vibration at 50mph

#1 by PorkPie , Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:17 pm

Have just had my truck back from some work, and am having a really loud vibration coming under the truck, around 40+ mph, but nuts around 48-50. Feels like it's trying to shake me into an altered state or something, or like in an xmen film when the brain guy freaks and everyone kind of judders. Anyway, had all oils changed (including front/rear diff, gearbox, and transfer case), new suspension strut (front passenger), new propshaft rear uj, new steering clock squib thing, new speedo sensor. Had 4 new tyres about 3 months ago. All this after a new credit card!

2006 L200 (new shape) Animal Di-D Double Cab 2.5

PorkPie  
PorkPie
Date registered 03.01.2018

RE: vibration at 50mph

#2 by PeteMel59 , Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 pm

I had a similar issue under acceleration, but eased off when cruising or slowing, the centre bearing was shot.

Could a wheel be out of balance?

2003 2.5td K74

PeteMel59  
PeteMel59
Date registered 10.02.2020

#3 by PorkPie , Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:25 am

Quote: PeteMel59 wrote in post #2
I had a similar issue under acceleration, but eased off when cruising or slowing, the centre bearing was shot.

Is that the propshaft centre bearing? My local Mitsi dealer said my model didn't have one?

PorkPie  
PorkPie

#4 by yasser , Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:32 am

Quote: PorkPie wrote in post #1
Have just had my truck back from some work, and am having a really loud vibration coming under the truck, around 40+ mph, but nuts around 48-50. Feels like it's trying to shake me into an altered state or something, or like in an xmen film when the brain guy freaks and everyone kind of judders. Anyway, had all oils changed (including front/rear diff, gearbox, and transfer case), new suspension strut (front passenger), new propshaft rear uj, new steering clock squib thing, new speedo sensor. Had 4 new tyres about 3 months ago. All this after a new credit card!

Personally, if this was mine, I'd take it back to who has just done the work. If it wasn't doing it before the work was done then something is not right.

2017 Series 5 Barbarian

yasser
Date registered 08.20.2018

#5 by krutly , Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:21 am

My check list would be
tyres first , get them balanced just in case you've lost a weight or 2
I'd probably change them over corner to corner too (I used to do this periodically with my old truck)
centre bearing next, I'd be checking for play and replacing if I was in any doubt
steering box next, I'd be checking for play and tightening it if any was found
next on my list would be propshaft as that could easily be the culprit for vibration
I'd be checking it was tightened correctly with all the bolts done up
I'd possibly unbolt it and turn it through 90 degrees to see if that made any difference
failing that the propshaft may need balancing

but as Yasser says, I'd be taking it back to where you had the work done in the first instance
if it didn't do it when you took it in but it does it now then it's got to be on them to sort it out

SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - AREA REP
2003 4life now sold
2011 walkinshaw , lego mechanic

krutly
Forum Legend
Date registered 10.21.2011

#6 by ronniecabers , Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:24 am

If it wasn't there before it went in my guess would be , as krutly has mentioned, that the prop is out by 90 degrees. If they replaced rear uj and didn't notice centre bearing was shot I'd be going to a different garage. Would be bad luck to have l.ost a weight on the tyres ( maybe one underinflated though ... )
It all seem very suspicious of a propshaft issue sweing as they had that off BUT they did the work, it is not right, take it back and get them to correct it

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#7 by PeteMel59 , Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:53 pm

Quote: PorkPie wrote in post #3
Quote: PeteMel59 wrote in post #2

Is that the propshaft centre bearing? My local Mitsi dealer said my model didn't have one?

Sorry yes, the propshaft centre bearing. Easy to check if there is one, have a quick look.

2003 2.5td K74

PeteMel59  
PeteMel59
Date registered 10.02.2020

#8 by PorkPie , Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies, some great info for me. Some more information if it's relevant: the sound is very much like the car is over-revving - a vibration as loud as 3/4k rpm (although the revs are normal 1.8/2k). I noticed that it still happens (and even increases) if i pop it into neutral and coast downhill. I also found it is quietened a fair amount by a left turn.

PorkPie  
PorkPie

#9 by Mallinman , Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:38 pm

As said before bud. If it didn’t do any of this before then don’t touch it and take it back. Get them to fix it. If you do anything to the truck then they can have some comeback. You shouldn’t have to fix it yourself after you’ve paid a lot of money for someone else to do it for you.

2005 OM605 superturbo. Borgwarner s200 @3bar ,3” Stainless exhaust, roll bar, TJM winch bumper, winch BJ spacers and extended shackles, snorkel, iron man suspension, LED light bar x3, 2" body lift

Mallinman
Date registered 10.10.2012

#10 by Nick , Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 pm

Super Select B40 don't have a centre bearing
Easy Select do (same as a Classic)

2017 Ford Kuga AWD 180 Titanium X.
2018 Abarth 595 - Now Sold.
2013 Grey Barbarian - Now Sold
2006 Black Warrior (New Shape) - Now Sold
2005 Black Warrior (Classic) - Now Sold
Stoke On Trent