, stat belt kit and waterpump from Milner offroad. Atleast you will get 5% forum discount @Milner Offroad

Alan where a little bit pizzed when you typed that.

AD

#15 by WillS , Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Had an interesting update from the garage - everything is finally back together, but now there's water leaking out the side of the engine, around where the gasket was fitted. They're not sure why, so it's all coming off again. Any thoughts? He reckons either dodgy gasket, or swarf in one of the bolt holes after skimming the head.

WillS  
WillS

#16 by AD , Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Or they never torqued it down properly,ask them how they did it and in what sequence and torque settings.

AD

#17 by WillS , Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:21 pm

Ok cheers, I'll check. Is there a guide somewhere to compare it to?

WillS  
WillS

#18 by WillS , Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:03 am

Nevermind, turns out they fitted another new gasket and there's still water pissing out somewhere in the exact same spot, so they've chalked it up as a hairline crack in the head.

Quote is now £1600, which is £700 more than I paid for the truck in the first place!

WillS  
WillS

#19 by WillS , Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Right. Update for anybody interested. The head was inspected, and there were definitely no cracks, and it's been skimmed right down the limit. Still got water coming out from one corner.

The garage discovered the water was coming out UNDER the gasket, so they can only assume it's the block itself which has an issue - they think it's got crazy hot at some point (before I had it, and presumably the reason the previous owner had the head gasket replaced) and the block has buckled somehow.

The only sensible fix to keep the costs down was to use that gasket sealant stuff that you put between the block and the gasket (not the stuff you pour into the coolant), and cross everything.

My question to anybody who knows about this stuff - does it sound like something else, does anybody know what it could possibly be (I'm still slightly dubious that the block itself could get hot enough to buckle without the head cracking or more serious stuff happening) and how long is this going to last before it goes pop again? I've sunk £1000 into the "fix" so far, and it feels like I'm sitting on a time bomb - scrap it now or drive it? It drives fine at the moment, but I don't want to rely on it for a long journey if it's only gonna go bang halfway along the severn bridge or something (I've been there before, not fun)

WillS  
WillS

#20 by Heathen , Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:48 pm

I suppose it's possible to warp the block under extreme heat/stress I'd put money on the head being bad though! - a few other things I've seen before, but not on this particular engine are cracks that run all the way through the block and head and also where the top of the block had rusted out and won't mate properly cos it's been left for too long without a head on. These are pretty damn rare though I would say though. Have your people just skimmed the head? or just inspected it? I'd defo want to have a look at that myself with a good straight edge.

'02 K74 single cab.

Heathen
Date registered 05.20.2016

#21 by 123hotchef , Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:30 pm

what gasket was used?

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#22 by WillS , Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:11 am

Not sure what gasket, but he used two different makes when trying to figure out the problem.

The head was inspected, and skimmed twice. They said a straight edge sat flat on both block and head.

WillS  
WillS

#23 by AD , Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:39 am

If tha block is warped with extreme heat you will need a sealant between block and gasket also between head and gasket.One of the lads has just done his fishing boat like this and it's fine.
I'll ask him what he used.

AD

#24 by 123hotchef , Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:48 am

u say the head was inspected what does that mean just a visual check and a flat edge? was it actually pressure tested? If not Id say chances are the head is cracked internally u will never see those cracks. This is why most of us just opt to purchase a new head from the go

'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend

#25 by WillS , Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Quote: AD wrote in post #23
If tha block is warped with extreme heat you will need a sealant between block and gasket also between head and gasket.One of the lads has just done his fishing boat like this and it's fine.
I'll ask him what he used.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they've done at the garage. There's a thick gunk oozing out all around the join between head and gasket which I'm guessing is that stuff being squeezed out. It's been running fine for a few days now, but my worry is that it'll suddenly go again.

The garage were dead certain the head was fine, and they offered to stick a new one on but told me it was pretty much unnecessary.

WillS  
WillS

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
ABS delete kit

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor