Dodgy Door Open Connection

#1 by Arx300 ( Guest ) , Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:45 pm

Hi,

I signed up a few days ago, but my membership is still pending so in the meantime thought I'd post a query here.

I picked up my 66 plate Barbarian a month or so ago and have been loving it, but recently found an issue with the "door ajar" warning. (the ding it makes when a door is open). When driving the alert will randomly ping to state that a door is open. I haven't been able to tie down a pattern, sometimes it will constantly flick on and off, other times it will be fine for hours.

I thought it was related to the canopy sensor/switch which had worn and the rubber was all broken on. I removed this switch and used some duck tape to separate the wires and isolate them, however I've found that it is still triggering the alert when driving the vehicle. My theory now is that the wiring for this switch is damaged somewhere between the unit it connects to and the switch.

My next step was going to be to disconnect all the switches in all the doors, then reconnect them 1 by 1 and see when the issue re-appears in order to troubleshoot the faulty switch. If it still occurs when all are unplugged however I'm a bit stuffed, as whilst this may support my canopy wiring theory, it could be any of the wiring back to the control unit?

I've been trying to google where the wires feed back to whatever unit triggers the door open alert but haven't found much. Can anyone give me any advice on where this might be?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
I have other questions, but will leave them for now!

Cheers,
Arx

Arx300

RE: Dodgy Door Open Connection

#2 by krutly , Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:35 am

does the interior light come on and the door open warning light on the dash too or just the ping ?

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#3 by Arx300 ( Guest ) , Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi Krutly,

Thanks for the response.

The interior lights, dash warning light and ping all activate, just as if a door has been opened. That's what lead me to the canopy switch, and now the wiring somewhere between, but that is a complete guess just trying to follow the problem logically back from the initial bit I thought was broken :)

Cheers,
Arx

Arx300

#4 by krutly , Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:59 pm

worth noting there may be a switch under the bonnet that could be causing this too

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#5 by Guest , Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks for this, I assume that's the one behind the light on the driver side?

Does that switch only trigger if the engine is running?

Cheers,
Arx300

#6 by krutly , Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 pm

not sure about that bud, mine is a series 4 so not too sure about the series 5

2003 4life now sold

krutly
Forum Legend

#7 by Arx300 ( Guest ) , Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:18 pm

Will give it a go and let you know.

Cheers,
Arx

Arx300

#8 by Arx300 ( Guest ) , Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:35 pm

I've had a little bit of a fruitless weekend on this one.

I've located the switch for the bonnet and it appears to be doing.. nothing?! As in when I open the bonnet and shut all the doors there's nothing pinging or warning me that something is open.

I "feel" like the issue is still with the wiring from the canopy to whatever unit controls the alerts, but next step is going to be to try to disconnect the bonnet switch as it seems odd that this does nothing at all. The complication is that it sits on some kind of bulk head thing that you can't easily see behind/under. Will give it a go and update with what I find!

Also, apologies if I've missed it, but how do I go about getting an actual account here?

Thanks again for the help!

Arx300

Arx300

#9 by Arx300 ( Guest ) , Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Sooo, I took the bonnet sensor off and had a look at it, it looked a bit dirty so I gave it a clean up but still doesn't seem to trigger anything in the cab.

To test this and the canopy wiring my next thought was to disconnect these one at a time from whatever unit they come back and plug into. Does anyone have any ideas where that might be or what I might be looking for? The canopy and bonnet sensor wiring disappear into areas I can't easily trace them in :-(

Cheers,
Arx300

Arx300

#10 by Arx300 ( Guest ) , Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:20 pm

I just got lucky on this one. Whilst checking some stuff in the manual I found the paperwork for the canopy squashed in the bottom of the book wallet thingy!

The wiring for the canopy roots to the drivers door and connects there with a spurred piece that feeds both sensors into the driver door connection. I've disconnected this for now and plugged driver door sensor back in, so the canopy should now be isolated!

I'll update with whether it's helped or not once I've been out for a drive.

Cheers again,
Arx300

Arx300

#11 by DIANNADISCO ( Guest ) , Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:31 pm

Hi! I'm hoping a couple years on.. someone might of found a solition to this ?. as like me and my 66 plate barbarian.. we are butting heads with exactly the same issue 🥴

DIANNADISCO

2004 L200 (pajero sport?) wheel seizing at low speeds
Turbo losses vacuum

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor