RPM not working and engine light code 46

#1 by Rogeo1983 , Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:58 am

Hi all,

I have a 02 classic L200. The engine light came on a few weeks ago, and the engine lacked power anyway. My mechanic plugged it in, and it gave code 46.

He said the turbo wasn’t working properly, so I fitted a new one, that has made a huge difference, however the light is still on, and I have no RPM.

So when I bought the jeep, the rpm gauge wasn’t working, but now this engine light issue, my mechanic seems to think it’s a fuel pump problem.

Would anyone know of any diagnostics we can perform to decide if it Is an ECU issue, or a fuel pump issue.

Any help very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Rogeo1983  
Rogeo1983
Date registered 03.28.2019

RE: RPM not working and engine light code 46

#2 by ronniecabers , Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 am

@123hotchef had no rpm counter, not sure if he fixed it or not?

First question is going to be , is yours a cable throttle or fly by wire (FBW , no cable from accelerator to engine ) . Yours is in the change over period and this will probably make a difference to the advice you get.

Also what is your mechanic using to read codes, The K74/classic/series3 are MUT3 NOT obd, there are snapon and Delphi readers That can access the codes but other than a dealer MUT3 that is it

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

RE: RPM not working and engine light code 46

#3 by 123hotchef , Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:33 am

i did fix mine eventualy, but it aint a JEEP!

code 46 is the code of death!
it usually reffers to the ROM unit ontop of the fuel pump but these rarely fail I have never seen one fail.
The ecu is normally the problem when you get this code 46. I amsupprised it is not in limp mode too and not reving or driving right.
Any way I would pull the ecu out and then open it and remove it from the plastic box and inspect it for dammage

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Power steering issues

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor