I'll start with the rear dif...

#1 by slim chance ( Guest ) , Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:52 pm

hi chaps. I have an '07 l200, er.. warrior I think.. and god knows what the previous owners were doing with it, but there's been a small leak from the rear dif since I got it. only now it seems to be getting bigger. on closer inspection, it looks as if the bottom of the actual housing is rotted/cracked as theres no oil marks coming down from anywhere else. correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the housing for the gearbox is actually part of the whole back axle..? thats expensive to replace! it looks like someone has previously tried to either weld it or put some sort of adhesive/putty on it, as it doesn't look smooth round like the rest of the unit, but whatever the situation, theres lumps of rust and whatever else coming off and I'm sure thats where its leaking from. what does anyone think the best way to patch it back up again is? I got some putty/clay/adhesive weird stuff from halfords, where you're supposed to mix the 2 halves together and it binds in a couple of minutes. was just gonna mix the whole stick of it together and slap it over and hope for the best! any more tactile solutions welcome..!
leading on from that.. I am getting a whine from the gearbox too.. though I think this time from the front.. only in 4th or 5th over about 40mph, but i wondered if gearbox problems were common in this model? I read about the 3rd gear issue with some models, but I assumed that was the automatics. and this goes into every gear fine, apart from 1st. sometimes you have to really shove it to get it to go into 1st. any enlightenment anybody can give me on the subject would be much appreciated, thanks!

slim chance

RE: I'll start with the rear dif...

#2 by ronniecabers , Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:27 am

You could try the ' chemical metal ' repairs , not too sure if the rear axle oil will effect it or not though. May be worth contacting somewhere like Thornton 4x4 breakers for a second hand axle and casing...I hand to have mine changed on my K74 and the whole axle only cost £150.

As goes the gearbox ... I'd change the gearbox oil first and see what happens. When you drop the old oil sieve it through something like an old pair of tights to see if there are any metal filings in the oil , as tahta would indicate an issue within the box

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#3 by 123hotchef , Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:55 am

u will never get it clean enough to use any of that stuff as a repair on the diff, must have been smashed hard to crack it its thick cast, it could be welded or braised post some pics up. what ratio is the diff?

AREA REPRESENTATIVE: South East England
'PYROCHEF'

123hotchef
Forum Legend
Date registered 02.15.2012

#4 by slim chance ( Guest ) , Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:18 pm

yeah i was thinking that wherever theres oil soaked into the metal it wont bind with anything i put on it. my idea is just to slap it over so wide that i catch the area outside the oil where it will hopefully stick. for a while at least.. even if it buys me a few months til i can reassess the situation with hopefully more money! and yeah, when i get time i will have a look at the oil in the actual gearbox. i am expecting there to be a bit of metal in there as it does feel like somethings out of line/sync/whatever.. maybe its just coz I'm always expecting the worst, but it just feels like an expensive problem.. time will tell! MOT on monday though so its got to get through that first. crossing fingers, toes, tied dick in a knot...

slim chance

EGR VALVE
How to release stuck rear seats latch

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor