Cutting out at idle

#1 by mikeb1986 , Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:55 pm

As per title, this week my L200 (56 plate pram) has been cutting out now and then while idle or when moving off. Only seems to happen when its cold. Tonight I've changed air and fuel filters as a precaution and its not helped. I also checked that holding the engine at a steady 2000RPM it was still cutting out which is concerning as it suggests it could cut out while driving. When restarting it turns over a few times before starting as if the fuel lines need priming

Searching online suggests possible SCV on fuel pump, which I've ordered to fit tomorrow but I'm open to other suggestions as I'm not 100% sure that's what it is. Last time I changed the SCV (about 2 years ago for an ebay cheapo), it wasn't cutting out it at all, it just went into limp mode and gave me a fault code. This time there's no fault codes showing, no engine light etc. Monitoring the fuel pressure shows a fairly quick drop to about 3000psi before it stalls.

mikeb1986  
mikeb1986
Date registered 04.30.2015

RE: Cutting out at idle

#2 by krutly , Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:00 pm

If you've got a chip fitted (ralliart or agritune etc) then try unplugging it as they sometimes can go faulty over time

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by mikeb1986 , Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Quote: krutly wrote in post #2
If you've got a chip fitted (ralliart or agritune etc) then try unplugging it as they sometimes can go faulty over time

Yeah I've given that a go, I think it was actually behaving better with the chip in

mikeb1986  
mikeb1986

#4 by mikeb1986 , Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 pm

End of the story in case anyone stumbles across this in the future with similar faults.

It was the SCV (suction control valve -I've always called it a fuel metering valve). This is the 2nd time I've changed it now, the first fault 2 years ago was just suddenly going into limp mode and gave a fault along the lines of rail pressure too high.

It's an easy home fix - renove the battery and battery tray for access, the valve is on the back of the fuel pump at the top, 2x 5mm allen bolts and a plug. I'd seen online that it needs coding to the ECU but I've not had to do anything with either of mine

mikeb1986  
mikeb1986

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
the time has come!

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor