loss of traction

#1 by Catastrophe ( Guest ) , Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:17 pm

Hey, first let me say I am new to the world of pick up trucks and and 4x4's. However i have spent the last 4 years flying about in a 350z so im fairly used to rear wheel drive.
I have recently bought my first truck is a 53 plate trojan double cab? i think lol has 5 seats :) and also a rear canopy. im under the impression that it was a convoy truck with its previous owner its got orange blinkers front and rear some sort of tracking device. masternaugt i think its called installed when i bought it.
Anyways while driving home from work today was on a duel dual carriageway just come of a round about heading up a slight slope in the wet when suddenly the rear wheels lost all traction and for a moment I was in the 350z fun mode however unexpectedly. lucky there was no body in the right hand lane or i would have 100% taken them out! as it took both lanes to catch it and get back under control.
I was not booting it i think i was in 4th around maybe 2k revs at 40ish in rear wheel drive. i have no idea if traction control kicked in or not. it did feel like there was any loss of power and i couldnt say if any dash lights blinked was to busy at that moment in time.
it did shake me up abit as the whole point of the truck was to have something safer to drive in the winter. im now considering getting rid of it as it feel even more unsafe than the 350z to drive in anything but the dry...
hope someone can give me some tips pointers ect as i do like the truck its allowed so many new adventures that I couldnt do with my car. but if its that unsafe in the wet in a summer month then i cant imagine what it will be like in winter.
Thanks in advance.

Catastrophe

RE: loss of traction

#2 by Nick , Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:20 pm

Are your tyres Bridgestone Duellers, if so that is your problem (They are shit)

2017 Ford Kuga AWD 180 Titanium X.
2018 Abarth 595 - Now Sold.
2013 Grey Barbarian - Now Sold
2006 Black Warrior (New Shape) - Now Sold
2005 Black Warrior (Classic) - Now Sold
Stoke On Trent

Nick
Date registered 10.02.2011

#3 by Catastrophe ( Guest ) , Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:37 pm

Good year wrangles all round

Catastrophe

#4 by ronniecabers , Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Never had any major issues with mine in the wet, might just have been a greasy patch on the road? But a little too fast round round abouts ( not saying you were ! ) , and others have reported a slide , nothin gquite as serious as yours though. Reason they do it is no major weight over the back wheels. Try a 20kg bag of sand in the back if really worried and see what happens . I do think it may have been a greasy round though...oh and how old are the Wranglers? New tyres can be quite slippy , mate of mine many years ago wrote a car of in the snow because of new tyres

Thread locking available here...no fee!

ronniecabers
Forum Legend
Date registered 11.09.2012

#5 by Catastrophe ( Guest ) , Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:25 pm

I was not on a round about I was coming off it driving along a fairly straight road all be it a bit sloped. i could feel the wheels start to break traction. also I made a mistake in original post. where I mention about the traction DID NOT feel like it was on.
Just took it out to test my theory, I went to a round about second gear and gave it the beans and we did a nice loud wheel spin no lights on dash no bogging down in power, just in rear wheel drive. so I am almost certain at this point it has no traction control!...
So what should my next step be. could a fuse have been pulled or something to disable it?

Catastrophe

Strangely Variable Fuel Consumption
K74 3.0 V6 downpipes, exhaust &cat

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor