Summer/ distance wheels and tyres v BFG AT's

#1 by Wired , Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:35 pm

I'm sure this must've been asked before, but I couldn't find anything deeper in the forum...

I'm taking a road trip to Bavaria for a bit of rough camping and a sight-see. The truck's perfect for what I'm wanting and as I wasn't planning on any off roading but I was wondering if its worth getting set up with some larger rims and road tyres rather than the std BFG's it's shod with ATM?

The road noise doesn't bother me (I just turn the radio up) so would I get a much better mile per gallon-age and more of a "long distance" ride quality if I swapped to something more tarmac orientated?

I've noticed a few members run seasonal rim/ tyre sets on here... is there anything to avoid or can anyone recommend any 'summer' rims? The 18" Shogun style look to be cheap and plentiful enough on ebay etc. or am I just going to be cursing every day out there when we discover miles and miles of firetrack and forest road...?

Cheers -W

Wired  
Wired
Date registered 07.14.2019

RE: Summer/ distance wheels and tyres v BFG AT's

#2 by Tek76 , Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:46 pm

TBH. You'd be better off with inflation technology. A decent deflator and a pump (which you should be carrying anyway!!) will mean you can customise pressure to conditions - a little hard for roads, and then soften up when you come to the loose stuff. A properly inflated tyre should give reasonable mileage. One to add on to that, is think about what's on the roof and in the tub and streamlining - even putting a tight canvas top over the tub can improve economy.

Anything is possible, all you need is imagination or own a bank!
2011DCLB - No I'm not compensating.

Tek76
Date registered 07.18.2018

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Vacuum pipe to EGR blocked off...

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor